Winter's Butterfly Kisses

Winter's Butterfly Kisses

A Poem by Peter Zaelio

I saw a butterfly the other day.

She seemed to fly around the room spreading joy to those that dared to draw near.
She knew that many desired her, but feared that they would touch her wings and she would never fly again.
She wanted to stay bright, and she wanted to stay free and she had always been just outside of my reach, to the point that I wasn't even sure that I wanted to reach her at all.
But I loved her still.
Still my heart lept at the sight of her wings, the joy on her face as she fluttered around the room, and how free she made me feel.

The butterflies that resided in my stomach always danced excitedly whenever their queen would draw near, hoping she would give them one second of attention.
And so I offered gifts and sweet words in hopes of attracting her closer and wondering if she'd ever pollinate the flowers of my heart.

But soon winter had crept into my life and I began to realize that I was the cold that was bringing death to the butterfly, as if I was the one that had ripped the wings from her back. So I had to leave and allow Spring to come and bring new life to her.

When I see her now I can only do so from afar, for fear of bringing cold to her wings once more.
I can only hope that I can become the winds of Spring so that I may help you fly higher and farther than you had ever dreamed.

I love you Lady Butterfly.

© 2016 Peter Zaelio


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awe, this is a bittersweet writing. Sometimes love does not turn out the way we want it, and it does break our hearts, but we do want the other one to be happy if we truly love them, we want them to soar. At times we still want to be there to help them, sometimes it takes patience to wait for the appropriate time, other times we have to let go, either way it can be very hard. I liked when you mentioned about the butterflies in the stomach and they would dance when she drew near, it was very fitting. I also like the play on Spring and Winter. My favorite line is when it says "I can only hope that I can become winds of Spring so that I may help you fly higher and farther than you ever dreamed," such a beautiful statement.

Great Job

Posted 8 Years Ago


beautiful and well imaginative. good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Love can do miracles. If you try hard enough, maybe She will learn to survive the winter. Or you can be the perfect weather for the Butterfly.

Posted 8 Years Ago


-- sheer magic... -- there's something divine about being self-deprecating... -- maybe when we're self-critical, it's because we need to self-correct... -- i hope that the speaker in this piece self-corrects to whatever extent is needed before flying close to the flutterby without the fear of harming her... -- that's the kind of sentiment this heartsong evokes...

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 24, 2016
Last Updated on February 24, 2016




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5