Mia

Mia

A Story by Alexa Tasch
"

Sorry its really long, but I wanted to make it good. Sorry the title sucks too.

"

     It was day time as always in the magic forest. Sunlight was streaming through green leaves, shining with fairy dust. It stuck like honey to the trees that reached high up into the sky and tickled the heavens with their branches. The air was warm and comforting. Hidden amongst the trees was a large outdoor pavilion. The floors were checkered with black and white marble. Tall crystal pillars held lengths of pale pink cloth, casting a cool shade over the guests. A throng men and women twirled around in the pavilion, each clothed in their finest attire. The women wore corsets and large flowing hoop skirts the skimmed the floor. The men bore tailcoats and top hats. Every outfit was strung with beads, and pearls, and gems, all glittering in the light of lanterns hung hither and thither. The sunlight gleamed off of a nearby lake, bluer than blue and filled with mermaids, and shone through the crystal pillars, casting rainbows across the faces of laughing dancers.

     Music drifted through the pavilion from a violinist in the corner. He stood sturdy and majestic and was the only man not wearing a top hat. He was bent lovingly over his instrument and playing a sweet and upbeat tune. Other music was heard, a piano, a cello, and another violin of two perhaps, but no other musicians were to be seen. Instead, the music can from the muses floating dreamily unseen above the dancers.

     Opposite the musician, in the other corner of the pavilion, was a feast laid out on a long table covered in lace. Tiny cakes in all pastels were on silver platters. Jams were in jars set out in a rainbow pattern. A small emerald fountain with an angel on top poured out a blue punch that tasted like gold and love. Rows of teacups were also set out, white with a ring of small red roses and green leaves around the top. These cups sat untouched, the amber liquid still steaming and warm thought it had been poured hours before at the start of the ball.

     Mia waltzed out from the patchwork of swirling dancers and into the daylight. The corset of her dress shimmered orange like the heart of a fire. Her skirts faded down to the bright yellow of daffodils. Strings of pearls looped around her skirt and shards of ruby were fastened to her corset. The top layer of her brown hair was tied up in a bun on the top of her head with the rest cascading down her back. Her hair, unlike the other guests, was tucked behind her ears.

     She stood on the edge of the pavilion, where the marble dance floor melted into soft lush grass. She hesitated, torn between the alluring music floating behind her and the warm glittering sunlight. Gingerly, she slid off her gold silk heels. She stepped into the green grass. The feeling of the earth of her bare feet sent chills of pleasure up her spine. Behind her, the ball continued. The violin began to crescendo and a couple in matching purple satin laughed in high chiming tones. In a burst of confidence, Mia picked up her skirt and twirled out from the pavilion area in to the sunlight. She spun in a fury of exhilaration and wonder. She stopped suddenly and breathlessly. Mia glanced back, smiling. The ball continued on still and she was just fine with that.

     A dazzling blue butterfly flew around her. Mia turned her back to the dancers to watch it. It fluttered gently to and fro, landing on tiny purple flowers poking through the earth. A small fairy, no bigger than the minute hand on a pocket watch, crawled out from beneath one. It flew up to Mia’s nose and giggled. Then in the blink of an eye it was gone, flown off to some to another glittering place in the forest. Perhaps it flew to a hollow in a tree or an empty well by an abandoned witch’s house.

     By then Mia had caught her breath and turned back towards the pavilion. It was as she had left is, save a tall gentleman standing in the middle of the chaos of dancers. He bowed ever so slightly towards Mia, lifting this top hat, black with a red ribbon and bow. Mia sank into a graceful curtsy out of politeness. She lifted her chin and looked away from the man. With long graceful strides, she walked back to the pavilion where she and left her shoes. Shirts of all colors swirled by, but Mia could not find her shoes. She stood in the pavilion, the marble cold on her feet, wondering where they could have gone. Just then, a red silk glove was place on her shoulder. Mia turned quickly to see the gentleman from before.

     He was a full head taller than her and very handsome. He stared at her with intensely blue eyes. Mia stared right back, not giving away anything.

        “I believe,” he said in a voice that reminded Mia of black velvet, “that these are yours.”

     He held up Mia’s shoes. She took them and curtsied again, this time less elegant than before, and turned to leave. The man placed his hand on the crook of her arm this time, firmly. She did not react and let him escort her to one of the white chairs by the cakes and jams. Mia sat quietly and put on her shoes. Then she looked up to better examine her new companion. He was wearing a tailcoat with a red vest underneath to match his gloves and hat. Black hair hung down to his chin and was parted to sweep off to the left side of his face and out of his eyes. He smile was sweet but there was something in his eyes that Mia hardly noticed. It seemed as though he looked at her as if she were making a fool of herself and didn’t know it. It seemed almost like he pitied her but was smiling to hide it.

   Before Mia could think and more about it he said, “Are they yours?”

    “Pardon?” she asked in a voice that reminded him of a winter river rushing over ice covered rocks.

    “The shoes, are they yours?”

    “Yes, they are. Thank you. I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of learning your name?”

    “Droxel my lady. It is pronounced Drocel, but spelled with an x instead of a c.”
       Mia smiled politely at the foolish name. Even in a place such as the pavilion, where magic writes people’s fates, she could not believe in such ridiculous name. She nodded and thanked him again for the shoes. Droxel’s smile was enchanting and Mia was surprised to find herself wanting to stay and talk with him. However, she excused herself and went off dancing into a fury of twirling bodies. The music was growing louder each beat. She joined in the commotion, jumping, spinning, and clapping in time. As the song reached its climax the violinist stopped and glided into a slow sweet waltz. This disturbed none of the guest though. The all broke off into pairs and formed a circle around a single girl. She positioned her feet as all of the music faded away, save the one single violin. The muses floated down, still unseen, to lend their wisdom and power to the girl.

     Mia stood, poised and ready, centered in the circle of guests. The violinist paused and started a slow wondrous melody. Mia dipped into a bow then lifted the edges of her skirt and began to dance passionately. She held her arms out in front of her, as if dancing with an intimate partner that the others could not see. She spun, swayed, and fell into another bow. This bow signaled the pairs to begin their own intricate waltz. At the same time, the violin sped up ever so slightly and was joined by a flute blowing crystalline tunes into the passionately charged atmosphere. Mia continued to dance in time with the new music. Her body glided gracefully around the circle of dancers and with each spin she dazzled the crowd. Her arms moved in wide arcs, hands resting on her imaginary partner. She bowed and the music increased its tempo once more. A warmth spread throughout Mia’s entire person. She felt a rush of excitement with every step.

     Her eyes closed as she reveled in the music swirling around her. She preferred to dance alone. Her feet moved in patterns too intricate for any elf she had ever met to follow. Her hair flew in the air and bounced around her shoulders and perfectly rounded ears. The lights shone off of her dress and glowed in her eyes. Another bow sent the music into a frenzy. The dancers waltzed faster and faster, executing their moves with expert precision. Mia danced on and on, never running out of breath. Finally, she brought her arms up above her head and with an enchanting flourish she curtsied until most of her was hidden in the folds of her skirt.

     The music melted into a lullaby and Mia waited a beat before standing up once more. The energy was ebbing out of the music and out of her spirit. A fairy buzzed over the crowd and sprinkled her magic on their heads. Mia was leisurely towards the table filled with cakes when the toll of a bell broke through the party. Droxel stood by a large grandfather clock next to the rows of tea cups. The slender black hands lined with gold were pointed towards the heavens. Droxel’s attire had changed and become completely black with red threads woven through it. Mia caught his eye and he smiled at her. She smiled back, though she couldn’t be sure why.

    “In five minutes,” his voice rang out to the now silent guests, “The ceremony shall begin.”

     He slid one gloved finger around the rim of a cup and marched off towards the violinist. Mia followed him, her heart pounding in her chest. One question had been teasing her all night, “Who was this mysterious man?” In all the times she had come to this ball, she had never met him. It took all of the magic in the forest to create and hide the pavilion. Adding one person would require an unfathomable amount of power. It nearly cost Mia her life to be there. Only humans who believed in the creatures of the forest could enter. Many children played in the forest, but were so young that they would fall into traps or get lost or eaten. Mia was too old for society to let her believe in magic, and yet she did and she possessed the wits to survive when she came to the forest. Still, it wasn’t easy.

Droxel turned to meet the feisty dancer following him. She stood close to him, her eyes shining bright with curiosity.

    “May I help you my lady?” he asked.

    “You may start by telling me who you are.”

     “My name is Droxel.”

    “Yes I know that.” She smiled knowing that he had intentionally answered with his name. “I meant, what are you doing here?”

    “I am the pavilion master.”

    Mia’s heart skipped a beat, though she would not let Droxel catch her surprise. “I’ve never seen you before.”

    “I was away entertaining guests in the northern mountains with the giants.”

    “Entertain? But all I’ve seen you do is stand around.”

     Droxel’s smile didn’t falter. He snapped his fingers and suddenly, it was all gone. The pavilion, the people, the music were all gone. Mia stood, dumbfounded. They stood in the magical forest alone. Everything was so silent that Mia could hear a hummingbird’s wings fluttering over a rosebush nearby. Droxel snapped his fingers and the pavilion was back along with the festivities.

    “All of this my lady, is by my magic.”

    “Well, you throw wonderful balls,” Mia said, ashamed of her rudeness.

     Droxel laughed. “I’m glad you think so.”

     He pulled out a silver pocket watch with purple flowers painted on its cover. Mia looked over to the grandfather clock. It was almost time for tea. In all of the balls that she had ever been to, Mia had never been allowed to drink the tea. She was a human girl who believed in fairies and magic and was wise enough to navigate the forest, but she could not drink the tea. Mia sighed.

       “Why, what’s wrong Mia?”

       “I’m not a part of this ceremony…….how did you know my name?”

       “You didn’t know? You are a legend around here my lady. You are the only human who has ever made it this deep into the forest.”

       Droxel grabbed Mia’s hand and placed it on his chest over his heart. It beat in time with Mia’s even as hers sped up. His chest was warm and muscular underneath her hand.

       “You can see us Mia. You can feel us. You can’t possibly imagine how special that makes you. Haven’t you ever wondered why the fairies never pulled you hair or why the werewolves never tried to eat you? Because, in a world full of magic, you are magical.”

        Mia’s cheeks were nearly as red as her dress. Droxel flicked his wrist and presented a red rose. He placed it in Mia’s hair.

        “If it is possible, you are even more beautiful.”

        Mia blushed even more and felt like an idiot. She prided herself on her composure and ability to think things through logically. Standing here at a loss for word she did not know what to do.  Droxel smiled even wider. He thought she was cute. And her hand was still on his chest. He wondered if she even realized it.

        “You said that you have never seen me before, but I must confess that I have seen you.”

        Mia pulled her hand back. “You have?”

        Droxel glanced over at the grandfather clock. It was thirty seconds to tea time. He raised a hand to it and the pendulum stopped. Time stopped, but the party continued. He took Mia’s arm and led her over to the pond, stopping briefly to allow her to take off her shoes. They stood on the precipice of the crystal blue surface. Their reflection stood side by side and stared back. Mia blushed, thinking that they looked good together. Her eyes drifted over to the edges of the pool where bubbles were coming up. The water swirled as if down a drain. Mia watched as her reflection faded away and melted into a large oak tree.

            The water calmed and left the reflection of a grand tree standing between a forest and a field. The sky was blue and the grass was green. Mia squinted and leaned forward to get a better look. Droxel grabbed her hand to keep her from falling in. In the watery image a small sparkle darted out of the forest and then quickly back in. It was the magic forest! It showed the exact spot where Mia would enter. She lived just down the street from the tree. As a child she would play there with her friends. They never entered the forest because children would get lost, but Mia always dreamed of it. When all of her friends moved away she went in and found the ball.

            “This is how you watched me, isn’t it?” said Mia, her voice filled with awe.

            Droxel leaned in close, his hot breath on her neck. “Yes. I hope you don’t mind. I just find you….fascinating.”

            Mia turned and looked up into his face, blushing. “No, I don’t mind at all.”

            A hollow gong rang through the forest followed by twelve little chimes. Mia jumped, caught off guard and Droxel smiled as her cheeks burned a brighter shade of red. Droxel looked back towards the pavilion where the clock had finally struck midnight. He led Mia back to the marble floor and slid her shoes on for her. Then he took her hand again and brought her over to the table with the magical tea cups. He cleared his throat and the guests fell silent.

            “My friends, welcome to my Harvest Ball. As you know, tonight the bright sun of the magic forest her graced us with a special guest; this human girl. You all know Mia from previous balls. She is a magical friend among the most skilled elves. And tonight, I offer her my heart.”

            The guests al smiled and stared at Mia. She was at a loss for words. She had never expected this. Her mouth opened and closed, but no word came out. Droxel hushed her.

            “Whether or not she accepts it there is a more important matter a hand.”

            Two pale men with silver hair and dressed in all silver appeared and passed tea cups around to the guests. Droxel held two and Mia had none.

            “If you desire Mia, drink this tea and you can become one of us. This will turn you into an elf and you can stay and dance with us forever. If not, you are still welcome here.”

            A thousand thoughts hit Mia at once. She could stay with them, the elves. She could abandon her human life where she didn’t fit in and her fancies were childish. And Droxel was so warm and kind and mysterious. Her hand, trembling slightly, reached for the cup and stopped as her finger tips caressed the cold porcelain. She looked into Droxel’s eyes unsure. She thought there was no way he could love her only knowing her for a short time. But sure enough, she saw it there in his eyes because he hadn’t just met her. He had been watching her since she was a child and perhaps she had met him before somewhere in the magical forest where anything could happen. Mia smiled. The tea was warm and tasted like honey and cinnamon and oranges and vanilla. Droxel’s lips tasted like honey.

© 2012 Alexa Tasch


Author's Note

Alexa Tasch
I would like feed back please! I hope you liked it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

THE STORY ITSELF:

Your story is so fantastical and filled with beautiful description. It's like a wacky, over-the-top fairytale. It almost reminds me of a Disney movie. So much attention to detail, like the way the teacups look.

You have so many musical descriptions; it makes me want to hear the exact music you are trying to depict in words.

The punch tasted like gold and love? Haha that is such an awesome thing to write!

Droxel seems like an interesting fellow; mysterious yet ridiculous. I wish we had learned more about him before Mia decided to essentially marry him (!) but I guess it shows that she is a very faithful and trusting person.

I love the simple, understated ending where she tells us how everything tastes. Great way to quickly and charmingly end the story!


TYPOS:

"A throng men and women twirled around in the pavilion" should instead be "A throng OF men and women twirled around in the pavilion."

Instead of "The women wore corsets and large flowing hoop skirts the skimmed the floor" it should be "The women wore corsets and large flowing hoop skirts THAT skimmed the floor."

"Instead, the music can from the muses floating dreamily unseen above the dancers." I think this should be "Instead, the music CAME from the muses floating dreamily unseen above the dancers."

Instead of "warm thought it had been poured hours before at the start of the ball" it should be "warm THOUGH it had been poured hours before at the start of the ball"

Instead of "Then in the blink of an eye it was gone, flown off to some to another glittering place in the forest" it should be "Then in the blink of an eye it was gone, flown off to ANOTHER glittering place in the forest"

Instead of "It was as she had left is, save a tall gentleman" it should be "It was as she had left IT, save a tall gentleman"

Instead of "With long graceful strides, she walked back to the pavilion where she and left her shoes" it should be "With long graceful strides, she walked back to the pavilion where she HAD left her shoes."

Instead of "Just then, a red silk glove was place on her shoulder" it should be "Just then, a red silk glove was placeD on her shoulder"

Instead of "He smile was sweet but there was something in his eyes" it should be "HIS smile was sweet but there was something in his eyes"

Instead of "Before Mia could think and more about it he said" I think it should be "Before Mia could think ABOUT IT ANY MORE he said"

Instead of "This disturbed none of the guest though" it should be "This disturbed none of the guestS though"

Instead of "Mia was leisurely towards the table filled with cakes" I would suggest "Mia MOVED leisurely towards the table filled with cakes"

Instead of "Haven’t you ever wondered why the fairies never pulled you hair" it should be "Haven’t you ever wondered why the fairies never pulled YOUR hair"

Instead of "Standing here at a loss for word she did not know what to do" it should be "Standing here at a loss for WORDS she did not know what to do"

Instead of "tonight the bright sun of the magic forest her graced us with a special guest; this human girl" it should be "tonight the bright sun of the magic forest HAS graced us with a special guest; this human girl"

Instead of "The guests al smiled and stared at Mia" it should be "The guests ALL smiled and stared at Mia"

Instead of "Her mouth opened and closed, but no word came out" I would suggest "Her mouth opened and closed, but no WORDS came out"

Instead of “Whether or not she accepts it there is a more important matter a hand" it should be “Whether or not she accepts it there is a more important matter AT hand.”

Posted 11 Years Ago


Naomi Bloom

11 Years Ago

Wow lol this is the longest review I have ever done on this site. :)
I. LOVE. THIS!!!! This was a simply mesmerizing story that I thoroughly enjoyed the entire time reading. Droxel, is a pretty awesome name, by the way. :) All I all, fabulous job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

thanks! lol everyone loves the name. Amber made it.
L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Oh yeah! I remember her talking about it in class one day!
The name Droxel? AWESOME! I love fairy tales and I think this modern day one was a very playful, interesting write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

thanks! And my sister came up with the name!
I rarely read stories on here but this one sort of grabbed me..There is a bit of editing needed here and there..such as Throng men should be throng OF men..and a few more that I am sure you would pick up yourself if you took the time...I think in one or two places you use the word Mia too much where she or the girl would break things up more...I sort of smiled at the reference to his balls being thrown but if this is aimed at children it might be inappropriate...I am nor expert but I think you may have something here with a little more work..I do not know how many words it is but if you can get it to about 1500 it might be useable by someone..I have to write children's stories of no more than this length if I want them accepted as apps......Just a thought

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

thanks for the review! and I don't really want it usable by someone, i think i'll keep it for be. An.. read more
Dr. Wood ?

11 Years Ago

WELL YOU THROW WONDERFUL BALLS....MIA SAID...ASHAMED OF HER RUDENESS.....It's ok that you don't want.. read more
Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

oh yeah because they're at a ball. she was ashamed of being rude earlier and made up for it with tha.. read more
This was really good!!! :-) I loved it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
s y e

11 Years Ago

Welcome!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.G
i shall continue to read later, this sounds sooo awsome and magical tho!!!!*book mark*

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

lol thanks and I'm sorry its so long
K.G

11 Years Ago

that is long XD *note, i just realized this*
And you say you can't write romance! It was magical darling, a lovely fairy tale.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

Thanks! And I can't write romance! Personally I'm not a huge fan or the romantic ending
Grace Catherine C.

11 Years Ago

Then why'd you write it?
love it! i like the descriptions and stuff, makes me feel like i'm actually in ther! very cool ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Ahhh I'm a sucker for a good love story that actually ends happily without someone dying, being horribly disfigured, kidnapped, etc. Nice work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

lol thanks! And it would have been difficult for an evil ending with fairies. They're usually good
C.C. Marx

11 Years Ago

I could think of some ways lol
I love this. Don't worry, I don't think it's too long. I rarely enjoy short stories that have happy endings, but I think "Mia" is an exception. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for elves and fairies. I love your description of the setting. Very magical. Droxel is an interesting name. Did you come up with it by yourself? Keep up the good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I don't usually write short stories, but I wanted to do something that would take up a lot o.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on December 25, 2012
Tags: magic, forest, fairy, elf, elves, nymph, story, ball, party, dancing, evil, good, girl, love, fantasy, adventure, believe, fun

Author

Alexa Tasch
Alexa Tasch

Providence, RI



About
My name is Alexa. I'm 19. I usually write instead of paying attention in my classes so I will post anything I think it good enough. Don't read my older stuff unless you're really committed because.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..