Enemy

Enemy

A Poem by @_av_poetry
"

The entire first stanza came to me in that place between being asleep and awake, and I got up and put the words down and continued the story from there the best way I knew how. This is the result.

"

My friends and I are in a room,

Whose walls are painted black,

We tried to lock ourselves inside

But one by one they disappeared,

And never came back.


In the middle of it all I stood

In the storm that would my spirit wrack,

But there was nothing I could do,

So one by one they disappeared,

And never came back.


Time came and went like the wind,

It was very hard to keep track

And every time I turned around,

Someone new had disappeared,

And never came back.


I could perceive no enemy,

Of this invisible attack, 

And helpless I stood,

As one by one they disappeared,

and never came back.


Losing them was unbearable,

I felt my defences crack,

But as I struggled not to break,

One by one they disappeared,

And never came back.


I am waiting patiently in this room,

Whose walls are painted black,

But now I am the only one

And just like them I’ll disappear

And never come back.

© 2019 @_av_poetry


Author's Note

@_av_poetry
Who is the Enemy is this poem?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Over the years we go through many acquaintances some of whom become good friends
Time and circumstance are the enemies here with all those friends gone in a different direction as you yourself may eventually do
I think?

Posted 5 Years Ago


@_av_poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dearly for taking the time to read and share your thoughts on this. I've gotten some amazi.. read more
This is a good write and I particularly liked the repetition in each stanza. Who is the enemy,? Why it has to be the author himself who has a very lively imagination. Maybe it isn't an enemy at all, maybe it's just his muse being creative. Mine works best at night, and in half sleep.

Chris



Posted 5 Years Ago


@_av_poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Interesting answer. I hadn't thought of that one. Thank you for reading.
You are a true poet in spirit. I feel the genuineness in your writing.
You have such an objective way of looking at things. You understand natural equilibrium, far from self-indulging.

I love how you employ refrain in your poem.

You are the type of writers I'd love to meet in the physical, to see the face behind the work, because I find you inspiring.

You are truly blessed with this gift of writing.
Please, keep it up.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Could be depression? Could be many things. I liked the use of blackness. Cold darkness can kill our thoughts and our will to escape. Very nice use of words. I did like.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


@_av_poetry

5 Years Ago

It could be many things. Depression is indeed a possible answer. Thanks for reading. :)
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! This is freaking awesome! You do have some iffy sections, which I will point out in a sec, but I just have to let it all out first: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Holy kwap!! Once tweaked to perfection, this would be your bar; the best work you have written so far! It's powerful, profound, and the repetition is freaking amazing!! Way - To - freaking - GO!!

....ok, time to settle down, now. Your tweaks:

- The first stanza needs to set the scene a bit better. First off, though "me and my friends" is ok, saying "my friends and I" would not only be grammatically correct (just fyi) AND have a bit better musicality, but it would also put the friends as the acting entities, and not "you", which gives the "they" further down more power and sense. Line 2 should be changed to echo Line 2 of the last stanza, for saying "room" twice in so close proximity like that sounds really bad. We already know "we're" in a room, so we don't need that aspect repeated so soon. Line 3 could be your choice whether to change or not, but firstly for musicality purposes, better to end with "inside", so we get that extra syllable to land on. Then, in order to give "they" in the next line more power and emphasis, instead of "we" put "they" and have the line go thus: "They tried to lock us all inside." I have to admit that saying "We tried to lock ourselves inside" is the more powerful line given it makes the "I" an accomplice in all this, so with that said, Line 4 would really need to figure out how to keep "they" associated with just the friends and not the "I", for it kind of sounds and seems very off to start with "We" and then continue with "they". BUT, a grammatical note is that if you start with past, you gotta continue with past, and since "tried" is in past, so must "disappear" (so "disappear" must instead be "disappeared").

- Stanza 2 Line 2 = awkward on two levels: "turn on them my back" is a bit of a stretch; but rhyming "back" with "back" is even worse. Also, again, the last little bit should be in past given the way you're wording it.

- Stanza 3 Line 2 is missing a syllable to flow with the musicality. Everything else great!

-Last Stanza Line 1, there's better musicality and power to say: "I'm patiently waiting in this room". But the stanza on the whole really puts it over the top, and those last two lines is a reason why Stanza 1 REALLY needs to be careful with the "we" and "they" distinction, for you don't want to give away this spectacular ending.

So Stanza 1 needs the most work, but it's all pretty simple stuff to work with. Nothing needs to be entirely rewritten, for it's all utterly amazing! Simply tweak this to perfection and like I said, this would be your best work to date! Well freaking done!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Stanza 2 could read something like this and to some extent fix the problem:

In the mi.. read more
@_av_poetry

5 Years Ago

Not bad at all. Thanks for taking the time to come up with something. :)
emipoemi

5 Years Ago

always happy to help

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 5, 2019
Last Updated on March 14, 2019

Author

@_av_poetry
@_av_poetry

United Kingdom



About
Writing is my life. It keeps me sane. My biggest hope is that my writing can make an impact in someone's life, even if it means it will just make someone smile or shed a tear. more..

Writing
The Pact The Pact

A Poem by @_av_poetry


The Gift The Gift

A Poem by @_av_poetry



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..