The beggar does beg

The beggar does beg

A Poem by Andrea A. Wentz
"

A poem about those who we may think to be lesser human beings than ourselves.

"

The thief does stare although she waits

The beggar does ask and anticipates

The hustler does please to negotiate once more

The addict craves what he does adore

Though you read these words so fine

You do not see the meaning in my rhyme

Thieves, beggars, hustlers, and addicts the lot of them!

We hear them cry, daring not to listen to the hymn

"That saved a wretch like me," "Oh how wretched they are!"

Beware you who judge for you will not get far

He knows you and will find you where ever you may be

Why not avoid the guilt, shame and remorse and be free

Free of the burden of negativity by sacrificing of yourself

Then when you do meet Him, you may toast to your new found "wealth"

© 2008 Andrea A. Wentz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this one! He is watching us, and is the only one able to judge!
Everybody likes the scriptures that they like that justify their positions, to cast stones at others, when the truth is every single one of us is short of the glory of God, it's only the grace of God that makes any of us be redeemed.
Only a suggestion, you might take out the second "does", in the line about the addict and make it plural past tense."The addict does crave what he ardors."
Or perhaps if you want to keep it in the first person possessive present tense, the first "does", The addict craves what he does ardor."

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I Like the poem, However I feel it has a dark almost saddening meaning to it. I feel that giving of oneself to others is a great thing, however often people do not know what these wretched ones need in order to sacrifice.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I liked the thought and the sentiment for it's so true. Everyone that we look down upon as being lower for some reason or another is a human being with emotions, feelings and a life to live like the rest of us no matter how well off or poor it might be and they deserve to be treated as a person. Christmas is all about giving but it seems a poor excuse to only do these things once a year in the name of Christmas, shouldn't it be that we do it through out the whole year? Shouldn't it be second nature to acknowledge and show respect for those less fortunate even when it is not the Yuletide season? Just some thoughts. Over all great poem.

Brette

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 31, 2008

Author

Andrea A. Wentz
Andrea A. Wentz

Phoenix, AZ



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bipolar Bipolar

A Poem by justjenn_2u


Lemonade Lemonade

A Poem by Sara