This I Believe

This I Believe

A Story by XxBryarxWolfxX
"

This was an essay for English class on one thing we truly believe in, and I chose Pro-Choice to write about.

"

 

         Who am I to say how someone lives their life? What gives me the right to say that what someone chooses, what they decide, what they believe in, is wrong? Abortion, for instance, is very debatable topic that most view as a very wrong and terrible thing to do, however, I believe in pro-choice.

         I could never understand how some people who are completely unattached and uninvolved in a situation where abortion has been the course of action have the audacity to scrutinize the woman who chose to go through with a decision like this. How dare they criticize and insult her for doing what she thought was best? I understand the views of those pro-life, but unless they’re walking in the same shoes as a woman in this position, I don’t believe that they should have an influence on what she should do.

         Why is the first assumption of an unwanted pregnancy almost always careless and unprotected sex? What is there to say that she wasn’t raped, or the birth control she tried to use failed without her knowledge? Is it considered wrong if a woman doesn’t want to keep a child that was unwillingly and viciously forced upon her? Is it still just as wrong if every attempt she tried at preventing pregnancy fails? Does she deserve to go through the hardship of bearing the child because of her simple mistakes?

         It’s not my place to dictate what someone should have to do in any situation where abortion would be a consideration if I’m not involved. It’s none of my business to say so, and not any more my business to force my views upon a woman who need to decide what would be best for her to do. I don’t know if she can support herself, much less a child that she would gain responsibility of. Adoption would be another option, but what if the life her child is adopted in to is much worse than the one she could have provided? I am unaware if her attempted contraceptive failed and having this child would be very hazardous to her health, the birth possibly ending in the mother’s death, her baby’s death, or the fatality of them both. Perhaps the baby will knowingly inherit a deadly genetic disease that will cause it to live for only a few days and the mother isn’t prepared to receive that powerful of an emotional blow. The circumstances that would result in abortion are endless; it’s not as simple as someone forgot the condom or birth control.

         Though people are aware that sometimes it’s not the woman’s fault that she became pregnant, but for them to say she should have the baby anyway I disagree with. She has herself to look after first and foremost, and if she’s not even capable of doing that, how is she supposed to raise a child? It’s her choice if she decides to terminate the pregnancy for whatever reason she sees as valid, but to those who mock and condescend these women, how can they? This is by no means an easy or simple decision to make; it’s not one to decide on a spur of the moment. It’s a decision to destroy something that is completely their own, something they can love unconditionally and be loved in return. It’s a decision to unravel everything that nature has designed them to do, create life. These women have to live with this decision their entire lives, knowing what they’ve prevented, knowing the child they will never be able to have and adore, to spoil. It’s not an easy thing to live with, and they don’t need a person lashing them with reasons why what they did is wrong when most of the time people don’t understand their positions to begin with.

         I don’t know what this woman has been through, or what she would be going through by terminating her pregnancy, but it’s her child. She understands more than anyone what having a child would do to her and her life, so who am I to tell her that her choice is wrong? Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and this, supporting pro-choice, is mine.

© 2011 XxBryarxWolfxX


Author's Note

XxBryarxWolfxX
Opinions? Any criticism is greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would have to agree with you on this piece. While I can see both sides of the issue, they both circle around the great unknown variables. The other side simply lets religion and their beliefs sway the unknown onto a table that they can substantiate through God, which in itself is a choice. Which in a way, makes them all hypocrites in a way. Thus, I'll side with pro-choice simply because it leaves the choice in the hands of the one directly involved.

Aaron

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow....I don't know what to say, but I really like your writing style!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 24, 2011
Last Updated on November 24, 2011

Author

XxBryarxWolfxX
XxBryarxWolfxX

Seattle, WA



About
There's not much to say here, I'm afraid. I'm just your typical teenager. Angsty, depressed, cynical, bitter, sarcastic, fun, discouraged, curious, fun-loving, confused, opinionated, mislead, and i.. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by XxBryarxWolfxX