Nordic Noir

Nordic Noir

A Story by Craig2591
"

Ian tries to understand Chrissy's fascination with dark, Scandinavian crime stories.

"

Chrissy was relaxing on the sofa reading a novel when Ian walked up to her and tossed a book onto the cushion next to her. It was The Leopard by Jo Nesbø.




I finished that book you recommended,” he said with a sour look, “I don't think I want to read the next one in the series.”




Chrissy looked up at him. “Didn't you like it?” she asked.



A story about an alcoholic Norwegian detective who smokes opium to

curb his cravings for booze? Gee, what's not to like?” he answered

sarcastically, “And the ending was dreadful!”




Chrissy smiled faintly. “Yeah, those Norwegian authors don't like happy


endings.” She got up and walked over to the bookcase. “How about this


one by Arnaldur Indriðason?” She pointed to a book. “It's about a detective


in Iceland.”




Ian furrowed his brow. “Is he an alcoholic, too?”




No, but his son is. And his daughter's a drug addict.”




I'll pass,” he responded. “How about this one? Red Wolf by Liza


Markland.”




It's part of a series about Annika Bengtzon,” Chrissy answered, “a crime


reporter that works for a big newspaper in Stockholm.”




What's her problem?” he asked.




What do you mean?”




All of the people in these books you read have some kind of emotional


problems. What's hers?”




Well,” Chrissy grew thoughtful, “she's extremely claustrophobic, she


suffers from panic attacks... and...”




...and?”




She hears voices.”




Voices?!”




Yeah. They sing to her. She calls them 'The Angels'.”




Ian sighed. “What else have you got? How about this one?” He pulled out a


book titled Unwanted by Kristina Ohlsson.




It's about Fredrika Bergman, a Swedish detective. She's actually pretty


normal. No emotional problems that I can recall.”




What's the story about?”




It's about a serial killer who murders children.”




Oh, my God!!” Ian exclaimed as he shoved the book back into its place. “I


don't want to read that! Why do you like these dark Scandinavian stories? I


think they're depressing!”




Chrissy shrugged. “I don't know. But I'm not the only one. Nordic Noir is a


popular genre right now, especially since 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo'


came out. I still think you should read that.”




No thanks!” he replied, “I watched the movie with you, remember?


Thanks to you I can't listen to Enya anymore without thinking about the


torture scene in the killer's basement. And that one had an awful ending,


too.”




Well, you're probably not going to like any of my books, then. They're all


pretty dark.”




Maybe I'll go see if Emily has anything for me to read,” he sighed.




I doubt it. She's reading a series about teenage vampires right now.”




Ian rolled his eyes. “Oh, forget it! I'll just go to the library and look for


something a little cheerier,” he said as he grabbed his coat. As he opened


the front door to leave he muttered, “Teenage vampires. Whatever


happened to 'Harriet the Spy'?”




© 2022 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
With this story I am stepping back and taking an objective look at my fascination with Nordic Noir novels and how others (like my wife) view my love for them. I decided to make Chrissy have that same fascination for them.

Below is a book trailer for The Leopard by Jo Nesbo. A detective is sent to the opium dens of Hong Kong to bring Harry back to Oslo to solve another case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_CwjeBq5o

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, this is from 5 years ago, so I am late on the scene, but I have to join in.

Hahaha, Harriet the Spy!

From a technical point of view,, this is a great use of dialogue. You're very good at it.

As another reviewer said, Chrissy doesn't explain her enjoyment, which is what makes this funny. I will give my personal reason for enjoying dark types of fiction... all that darkness makes my life seem that much brighter. It also takes me somewhere i absolutely never have been and probably (hopefully!) never will go. And some part of me also enjoys the incongruity of a pacifist like myself enjoying such violence. I imagine Chrissy as a cheerful innocent, a well adjusted young lady, incapable of harming anyone--- and wallowing in such darkness.

BTW, is "Smilla's Sense of Snow" by Peter Hoeg a Nordic Noir book? One of my favorite mystery books, with a real humdinger of an ending.

Thank you for posting this,and for keeping it here for so long.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

4 Years Ago

"Smilla's Sense of Snow" is indeed considered Nordic Noir. I've read it.

Thank you .. read more



Reviews

Well, this is from 5 years ago, so I am late on the scene, but I have to join in.

Hahaha, Harriet the Spy!

From a technical point of view,, this is a great use of dialogue. You're very good at it.

As another reviewer said, Chrissy doesn't explain her enjoyment, which is what makes this funny. I will give my personal reason for enjoying dark types of fiction... all that darkness makes my life seem that much brighter. It also takes me somewhere i absolutely never have been and probably (hopefully!) never will go. And some part of me also enjoys the incongruity of a pacifist like myself enjoying such violence. I imagine Chrissy as a cheerful innocent, a well adjusted young lady, incapable of harming anyone--- and wallowing in such darkness.

BTW, is "Smilla's Sense of Snow" by Peter Hoeg a Nordic Noir book? One of my favorite mystery books, with a real humdinger of an ending.

Thank you for posting this,and for keeping it here for so long.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

4 Years Ago

"Smilla's Sense of Snow" is indeed considered Nordic Noir. I've read it.

Thank you .. read more
chrissy doesn't sell them because she doesn't say why she likes them. perhaps that's the reason why the narrator has no idea why she gravitates towards nordic noir. she doesn't express an opinion or try to defend her books. by rattling off other books without illustrating their appeal won't make other's understand her fascination. i like it because it's relatable on both sides.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review.
Well this was a fun little read! It reminds me of many conversations I've had about books.

Harriet the Spy- so classic! I remember the movie with Michelle Trachtenberg coming out when I was in elementary school and being really excited.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Thanks. I have a daughter who used to read and watch Harriet the Spy. That's what gave me the idea.. read more
Haha! This made me laugh so much :DDD It reminded me of my own attempts to convert friends to reading Nordic Noir. In addition their reactions when I tell them I write it as well are funny. I find more and more becoming interested now because of their exposure to TV series like 'Wallande'r and serials like 'The Bridge' etc. There are some commonalities but also big differences between the different writers. Leif G.W. Persson manages to be both 'noir' and savagely funny too. 'Little Star' by John Ajvide Lindqvist is one of the most brutal novels I've ever read but also is a comic masterpiece. Thanks for raising these issues.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Great! Always nice to meet another fan. I am a big Wallander fan, too, and The Killing.
By the æsir, I must read me some Nordic literature!!! I was attracted by the title here, and I really enjoyed the way the conversation played out. I love eastern and northern European literature, because to me, literature is meant to be dark. In the words of Franz Kafka, "If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it? Good God, we also would be happy if we had no books and such books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us." There is something glorious about Scandinavian writing, the feeling of being confined under a perpetual darkness and relentless snow. The fury and majestic beauty of an inhospitable world which seeks to crush the reader. It is unsurpassed... the only other places which I feel have comparable atmospheres are the American North-West, with its endless rain and sprawling forests. It doesn't have that same hostile intent to it, but the loneliness is every bit as palpable. Oh, and perhaps space, If anyone ever writes a story while in the confines of a cramped vessel traveling the vastness of space, I wish to read it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

It sounds like Nordic Noir is right up your ally. If you haven't already tried it, then I recommend.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Lovely to see another chapter of Ian and Chrissy's life! I like this introspective look at your own enjoyment of this genre and at others' opinions of it, too.

And, I remember reading Harriet the Spy, lol.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
I haven't read any Nordic Noir, and it doesn't sound appealing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

It's certainly not for everyone. My wife can't figure out why I like it.
A very good chapter, entertaining. We all have our likes and dislikes in what we read. Sometimes others just don't understand. At least there is something for everyone who want to read a book.

Nice to read something staring Ian and Chrissy again!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks. Yes, I haven't written in a while. Just haven't felt like it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

622 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2014
Last Updated on February 8, 2022
Tags: Nordic Noir

Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591