3rd June 1940

3rd June 1940

A Chapter by Harkness

I made it! After days of waiting on the beach, watching thousands of ships spilling into Dunkirk while the German planes buzzed overhead like angry bees. To be honest I was surprised they were attacking the beach by land, one strong attack would have wiped out most of our forces.

Lucky on the 29th I managed to get myself onboard a tiny ship called the Mary Anne skippered by a young lad from Dover. He high tailed it back to England as quick as the ship would take us.

You can’t imagine the feeling when I saw the white cliffs again, such relief!

 

As it turned out the company hadn’t faired to well in the evacuation, we lost fifteen men either MIA or KIA and at least two officers killed.

The Company has been sent home for leave, obviously the top brass need to time to come up with some sort of plan. The evacuation of the whole British Expeditionary Force wasn’t something they had planned for.

I’m back home with the family getting some well earned rest, I don’t have long though. We’ve been told to report back for duty in two days, it’ll be a sober atmosphere back at barracks, we lost a lot of good men fighting for the frenchies.

 

3 June 1940

Diary of an Unknown Soldier



© 2008 Harkness


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

110 Views
Added on December 30, 2008


Author

Harkness
Harkness

Ireland



About
WritersCafe introduced me to a world of poetry that I have never found before. It gave me the confidence to write and enjoy myself. Enjoying the work is something that has always been key for me, an.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Harkness


The Window The Window

A Poem by Harkness