Overture: Chapter 1

Overture: Chapter 1

A Chapter by Z_Assaad
"

None.

"

Overture

Chapter 1

 

It has come to my attention, admittedly through minimal research of my own, little effort, and some short readings, that music does not have its own religion and/or theology and/or doctrine?!.  Am I wrong?  If so,  someone please let me know.  I am in no way a guru, and this information is in no way perfect and unbiased.  Nonetheless, these are my thoughts.

 At times a Musician may be the only voice audible to “those who have eyes but are blind, and who have ears but are deaf.”  Which way will you lead?  This philosophy is steeped in personal choice, discovery, and growth. It is aided along through the discovery and understanding of Music Theory and Practice.

A BENE PLACITO shall be one of the Musician’s Mantras.  Repeat this until it has indoctrinated itself into your being, having become second nature.  This is Latin, meaning: “Up to the Performer.”

Simply, music is a tool with great intentions.  However, it is “up to the performer”, A BENE PLACITO, how to best wield and use it.

 “To whom am I directing this song, and to which target-demographic?  What is this song trying to convey, and to what am I trying to lead others into?” 

These are serious questions a Musician must ask one’s self before setting out on this life of isolation, and Leadership.

The anatomy of a song is very similar to a mathematical equation, in that a problem is given, without an answer.  The pieces are provided, but not in a way that makes any sense.  It is up to the Musician to place these pieces appropriately.  So that, in retrospect, the story is presented wholly and complete, leading the listener on path to a solution, an answer, or some type of closure. To have this at your disposal, the ability to make sense of the human condition, put  words to experiences and emotions, and shed light upon life’s many idiosyncrasies is the true value of a Musician.  This is the true gift we receive, and we are able to return.  A Musician may provide a semblance of understanding amidst chaos.  The very structure of music lends itself to a methodical and systematic process of acquiring a resolution.  Contrary to Ancient Germanic teachings which preach, “out of Chaos breeds order”, Music instills that “Only order may begat order.”  No number one hit ever came from a jumble of unorganized chords and words.  I could be wrong.  Someone want to fact-check that?

 The "theory and practice" of music is a philosophy in itself.   As far back as oral tradition, and written history can confirm, music and its "uses" have been revered, praised, worshiped, and cursed.  Both the existence and influence of music around the world, and throughout time is readily apparent.  Unlike other dogmas and doctrines, Music is not, nor will it ever be a "secret knowledge" or force.  Music is not to be compartmentalized, and only handed down to those deemed worthy.  Instead, it sits ripe for picking, impartial to the hands it falls in.  For better, or for worse, Music and its application has always been regarded /wielded as a tool on those who have not studied it. “

“To not understand music is to remain unconscious to its profound effects.”

In an effort to apply concrete facts to this Theosophy of Music, and in an effort to better help you understand the origins of music, one must never shy away from alternate literature.  To the best of our capabilities, man has tried for centuries to make sense of the functions and inner �"workings of this world.  It is safe, and encouraged to pursue other outlets of teaching and information.  This is to better establish, and obtain a clear and informed understanding of the World. In reference of The Hebrew Torah, the Pentateuch (or first 5 books of the Christian Bible), also the Quran, Music’s origin remains constant.  Lucifer, the Angel of Light, is created as the greatest of all God’s angels, and set in charge of both Music and worship in Heaven. Farther elaboration reveals, in Ezekiel chapter 28 verse 13, ”…the workmanship of your settings (timbrels) and sockets (flutes), was IN YOU.  On the day that you were created, they were prepared.” Lucifer had, woven into his existence, “timbrels” and “flutes”.  It was not until Lucifer came to be that music came into existence as well. 

Mainly identified as Satan, or the Father of Lies, few people ever call on him The Master of Music. Making this correlation, and distinction is essential in any Musician’s pursuit of musical enlightenment.  Do not be so quick to discredit the teachings and insight born of someone else.  A Musician maintains an open mind at all times to both criticisms, and adoration alike.  Aligning with this thought process greatly increases one’s propensity for incredible growth, be it emotionally, spiritually, or musically. If, with music, a person may drive other's emotions, evoke their imagination, plant a thought, promote a thought, permeate a thought; even create a world, then what may true evil accomplish with it?  Despite how "advanced" we have become as people… (civilized people) through and by music we still formulate  our ideas and opinions; and judge what is hip, what is popular, as well as whom.   

These are just some practical applications of music; the most common uses, perhaps.  THE REAL IDEA behind music, its purpose, and its uses, seem selfishly saved for only the accomplished Musician/Artist to discover.  Therefore, the full extent of music and its innate capabilities remain indiscernible, and naturally hidden from common understanding and thought.  A perfect comprehension of music theory still eludes me, regardless of my musical intelligence and accomplishments. This leaves me wondering if there is a “perfect understanding of music”, or a state of “Musical Nirvana”, so to speak. 

“To this I say, ‘May we reach ever forward, striving for our own musical enlightenment, whatever that may be. This fact stays true: “Even the smallest beginnings and foray into Music Theory and Practice reveals, teaches, and develops within you the ability to relate with, and entertain humanity.’ ” 



© 2014 Z_Assaad


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Has anyone managed to read through this in its entirety? Please lend me some feedback. Both criticism and adoration are welcomed.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
1 Review
Added on November 15, 2014
Last Updated on November 15, 2014


Author

Z_Assaad
Z_Assaad

Salinas, CA



About
My name is Ziad M. Assaad. Most people initially think my middle initial stands for Muhammed. It does not. It stands for Mustafah...no, seriously, my middle name is Matthew. My mother wanted to ma.. more..

Writing
Turtle Turtle

A Story by Z_Assaad