Into the Alternate

Into the Alternate

A Chapter by Z. Shepherd

"Where have you been?!"  Dawn rushed to Stasia as she entered their loft.  "You could have told me you were leaving," she cried as she embraced her friend.  "Give me a heads up next time, okay?"
"I'm sorry," Stasia said, returning the hug.  "You know how I get."
"Where did you go?"
"A bit north," was the short reply.  Stasia didn't feel like talking, so she went to her room, Dawn following behind like a puppy dog.
"To the mountains," she guessed correctly.
"Yup."
"Stasia!" Dawn pleaded.  Her friend turned around and gave her a patient face that inquired, 'Yes?'.  "I... I want you to know, that no matter what you're going through, I'm here for you.  If you need someone to talk to."
This was a warming statement, and a half-smile appeared on chapped lips which formed the words, "You're alright, Dawnie-girl.  I quite like you.  Thanks for all you do."  And with that, she shooed her roommate out the door, who was reluctant to leave, but knew to acquiesce.
        The door was gently shut and then leaned on with one hand; with the other, Stasia pinched the bridge of her nose.  I'm so sorry, Dawn, she thought.  I'm sorry I can't return your compassion, or let you nurture me as you need.  I'm sorry I don't let you in.  I'm sorry I don't know what 'in' is.  Slowly, she descended to the floor.  I'm sorry you don't know me as you should.  Stasia Benedict started to cry silently.  I'm sorry I don't know myself
        And for all the times she never cried, she let tears fall.  The build-up from a lifetime poured out of her, but never did she make a peep.  Her silence pained her, physically, leaving her throat raw and swollen, her chest quaking.  Eventually, she passed out, right there on the floor. 
        If only no dream would come.

       
        There was a storm above the surface of the pond.  In the depths was a body, drowned but not dead.  The girl who was not Stasia was woeful and defeated.  She watched the lightning, listening to the muted thunder that followed seconds after.  There was movement in the water, something large was swimming towards her.  A hand grabbed her arm, tugging.  She fought angrily, especially so once she saw his face.  They struggled until lightning hit the water, electrocuting them.  One fell unconscious, the other was unaffected.  The girl, with reluctance, brought his body to the shore and resuscitated him.  The storm raged, a manifestation of her power.
Coughing and sputtering, "How could you?!"
"WHAT," she sharply bellowed.
"You know I'm not like you!  That really, really hurt!"
"F**k off, Solus, why are you here?"
"Mother Crow sent me, you selfish pompous jacka-" he spit up fluid, clenching his torso in pain.
"Why does she care what I do?  This has nothing to do with her."
"Caeli," Solus begged, "please stop doing this!  You're driving us all mad!"
        The rain rushed down harder, and the sky became black.  There was so much lightning cracking near that the thunder became overbearing, rumbling constantly.
"Could you do something about this?!"  It was a scream, just to be heard.
        Caeli's lips moved and the weather cleared, swiftly, leaving the late afternoon sky merely overcast.  She looked at Solus, anger replaced by calloused disregard.  The girl who was not Stasia turned to walk away.
"Please," came a voice, "please don't go, Caeli."  Solus was frustrated.  Caeli only halted, she did not look back.  Solus struggled to his feet, then came up behind her.
"You know this is futile.  You know you can't die yet."  He turned her around, moving her sopping wet hair away from her face.  She did not look him in the eye.  "What would we do without you?"
        Caeli uppercutted his face, he stumbled back, and she ran away.  She ran until her bare feet bled.  She ran as far away as she could.  She ran until she found her favorite cliffside.  With great freedom, she ran until she leapt off its edge.  Caeli smiled sadly as she plummeted into the canyon, the wind whipping through her beautiful hair, the sunset casting the clouds aglow, the ground coming to meet her with depressing speed.


© 2013 Z. Shepherd


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on March 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 12, 2013


Author

Z. Shepherd
Z. Shepherd

About
I ponder the implications of existence. more..

Writing
Copywrite Copywrite

A Chapter by Z. Shepherd