Dear Diary: My Hero.

Dear Diary: My Hero.

A Chapter by Kayleah R. Buckley

Dear diary,
Well most people's hero's are there fathers, because they are the lad they look up to and look for security. Well mine was my dad, it was my wonderful Uncle! To most people he would just be another man, but to me he wasn't some I wanted to be like he was some I looked up to as I want to be as strong as him. But soon was I to say 'if Uncle Neil can do it, so can I.' Which has now became my saying. 
So my uncle Neil, to most people he was just another sick man but to me, he was a hero. My hero. He went threw hell but he kept strong, as strong as anyone could. My uncle has sick from when I could remember, I don't have many memories of him at his house, most of them are at the hospital. Which I don't mind. My uncle was a very sick man, he was always I'm hospital for different reasons, was also featured on the TV as the sickest patient of the day, once.
Anyway, my uncle had a witch of a wife, I don't like her never have. He had 2 kids, much older then me, they didn't take much care of him. When ever I could, I would go and see him, I would sneak in little treats for him, like ice-cream or something. My uncle was a funny guy, always making a joke even in awkward situations. My uncle lived with my family and I for a few months, which was when he got really sick. I was frightened of lossing, my best friened, my hero, so I stopped visiting him and keep mostly in my room listening to music. I kept it up for a long while, till one day my mum tricked me, she told me "we are going shopping, lets go to Knox." Which I happily agree to, what girl doesn't love shopping?
As we hoped in the car and drove to 'Knox', I noticed my mum turned off the road to Knox. Once she pulled into a car park and we hoped out of the car, we walked into a building which was a private hospital. My mum thought this was a good idea at first, till we got up to the floor where my hero was and walked into the room. I was faced with my worst nightmare, soon my mum retreated it. I saw my hero at his worst, he had tubes all around him, some pump by him and this massive red and yellow tube around him. It has horrifying, something near to forgotten. But underneath all the medical stuff was a tall skinny guy sleeping. 
Threw these years, my uncle never really weighted more then 40kg, but was over 6 foot tall. To me less then 40kg would be under weight and I'm only 5 foot tall, so you can see what it was to him. It wasn't his fault he was so skinny, he just couldn't gain weight. But now when I think about it, he didn't eat much. I never really saw him eat, but he loved cooking shows. Which I could never get my head around, it was always wierd how he would watch mastercheif but never ate food. We would watch these shows together, from when I go home from school till I when to bed. He always liked to stay up late. He also had a thing for coke, where ever he went he always had a can of coke in his hand, it was like beer to him. He would never think coke out of a bottle because it tasted better in a can, which is another wierd thing about him. 
As I thought my uncle was getting better and the hospital was helping him. It was a night, a night of my netball game, I can't remember if we won or lost but I don't care. My mum and I where getting a chicken for dinner, when her phone rang, a dreadful call from the hospital. They didn't call to say he passed away, they called to get the family together. As I saw little tears form in my mums eyes, I didn't think of it. I knew nothing, my mum driving down to get my nana was nothing. I feel asleep that night, like a baby. Not knowing a thing, because everyone was scared to tell me. 
My hero and I had a close relationship, when ever something happened to him. I would know, there was something in my body tell me something was wrong with the other half of me. Even if we where miles apart that didn't matter. We could read each others minds, just by looking at each other, sometimes not even looking at each other. We were like twins, two best friends. 
The morning, it was maybe 7:00 I didn't bother looking at the clock I was to tired and I knew mum would be coming in to tell me to get up and get ready for school. I didn't think much of it when my mind woke me up at this time and say "emergency." I was to tired. So I feel back asleep. I woke back up at 10:54, and I know it was 10:54 because this was the time when my life changed, when I heard the words I didn't want to. 
10:54 am on 21st of August 2009.
I wake out, well more run out to the lounge room to find no one, but my body was telling me something happened. Soon my mum walked out of her room, her eyes red. She pulls me into a hug and says these words "uncle Neil pasted away, this morning at 6:54." Is all she said, which was enough for me. We sat down on the chair and she cuddled me, well she cried I could. Tears didn't come, like most people, I couldn't believe it, my hero, my best friend, my uncle, the guy that was like my dad, DEAD! This can't be true, but it was. All I could think at this time was, the ruff night sleep I had, and I just keep ignoring the signs. Soon my brother woke up and the family came over. 
It had been a few days since my hero past but I still haven't cried only a few tears. Which my started to worry, I keep telling her "I'm okay." Which she new was a lie, the family knew it was. It came to the day of the funeral, I didn't comite to any of the planing since I was only young, I was 11. It was the start of the service and as I walked in and to the front, I saw the coffin and that when it hit me, like a train, it's true, he is gone. I told my self, be strong, don't cry. We got to the middle of the service and I couldn't hold it in any more the tears fell. As my mum hugged me and cuddle me, the service ended and everyone went outside. No one knew how close my uncle and I where but my family did. As we went to the wake, they served coke and only coke with some food. After nearly everyone leaving, my auntie came to pick my brother and I up and take us back to nana's, but she brought some cheeky McDonalds, since the food at the serves want child friendly. 

So this was my hero, he was a great man and he lives on. 
RIP Neil 'Mr Pyjama man' 1960 ~ 2009 
Also I would like to add, my uncle and grandad died on the same day, just years apart. They were also barried on the same day.
Although I can't see my hero, I know he is looking down on me and I hope I am doing him proud.   


© 2013 Kayleah R. Buckley


Author's Note

Kayleah R. Buckley
Hope this is better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on April 9, 2013
Last Updated on April 9, 2013


Author

Kayleah R. Buckley
Kayleah R. Buckley

Never Ever Land, Jewish Christian, Australia



About
I love writing books, I don't think I will ever get published, so it's more of a hobby. I love music and sport as well as reading and writing. more..

Writing