Popular Mechanics

Popular Mechanics

A Poem by Peter Zaelio

“It's going to be okay isn't it?”
“Yes, it has to be.”

We are two entities that can never be one
Two coins of the same value, but never two sides of the same.
Two peas each wrinkled or smooth as Mendel found us, but never two peas of the same pod.
We're the same, You and I.
But just like a southern pole to another in a magnetic field, we can grow close, but never truly touch, or be together.

We were always something that should be
But we'll always be something that never will

“It is what it is”
And that's okay, it has to be okay.
Sadly our fate is resigned to never together, but never apart.
I couldn't survive losing you
And you say you can't survive without me.

So now what?

I move on to find new love as you will, but always know that the sight of you will oil the cogs of my heart and fuel the fire to make them work overtime.
Every time I see you with someone else those cogs will rust and make it hard for them to turn at all, resulting in only my tear ducts working in time with my still heart.
My brain will freeze and the one I'm with will leave, knowing they could never turn the gears as you did.

So now what?
I applaud your accomplishments and root on for your love, watching you be the mechanic to someone else.
But it's okay.
It has to be.

Because you're my best friend.

© 2016 Peter Zaelio


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
I think it reads more like prose (or a prose poem) but nonetheless a well-written piece with lots of nicely articulated lines. I like your choice of words, it works and matches the content.

Posted 8 Years Ago


-- yet again, i am absolutely stunned by the way you peel the layers and reveal the complexity of a complex situation... -- i dunno if this is autobiographical but i know that i am going through something similar in my life... -- i have given 'friendship' greater priority... and no matter how strange the situation is, it gives me peace... and it gives me freedom from chaos... -- my guess is that i am not in a position to deal with the chaos of a romantic equation... but then this could be something that is peculiar to me... -- more importantly, this is an excellent piece of writing... -- even if i didn't relate to what it says, i would've liked it immensely...

Posted 8 Years Ago


. serah .

8 Years Ago

-- well... this page has several views that aren't mine... so people do read your work... but they m.. read more
Peter Zaelio

8 Years Ago

I understand the whole review bartering thing. I get it, I really do. I'm happy that I am able to he.. read more
. serah .

8 Years Ago

-- you're very welcome... and thank you for your kind words... :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 31, 2016
Last Updated on March 31, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..