零

A Chapter by Yuna
"

Prologue

"

What used to be my name, people often ask. To that, I always reply that I did not have one. Then I listen to another question, this time stating what was I called before. This question I can answer with ease�" Kaori, meaning either fragrance or strength, depending on the characters used. Not many understood the difference. But some that did, knew perfectly it was not my name, as it did not fit my character well, and did not mean me.


                My heritage was that of a noble family, serving under a powerful warlord who was currently at an argument with his rival. To assure no war would happen, the rival retainer requested my father to give a child for “educating in another environment in order to achieve enlightment”. Father, Lord Iwasaki was not a fool. He had fifty years of experience and seven children that could easily be manipulated into aiding him, and if he did not give one now, the highly defraying war would break out. Three of his children were boys, always desirable in these times, and four were useless girls, one of them from the first wife, and other three from the second. I was the youngest one, borne by the Lady Iwasaki, the unloved first wife chosen for him by the powerful Lord Morikawa to strengthen his allies. She was from the family of retainers near rebellion. Her marriage to one of the senior retainers had contented them with the new land and resources.

                Lord Katakeyama ordered for a hostage, not a guest. My father had planned to get rid of me while I was not yet born, but my mother pleaded him to spare the child, her only girl. That is why soon after I turned five, I was given in service of Lord Katakeyama’s senior retainer, insidious Takahashi Akihiro. Despite the promises of education that no one cared to give a girl, I was sent to the servant quarters. Lord Takahashi claimed I would be given to him for only a year, but it has already been ten. At first I still held the delusion that my father’s troops would infiltrate the castle and bring me back, but with time it faded. My father forgot about me, or never wished to know. Having the quixotically developed hearing, I distinguished important news before even the lowest servants had the chance to share gossip. Some of it, I wished to never be aware of.

                Noemi became my bodyguard when I was sent to this damned place. The woman originated from the village in mountains, which a retired great warrior found the place to rest his bones centuries ago. Since then, an organisation was founded by his family, picking the homeless children or unwanted young to teach them supernatural abilities. Dexterity so accurate they could hit a moving target in the eye with throwing knives or four cornered stars, strength and speed so great they could lift two grown men and outran fast pursuers, as well as inhuman stamina which allowed to stay awake for a week without getting tired. The elite, the true descendants, could smell and hear like bloodhounds, and spot things from a distance more than half of what eagles see.  They were hired as spies and assassins in the dangerous times�"war was always an opportunity. Noemi swore alliance to me when I had saved her life after an unfortunate mission many years ago. Such things were punishable by death, and given that she was a failure in opinion of her clan’s head, she was in twofold danger.

                Ever since I had turned thirteen, any touch repulsed me; women slapped my face and men attempted to grope my body. Considering this, it was only their fault that their belongings, unbeknown to the owners, were now given to peasants. For a decade, I led a life not much differing from any other servant's. I am both glad and sorrowful that it had changed.



© 2013 Yuna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on January 27, 2013
Last Updated on January 27, 2013


Author

Yuna
Yuna

Philippines



About
... Well, I was published in a couple of newspapers, due to my tendency of writing short stories as a child. After showing a sudden talent to writing, I dumped it, only to seek salvation in it years .. more..

Writing
一

A Chapter by Yuna


二

A Chapter by Yuna


三

A Chapter by Yuna