The Surprise

The Surprise

A Chapter by Yug

I come out to see Will standing next to his car. He planted a quick kiss on my lips as I reached him.

"What did Lilly say?" He asked.

"She wasn't in condition of speaking." He gave me a puzzled look, so I said, "She was busy making out with a guy named Jake." I frowned, "or was it Jack?"

Will chuckled, "That's our Lilly."

"Can we go now?" I asked.

"Just a moment," he said and reached into his pocket to take out a blindfold.

"What's that for?" I wanted to know.

"You'll see," he said tying the blindfold to my eyes. He took my hand and made me sit in the car.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see."

Now, that answer just added to my excitement.

We drove for quite a long time. Will went on and on about a basketball game he had last Saturday. I sat there, not listening to a word he said, guessing what his big surprise plan might be.

The car stopped. Will got down, came over to my side and said,"Gimme your hand and get down. Slowly." I got down and he lead me.

"We're here" he said

"Are we? Open the blindfold. Fast." I said excitedly.

"Ok. Ok. I am opening it, but you keep your eyes closed." I did as I was instructed. "Now open your eyes."

I did and when I saw what was in front of me, I was mesmerised. My hands flew to my mouth and his clutched my waist.

"Happy Valentine's day, sweetheart," He said.

I couldn't believe my eyes. We were standing in Will's room which was usually in a mess but today, it was filled with at least a dozen teddy bears. The room was adorned with roses and orchards. Pink and white balloons covered the entire floor. Candles were lit in each and every corner.

"Amber, dear, are you fine?" Will's question brought me back to my senses and I realised I was standing there with my hands on my mouth and tears trickling down my cheeks.

"Will, it's beautiful. It's perfect." I said in between sobs.

He grinned and said, " I'm glad you liked it."

"Liked it? I loved it. Only a fool would not love something like this."

"Yeah. That's why I was worried about you liking it," He joked, which earned a smack from me.

The next thing I knew, he was going down on one knee, holding a small box. My heart started racing. He surely wasn't going to propose. Or was he? How could he? We were just seventeen for god's sake.

I stood there, watching him, planning on how to reject his proposal. I would let him down easy. At first, he would beg me to say yes (what with his eternal love for me and all), but I would stay firm.

He opened the box. And there in the box, sat a bracelet. A wave of relief washed over me. I would've hated breaking his heart. Although I felt a little stupid, worrying for no reason. But thank God. No ring. Just a bracelet.

"What? Did you say something?" Will asked.

Oh crap. I said it out loud.

"Who? Me? No." I said with a little laugh which made me look stupid.

"No. You said something like -- 'just a bracelet', did you not like it? I knew the salesman tricked me into buying it saying, 'its the best one sir'." He said, crestfallen.

"No. It is the best one," I assured him taking the bracelet from the box. "It's lovely. It's just that I thought..." I trailed off not knowing what to say.

"What? You thought what?" Will asked.

"I was worried you were going to propose," I said, embarrassed.

"What?!" He said sounding amused. "You thought, I was going to propose?! That's insane." He said and started laughing so hard that he fell on the bed next to him.

I sat beside him, watching him laugh. Sometimes I can't believe he's mine. The handsomest boy of all the handsome boys, is mine.

He catches me looking at him and says, "What?"

"Nothing." I say.

"If you have finished laughing, then even I have got a little something for you," I say, grinning.

His face lightsup adorably, "Is it? Where's it? Give me."

"You'll have to wait some more. I left it in the car." I say.

"I'll go get it." He says and gets up.

As he is about to leave, he turns around, looks me in the eyes, smiles and says, " be prepared, Amber. I love you and I plan on proposing you one day. I don't want you freaking out that day," with this he was out the door, leaving me with a big, stupid grin.

It had been ten minutes and will was yet to come. I came out of the house. His car was parked across the road as we had planned to go on a long drive. I looked at his car but he wasn't in it. Just then my eyes spotted him, lying on the road. My heart sank. I stood there trembling, unable to move.

Somehow, I managed running over to him. "Will, wake up. Wake up," I shook him, but no response. There was blood all around. I checked his breathe to see if he was breathing. He was. I was a bit relieved. I could not bear the thought of loosing him. I immediately called 911 and took him to the hospital. I informed his parents on the way and they rushed to the hospital.

According to the doctors, he was run over by a vehicle of some sort.

We sat in the waiting room for at least three hours. Those were the worst three hours of my life. Mrs. Parker was crying uncontrollably. Mr.Parker sat there trying to console his wife.

I just sat there motionless, tears pouring down my eyes, wishing it was me, instead of him, who went to the car. Will's images flashed through my mind. The way he runs his fingers through his hair, the smile he had on his face when he went out that door, the way he laughed. And that horrible image of him lying in the middle of the street, in a pool of blood, I could not shake out of my mind.

"Mr. Parker," the doctor said coming out of the operation theatre.

"How is my son? Tell me doctor. How is he?" He said failing to hold himself together.

"His brain has undergone a serious damage. I can't say anything for sure." Will's father collapsed on the chair.

I could see my world crashing down.

.


© 2018 Yug


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on February 1, 2018
Last Updated on February 1, 2018