The Dark Obelisk - Chapter One

The Dark Obelisk - Chapter One

A Chapter by Zero Darius Drawn
"

Warning: Contains nudity and disturbing imagery. Zero has been pulled into a nightmare world by Yggdrasil, but he doesn't realize this place extends much deeper than his dreams alone.

"
Everything around me was dark, blackened. I felt something grinding into my nose, and it was with a pained grunt I realized I was lying facedown on the ground. My whole body ached. From the tips of my ears down to my toes, everything was sore and hot. The temperature here...it was burning up. Where the hell was I, anyways?

A few moments passed as I worked up the strength to push, paws braced against the ground and body slowly lifting. Easy does it. I must have been down for awhile, every limb felt stiff and immobile. I grunted in pain as I rose up, slumping backwards with my weight on my knees. I took in a deep breath of stale air as my eyes slowly opened, hazy shades of dark green quickly becoming apparent to me.

<Where am I?> As my vision continued to clear, it became quickly apparent that I wasn't in Kansas anymore. Having never actually been to Kansas, I could safely make this assumption based on this place not being something you'd ever find on earth. More, you'd find it in nightmares. The sky above me was an obsidian black, laced with streaks of jade lightning that crackled across and illuminated acidic, smokey ember clouds. Every jolt of lightning was met with a delayed roll of thunder which sounded very distant, making the commotion seem much further away than it looked. All the better for me, I wasn't really in the mood to end up crispy from a stray bolt.

From the sky my view traveled downward, facing that which surrounded me. I found myself upon a raised stone platform, looking about 60 feet tall and 20 feet around or so. The ground beneath my feet was hewn from scorched earth, cracked fissures running between the roots of small shriveled up trees and shrubs which had died long ago. Stiff and brittle, I imagined they'd flake apart if I touched one.

Looking out beyond the platform in front of me, I could see nothing but a great darkness that seemed to stretch on into eternity. The flashes of lightning brought no discovery - far as I could tell, there really wasn't anything out there.

With a frustrated sigh, I rubbed my eyes and felt my shoulders slump. I was sore, weak, and tired, and it was pretty obvious what was going on here.

"Another one of your games? You already tried this crap before! Fool me once, ya know!?" I said as I swung my fist at the air. "Heck, if I just sit here and dun do nuffin Khaze'll be along to wake me up. What'll you do about that, eh? Ain't nuffin, I bet!" I wondered if he could even hear me, or if he even cared to listen? Yggdrasil never seemed the very attentive type. Not like I cared, honestly. I could just sit here and wait it out. What good would he do messing with my nightmares if I just downright ignored him? I crossed my arms defiantly and stuck my tongue out at the sky. The sky, in turn, flashed with lightning as per usual, thunder rolling across me.

Waiting patiently seemed to work for about half an hour or so, but the keyword there was -patiently-. The lack of anything significant happening over time had actually begun to get on my nerves...I mean, it was fine and dandy if I were to wake without a single story to tell, but if Yggdrasil had it in mind to put me here, he didn't seem to be trying very hard to get to me. Not to mention the itch of curiosity was really starting to bug...this being a dream and all, what would happen if I just ran and jumped off the damn platform? Maybe the jolt'd wake me up. Actually, I hadn't bothered to look over the edge. What was down there, anyways?  Paws firm against the ground, I pushed myself up to my feet, catching myself mid-stumbled as I regained balance. Couldn't hurt to have a looksee, right? With that in mind, I shook out my shoulders and walked to the edge.

Far below me was ground as desolate as that upon which I stood...I scanned slowly upward, trailing the ground to the horizon...

I couldn't breathe.

Thousands. Thousands of...

They looked human, but their bodies...

<Oh my god...>

Pale, lifeless skin...bodies emaciated and wrought with nutritional ruin...every one of them looked thin, decrepit, broken. Old, wrinkled, ragged skin clung tightly to their skulls with grossly distended necks which bent backwards, affixing their closed-eye gaze towards the sky. Gangly, bony arms hung limply at their sides, fingers pale and skeletal. Ribcages framed against worn flesh, legs spindly and thin. Each one, mouths held agape...they looked like they were screaming.

Thousands screaming a scream that could not be heard.

I shivered and hugged myself, backing slowly away from the edge. <This is a nightmare,> I told myself, <You're gonna wake up. Khaze'll wake you up, remember? Don't let it get to you.> I closed my eyes and shook my head, breathing deeply. Just a nightmare. I knew that already. Yggdrasil had tried this before...but...

<It...it hadn't been this bad.>

I just had to deny it. That's all. Deny that any of this was real, and open my eyes. They'd be gone.

<But...what if they aren't?>

Wouldn't matter. They weren't real. They never were real and never would be real. Even if they were still there, they couldn't hurt me. My paws slid up and down my shoulders as I nodded softly, confident in this resolution.

<Count to three...open your eyes...if they're still there...> I breathed in deeply, filled my lungs with musty, dusty air, <...then give 'em the damn finger.>

I jumped with tensity as thunder rolled above. I had to get this over quick.

<One...> My paws dropped to my sides.

<Two...> I clenched them into fists.

<Three!> My eyes shot open as I forced myself to look over the edge...

<I knew it!> Nothing. Nothing remained but desecrated earth. Where there once had been legion, now there was none. A triumphant grin spread across my face as I was filled with relief.

"Told you," I said, "Told you you stinkin mole! You gotta try way harder than this!" My voice echoed into darkness with nothing but the boom of thunder to respond. I nodded with pride and decided to return to my original spot to wait this all out. I turned around and made to walk back...

I froze.

"Kh-kh-khaze!? Wha...what're you...!?"

Khazetuha stood but mere feet away from me...and the most quickly apparent thing about her was that, presently, she was completely in the nude. My gaze quickly turned more to the sky and I cleared my throat, blinking a bit.

"Might wanna put something on, ya know?"

She giggled quietly. The soft, sweet tone of her voice tickled my ears...although her lack of wardrobe was a bit surprising, it was nice to have a familiar face to accompany me in this place, whatever it was.

I heard her feet crunching gravel as she slowly approached me. I felt a fingernail drag along my throat and peered down just in time to catch an eyeful of her breasts; pink, perky, and right in front of my face. My cheeks flushed with red as I immediately looked towards the sky again.

"Jeeze Khaze!"

"It's okay..." She spoke quietly as her hands slid across my cheeks and came to rest behind my ears where they scratched softly, which felt pretty nice. I could hear a gentle purr from her chest.

"What're you doin out here?" I asked, keeping my eyes up and hoped my nose wouldn't start bleeding. She didn't seem to respond for awhile, content to just scratch my ears and purr...I didn't completely mind. Something of an oasis in this desert of unpleasantry.

"It's okay..." She said once more, and I felt her fingers grip as she began to guide my head down, to face her...

"Hey! W-w-w-w-ait!" I protested, but she seemed to have no intent on stopping as she shushed me and continued to guide. I felt my cheeks growing hot as I shut my eyes tight and kept them closed.

"Whats the matter," she cooed, "are you afraid to look at me?"

"Well, er...you're kind of naked, you know?" I felt her thumbs brushing softly against my cheeks. Her touch was warm, and gentle...it felt good, but this was very unlike her...

"But I want you to look..." She said as her nails drew across my cheeks slowly.

"I c-c-c-c-an't do that! Y...you're..." She was my sister! I couldn't look at her like that!

"Don't you think I'm beautiful?" Her voice sounded sad and I felt a sudden rush of unwelcome guilt run through me.

"No! I mean, yes! Of course! You're really pretty! But...Khaze, this is a dream! You don't know what you're talking about!"

"But if this is a dream...that means you want to see. It's okay, Zero. You can look..." I felt her thumbs brushing underneath my eyes. She kind of had a point there, to be honest...I mean, if this was a dream, and I was dreaming it, that meant I wanted to see, didn't it? Or was I just loopy from everything going on?

<Dude, she's your sister! What are you thinking!?>

"Khaze...it'd be wrong...please! Go put something on!" My paws came up and I took hold of her wrists. My grip was stern, but gentle. "Please, this is embarrassing..."

"Zerrrrooo...." She cooed softly, and I felt her arms slip through my paws as they began to encircle me, felt shivers running through my whole body...I smelled blueberry upon the air, her favorite scent..

"Khaze...!"

"Zeroooo...you're so tired...relax..." Her arms slid down my own...her hands down my back...oh man, she was warm...

<What'd be the big deal? Not like anyone'd know...>

I felt my resolve weakening...really, what -would- it hurt? It was a lot better than just sitting around waiting to wake up...and it wasn't like I hadn't had some thoughts before. Could I be blamed? I was with her all the time...I had to be, to protect her. Was it that far out to imagine that we might've eventually...?

I felt her push against the back of my head and my eyes snapped open in surprise...my neck slid snugly against her bosom, her arms crossed over my back and held me tight. My cheeks flared with intense heat as I looked up in shock.

"K-k-k-k-khaz----" My words were cut short as she pressed her lips against my own...I felt my whole body go weak as I stared into those soft pink eyes, felt her purr vibrate through me...the warmth of her strong embrace, the caring caress of tender lips...shock gave way to desire...she was so warm, so comforting...I needed her, I needed this...I could hear her voice in my head, telling me it was alright...it was alright, wasn't it?

My paws seemed to move of their own accord as hers roamed across my back. With my eyes closed, I gently took hold of her sides and slid my fingers upwards, touching through the silkysoft fur of pinkness and feeling the skin beneath. Her kiss seemed to deepen with my touch...her paws secured the back of my head and held it steady as her lips pressed more passionately against my own, her breasts moved more snugly against my chest...

My heart was racing. It didn't feel wrong...especially with what I had just seen...I mean, I needed someone to comfort me...why couldn't it be her?

I slid my paws across her belly...I felt her twitch and press closer to me, a quiet noise like a moan...up and up my fingers went, gracing her fur, tips of my fingers tracing her skin...anticipation grew in the both of us, shivers which ran through her also ran through me...I graced the very edge of her breasts and she gripped me tightly with arms around my neck...I heard her tell me it was okay...it was okay to touch, feel, and explore...I wanted to...

<It's alright...>

My fingers brushed against luscious, supple...

...cracked, dried skin. An acrid smell flooded my nostrils as my eyes snapped open and peered into dark, lifeless sockets...

I let out a muffled scream as I shoved her and stumbled backwards, lost my balance, and fell off the edge. My arms shot out as my paws caught the edge of the platform, claws dug into earth as my whole body lurched forward and slammed hard into the side of the plateau, which completely knocked the wind out of me. I coughed and sputtered, trying to breathe in my panic, trying to hold on.

<Her face...> I hadn't seen it. Thin, grey, mummified...

<Her body!> Gangly, emaciated. There was no way. That didn't happen.

I grimaced and pulled hard. No matter what, I had to hoist myself back up there. Even if...even if she was there, like that. I couldn't let myself fall. I couldn't---

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" I cried out in agony as I felt sharpness stab into my fingers, pain like electricity shooting down my arms. I looked up and met her gaze...

Met it's gaze.

A pure evil looked back at me...it had no eyes, no life behind them...it's mouth was turned into a horrible grin, lower jaw distended as needlelike teeth jutted upwards....blood ran down my hands and dripped onto my face...

Slowly it leaned over the edge, it brought it's horrible, malformed visage closer to my own...the acidic scent of decomposition stung my nostrils...deep within it's maw I could see a vile purple glow...sharply, it hissed, it's voice whispery, reptilian...

<You are alone here...> It breathed out, searing wisps of ash slithered across my cheeks and stung my eyes. I squirmed, tried to hold on...just had to hold on... <Your scream will be drowned out...those who speak not are never heard...and never, will you.>

It's bony claws dug deeper into my fingers...my eyes slammed shut, tears ran down my cheeks as pain burned in my paws.

<They wish for your company, below...> It spoke...and I felt compelled to look...I glanced down...slowly, eyes opened...

They were there. All of them. Gathered around the base of the pillar. They all looked up at me. Eyes black as darkest midnight, they almost seemed to suck the light away from the areas around them. I looked back up at the creature which kept me there...I was paralyzed with fear...I could feel it inside them...they begged for me, begged for my death.

<Bleed.> It whispered sickly...it's claws raked back...I let out a scream of pain, of fright...

<No....no no no no no no no no no!> I cried inside...it pushed my hands...they slipped from the edge...

Everything became slow as gravity took hold of me...my body whirled around and faced the ground coming towards...they all watched me...I couldn't stop...I was falling...

<Khaze...help me!>

She wasn't there. Nobody was there. I was alone.


© 2010 Zero Darius Drawn


Author's Note

Zero Darius Drawn
All comments welcome, but please disregard typos.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
Added on July 9, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2010


Author

Zero Darius Drawn
Zero Darius Drawn

Fairborn, OH



About
There's a lot to learn about me, and I've been learning a lot about myself. I'm simple on the outside, and you could say some of my desires are simple on the inside too - I want to live, love, laugh, .. more..

Writing