Dinner Date

Dinner Date

A Story by ASandyRabbit
"

~

"

Swish. Swirl. Swish. He takes a drink from the glass. Just visible over the maroon liquid a smattering of fingerprints can be seen rising from the base. Whenever he sips his drink, he is acutely aware that the neck of the wine glass could snap at the slightest of twitches. His intense pondering of the wine glass concerned the woman across from him. Her story must be boring him!

“So how are your kids?”

He looked up. What was she last talking about?

“Uh… They’re fine. Just fine. Marie just started intermediate school.”

“It must be hard juggling fatherhood with work,” the lady replied.

Was she genuinely curious or trying to get his attention? He straightened his tie. She’s just a colleague.

“Well, you know… The babysitter helps out a lot and Marie has become a very responsible girl.” Without realizing it, the man began confessing all his concerns, “I hope she doesn’t feel pressured to do so well in school. Jordan has always been such a rascal that I worry she may be trying to make up for him. I really want her--and Jordan too--to grow up happily.”

The woman smiled and her eyes stung.

“H-hey, are you alright? Did I say something wrong??” the man asked.

She sniffed and wiped her eyes. “Sorry, I-it’s just that you care so much for your kids. I couldn’t help but feel so happy for them. My parents were always so distant from me…it warms my heart to know how much you love them. I-I’m sorry. I’ll be right back.”

As she stood up to help herself to the bathroom, a single tear shed itself from the man’s eye. He dared not wipe it away but was keenly aware of its warm, wet presence trickling down his cheek.

© 2016 ASandyRabbit


Author's Note

ASandyRabbit
Just a short story to practice dialogue ^_^ I don't consider myself very good at it right now. Feedback is appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on October 18, 2016
Last Updated on October 18, 2016
Tags: ASandyRabbit, Children, Date, Work, Adulthood

Author

ASandyRabbit
ASandyRabbit

About
I'm a young experimental writer still in that phase of everything I write is bad, but I want to improve. Please give me feedback. Tear me to shreds, in fact. I'll be able to improve from it :) I've.. more..

Writing