Running In Heels

Running In Heels

A Story by Xuru
"

The start of a short story, once begun as a poem.

"

There's a monster in my back seat.


My attempts at a quick glimpse prove only useless as the street lights overhead distort it's features.


I grip the steering wheel tighter as the seat belt hisses, constricting me back further.


Quick forming shadows etched across a face threaten to expose pockets of skin and identity.

Her” the voice drawls into me. The hot breath in my ear teases my brain into something more, something real, something I now pray is just a craving that a king size pack of Du maurier might satisfy.


Pulling up beside the curb, I look to my right, struggling to see what has enticed my surprise passenger of the night. Squinting my eyes to strain through the window is no easy task though. When darkness befalls this city, it's sheet is thick. Even after all this time my eyes still adjust as if suddenly foreign and new.


It doesn't take long to spot my monster's fancy. She looks to be pretty, most of those days behind her though as this flower's on the cusp of wilting. Petals shivering and delicate; she briskly walks past.


“You want this...” It's voice trails off further and the car lurches back.


© 2017 Xuru


Author's Note

Xuru
Everything I want to do and can't. In a world with order and repercussions I can purge my mind in the form of key strokes.

On a less edgy note, this is a passage from one of my stories that needs a lot more work. Notes and reviews are welcome.

For your reading pleasure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Good “hook” for a short story. I can see where you could take the plot in many directions. Does the character give in to the “monster” or does he eventually defeat it? Characterization would be interesting. Is he a “good” man or a criminal? A family man? This could be a very interesting story.

Keep writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Xuru

8 Years Ago

I never really thought about following this story through, but characterization could definitely evo.. read more



Reviews

The beginning of this story is very interesting. Your imagery is very eloquent, and I especially love the hook that immediately draws the reader in. Although fighting the "monster" inside is starting to become a common trope in some books or movies, I think your story has great potential nonetheless. I hope you continue writing it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


that's pretty interesting.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Xuru

7 Years Ago

I'm glad you think so.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
You really do have a knack for shining a glittery, prism light on to dark shadows!

Really f****n dig it!



Posted 7 Years Ago


Xuru

7 Years Ago

I think you just might be a fan aha.
BBP

7 Years Ago

maybe ...just maybe ;)
Dark indeed and yet I think we all have a monster of some sort we must fight to remain respectable so in a way also relatable. it would be interesting to see how this progresses and the choice the character makes. Great job

Posted 7 Years Ago


Xuru

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Matt and great analysis by the way.
Good start to an interesting story. So far you have left different avenues open. I look forward to reading how your story developes . Glad to have you aboard, you will fit right in. Richie B.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting story

Posted 8 Years Ago


Xuru

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Melissa.
Bold.

Can I say that this almost feel wrong reading? And can I also say that this is darkly intriguing?
I am unsure of how someone could "look away" from this. You are a very brave writer. I hope you create many beautiful things. I look forward to reading more and satisfying this curiosity, which you have created.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Xuru

8 Years Ago

I feel brave just being able to open my writing up to you guys to be completely honest.
Good “hook” for a short story. I can see where you could take the plot in many directions. Does the character give in to the “monster” or does he eventually defeat it? Characterization would be interesting. Is he a “good” man or a criminal? A family man? This could be a very interesting story.

Keep writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Xuru

8 Years Ago

I never really thought about following this story through, but characterization could definitely evo.. read more
Well that was something. A story that started as a poem? Well keep at it, I love the use of words here and the details are very good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very nice use of words. I wanted to read and know more.
"It doesn't take long to spot my monster's fancy. She looks to be pretty, most of those days behind her though as this flower's on the cusp of wilting. Petals shivering and delicate; she briskly walks past."
The above lines. Strong and create visions and thoughts for the reader. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote




Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Xuru

8 Years Ago

Much thanks for the in depth review Coyote.
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

641 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2016
Last Updated on July 7, 2017
Tags: short story, nonsense, murder, psychological, ramblings, violence

Author

Xuru
Xuru

Canada



About
I write what I know. more..

Writing
Leftovers Leftovers

A Story by Xuru


Room Service Room Service

A Story by Xuru



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bridging Love Bridging Love

A Poem by SZHZIA