Alex Marshal's Chronicles Part 2

Alex Marshal's Chronicles Part 2

A Story by Abdallah Yashir
"

The series continues for the young Alex Marshal who is on a mission to understand what might be truly happening in the hidden shadows of his University Campus. Meanwhile he discovers other secrets.

"
It was nearly 11 in the morning. Most students were attending lecture classes at this time. The fresh breeze flowing around provided a soothing sensation to the ever growing warmth during summer. Alex walked alone on the path leading to the main cafeteria at a slow pace. This morning he wore his splendid looking dark blue sports blazer that he recently bought at the Heavy Lifting Shop found in the Super Space Mall. Sales were going on after the busy winter periods and as he knew the salespeople there, he got a discount. He also wore a white vest inside and a blue set of jeans including his new business casual black minimalistic shoes that he recently bought online.

"Inspector Malek", thought Alex, "told me that they questioned every single person present in the party yesterday before letting them go. However, a few of them were indeed detained because of their inability to explain certain conditions. Many of them I presumed were innocent and had nothing to do with the stuff they found in there. Nonetheless, the most interesting part was that the two organisers, according to the people present, were no longer present when the police officers interrupted their party. Plus they usually wore masks during their meetings or gatherings they attended. Therefore most of them did not know them. My biggest concern is how they manage to escape just in time, without anyone else noticing, particularly the police. I certainly know that the room where the event was held only has doors at the main entrance."

 "Hey Alex", shouted a familiar voice a few yards away. Josh walked quickly towards his friend as excited as anyone could be. Even though he was not particularly athletic or slim for his age, he was fit and always looked sharp. He usually wore simple clothing style but today was dressed formally in sleeve shirts and slim trousers for a round of presentation in his Report Writing class. As he approached his friend who stopped by now, he breathed heavily.
"Mate you should exercise more often", said Alex teasing his friend, "I told you to join the local gym instead of finishing the list of snacks that is supposed to last for weeks in one day."
"Haha, you are funny buddy", said Josh with his big huge smile and warm handshake. "There is currently two weeks break at my local dojo. That is why I might look out of shape."
They continued walking.

"I was just joking, you look fine, so what's up? How was your presentation today?"
"Well not bad but like you know I am sometimes stressed when I am the center of attention in front of a big audience. By the way, our good friends are waiting for us in the cafeteria, you remember?"
"Yeah I remember, it's awesome to have such interesting friends to be honest. Anyways how is your girlfriend doing?", casually asked Alex.
"Oh something has happened you won't believe me, I don't know how to say that to you", said Josh looking nervous but excited as well trying to find the appropriate words to say.

"Hey guys, we are here", someone shouted loudly, interrupting the two friends' conversation.
"I will tell you the rest later on today, right?", said Josh before they joined with their friends.
"Hello guys, how are you doing?", asked Alex sounding happy and offering his handshake.

This group of friends consisting of Jamie Colby, Irfaan Moushine, Shaneka Sorrels, Cathie Maris and Julie Anders. Jamie, Irfaan, Shaneka and Josh attended the same course of Bachelor in English while Cathie and her best friend Julie, followed a degree in Marketing Management with IT Minors. Only Alex did a course in Investigative Journalism, contrary to expectations as he was considered the brightest and most intelligent among their peers during his college years at the Hapford Modern College. The two most talkative people were Irfaan and Shaneka who loved arguing with each other as they sought to be the center of attention. Jamie, a fan of body building and football was more reserved and preferred listening but often shared funny anecdotes with his friends. As for Cathie, she was the nerd of the group but an eloquent speaker as well as a likeable figure. She was mostly always with Julie, the most attractive girl in the group with a slender figure and a perfectly symmetrical face, fair and dark eyes.
In one row sat Julie, Cathie and Shaneka. Besides, on the right was Josh and on the left side Jamie sitting down slouched using his smartphone. Alex sat besides Irfaan who was busy sharing his opinions on the presentations they had this morning. On the next table, in front of them, sat a handsome muscular looking guy with three attractive looking girls. The remaining tables outside of the cafeteria were occupied by a few students.
"I tell you this morning", said Irfaan enthusiastically, "as I was about to get into my parking slot, my reserved parking slot, a brand new glittering luxury red car slided just in front of me and took my place. I was stunned. The car was outstanding and only la haute bourgeousie can afford that. I waited for a few seconds just to know who was behind the steering wheels. I imagined the Chancellor, the president, or even a Minister."
Irfaan described to his friends whom he thought the individual in the car could be. According to him, the windows were as black as dark shadows lingering at midnight in the middle of an empty road. At first he emphasised the fact that due to the black artistic design of the wheels, he thought that the car could not belong to any ordinary person. The latter had to be someone who really loved cars. As his friends were listening attentively to him, he tried to convince them of his initial impression he got before being interrupted by Alex.
"The car might belong to a rich person's son or daughter. I might even be tempted to suggest that it belongs to a girl."
"Wow, why, how can you?", asked his friends who were eager to know his reasoning. They had nearly forgotten that they should go inside of the building to order their food.
"I will let my good friend complete the mystery", shrugged off Alex with a smile, looking at his friends who were a bit disappointed.
"Indeed, Alex is right. He is absolutely right", nearly shouted Irfaan. "It was that rich spoilt girl from a random course in the Management Department. Well I don't really know the class she follows but I do know she doesn't need to study because she is too rich for that."
"Her name is Liza I think", said Shaneka, "I don't remember the course she follows. Anyways my dear Irfaan, why are you complaining yourself? You also belong to a rich family, and comes to University in a brand new car."
"Well you are right, except that your father has two cars sleeping at home and you can do the same you too", added Irfaan. They both started arguing about their interests resolving around their habits before interrupted by the cool and calm Jamie who usually had fun listening to the friendly arguments. Otherwise the conversation might be boring.
"When did you hear that Jamie", asked Jake with an expression of concern, " I did not hear anything on that particular matter."
"Yep likewise", said Cathie,"I did not the hear the girls mentioning anything about that."
"Actually from what I heard from a friend who lost his purse", said Jamie, "that other people have lost their stuff in the same way."
"In what way?", asked Shaneka promptly.
"I don't know the full details but from what I heard, they simply lose their stuff. All the victims or absent minded people are actually related."
"They might be classmates", said Alex, "or friends or in the same circle - or they might simply know each other."
"Exactly. That is the thing. Anyways I know the Campus is so huge but still it's best to care for our stuff."

Students started pouring in as the sun scorthed heavily at the top of the sky.
"Folks, I believe it's time to order something for meal. I will let you decide", said Alex to the group.
"Oh yes, now I know why I felt so awkward. It was not because of Shaneka but of my stomach", laughed Irfaan looking at his friend who tapped him on the shoulder.
"Well who cares", she said, "I am going to have a blast today."
"Sha aren't you on a diet?", asked Julie.
"Oh yeah, I am but right now I am feeling so hungry."
"Of course you will, having participated so much in gossiping", teased Irfaan who got up to go inside of the cafeteria.
His friend immediately followed and the rest got up as well. Jake already had a few bites of a sandwich he brought from home in his bag.

Alex took all his time to stand up before Julie, proposed to pay for his meal which he politely refused. But as he had helped her with her reports lately, she persisted.
Cathie, also looking hungry was fed up having to wait for their decision and had a huge sign of relief when her friend finally walked towards the building.
Jake gently removed a small bottle of tomato sauce which he smoothly applied on his delicious meal. Alex observed him meticously before then joking about him taking on weight with that sauce. The guy did not have time to listen to his friend's funny catchphrase as he proceeded to take a full bite on his sandwich.

In the front table before Alex, sat a good looking guy in his white vest and dark blue jeans, accompanied by three lovely girls. Two of them quite resembled particularly in fashion, wearing a lot of rings, necklaces and clothing items. The other girl were clothed in a more casual reserved but equally attractive way. The guy sat facing the latter directly while the other two were in adjacent positions. Alex paid special attention to the way they interacted with each other. He saw the guy talking most of the time with plenty of energy and charisma. The two fashion oriented girls found everything he said funny while the other girl, gazed intently in his eye. Alex had a strange feeling about the situation; about the guy more precisely.
"I think I have seen him before", thought Alex, "I am not remembering clearly. There is something about him I cannot quite comprehend. I have to get to know him better. Right now I cannot go and talk to him as that might embarrass him. His biceps are more well defined than Jamie ; yet he has been training for the last 5 years if I can correctly recall."
After some discussions among themselves, the girl in the classical attire stood up and walked inside of the building.

"This is a unique opportunity for me to befriend that girl and get more information on this guy."

---

The cafeteria was not yet filled with people but more students entered the building.
Alex paved the way inside behind the girl he was interested in talking to. He made sure not to stay neither too close nor too far.
The girl might suspect something and if he strayed away, he might have lost sight of the person. He had an opportunity at that time given the lack of crowds present at the time.

"Hey Edward, what's up buddy?", asked Alex who noticed an old friend of him.
Edward Spinger was a nice person, always ready to help people but he was too shy for his age. He struggled making eye contact with most people he was not accustomed to.
And most of the time, he fixed the soil down while walking - that was the reason Alex first saw him.
Edward usually wore a cap, a heavy looking bag and large clothes. He also had the habit of carrying a bottle of water. He was fat for his height but friendly and always willing to make new friends despite his acute shyness. He was most of the times alone or with a close friend of him, who was as shy and reserved as himself.

"Hi Alex, I did not see you, hi, how are you?", asked Edward with a brand smile and grabbing his friend's arm enthusiastically, albeit a bit nervously.
"I am doing great, good to see you buddy, been a long while we have not met, what are you up to?"
"Same here, I have a class to attend and I think I am a bit late", somewhat stammered Edward.

Alex who did not want to lose his opportunity to knowing more about the mysterious guy let his old friend head to class. He then proceeded towards the line where the girl was standing and as he was about to initiate a conversation, one of the girl's friends, passing by started talking to her.
"Oh, too late", thought Alex who continued observing the situation. He noticed his friends on the line on the other side of the cafeteria.
When the two girls completed their conversation, the one Alex was interested talking to ordered food before then returning back to her place outside.
"Now have to improvise something out of the hat, let me first talk to her."

"Hello there, my name is Alex", he said with a gentleman's smile and offering a handshake which the girl seemed to gladly accept.
Quickly glancing outside, he noticed her group of friends about to leave and proceed somewhere else. Therefore for him, it was a now or never situation. There was no time for beating around the bush. The campus was so big that it would take ages for him to get to know the guy unless he somehow was able to get into the Student Online System.

"Hi Alex, mine is Tana, pleasure to meet you", said the girl who looked impressed and a bit nervous.
"I saw you a few minutes earlier today and with this oriential, a bit of asian look, you look marvelous. I had to say that to you."
"Oh thank you very much, you made my day", said Tana blushing.
"But it seems you already have a handsome boyfriend, so I will not", said Alex leaving her in suspense.
"Well no, actually the guy sitting there is a good friend, we are in the same class."

"The way", thought Alex, "she was looking at him all the time I observed them does indicate that she has a crush on the guy, just like the other girls. I don't think she has noticed me as I wore my sunglasses and had my blazer which I just removed and held in my lef arm. Right now she seems flattered and even interested with me just because I approached, introduced myself and complimented her. The Law of Reciprocity I believe."
"Did you say something?", asked Tana, trying to understand Alex sudden focal shift.
"Oh no", he smiled, "I was just thinking how you know him and he does seem to be someone quite prolific, not only judging by his looks."
"Yeah I think, he talked to me the first day and we became good friends since then. Yeah indeed, his name is Ritchie Genk, the Martial Arts Champion in the Campus in his first year itself and currently holds the highest percentage in our entire department, the Law & Management one."
"Wow that incredible, he is definitely super talented. Any way, it looks your friends are waiting for you, we will meet later on."

Tana joined her friends and waved to her new friend before heading away from the cafeteria. Alex took her contact details in case he wanted more information and smiled back at her.
"I now remember the situation with the Ritchie guy", thought Alex, "I heard about a first year student easily winning the Campus Free Style Martial Arts Competition with ease, which is a remarkable achievement given the number of types of Martial Arts present here. And Jake talked about him the last time about his football team defeating the odds during the Seven A Side Tournament."

---

The group of friends sat down again at the table having their delicious meal. Alex joined them.
Julie kept her gaze constantly on him and initially made no effort to give him his food. The latter was not interested, though. He kept thinking about the relationship present encompassing the Ritchie guy and his amazing strengths.
"Julie", said Cathie, "I remember you bought some green salads with chicken for Alex."
"Oh yeah, there you go". Julie passed the meal to Irfaan who then gave it to Alex.
"Oh thank you", said Alex grateful. "I like fresh and healthy foods, guys."

Alex quickly thought about Julie's reaction. He knew she had a crush on him being good friends and close neighbours for a long time. She might have seen him talking to the attractive oriental looking girl earlier when they were in the cafeteria. She was jealous, thereby having that reaction. She might also have heard him talking as Alex wanted to get important information out of the girl as efficiently as possible. Therefore, she might have assumed that he might be interested in him.
"Girls", thought Alex as he appreciated a mouthful of warm french fries, "they can sense almost everything."

"Listen guys", said Irfaan cheerfully. "As you know we are currently in the Student Week; therefore no class and total sports and art activities. Our team is playing, later on, today, will you join us folks?"
Everyone except Alex nodded and agreed to join them even though Julie and Cathie would first attend a public speaking seminar before coming. Alex had more important things to do. He thought about that guy with special talents but also wondering in his mind was the thoughts of the Secret Art Group and particularly the two organisers. He had no news of Veronica and the others held by the police.
"Why not Alex?" asked Irfaan," you are going to love it, our team Prose and Football United is the favourite and current champions.
"We even won the 7 a side competition last month by a margin beating the likes of Underground Corridors Club and the ex-champion, Titans Athletic."
"Guys and their ridiculous tea, names", said Shaneka laughing at them.
"How do you call it", asked Cathie hesitantly trying to complete her sentence.

"What it?" asked Josh curiously.
"Oh I mean you call this game another name right?"
"Soccer you mean", said Jamie with a smile before having a mouthful of his succulent looking pasta.
"Oh yeah, I am a big fan to be honest. But on TV you have those attractive hero looking athletic handsome guys".
"Too many adjectives to be honest", added Irfaan, trying to make the conversation more interesting.
"Who are playing in the match guys?" asked Shaneka.

Irfaan made a sign to Jamie before removing his smartphone. He then showed his lineups and emphasised the best players.
A name in particular suddenly caught Alex's attention. Ritchie Genk, the captain of the opposing team. He immediately asked more information on this player.

"Well from what I remembered", said Irfaan, "he was the best player in the previous tournament but he did not play all the matches. I think he only participated in the last few ones. I played against him myself and he is really good."
"He is more of a team player," added Jamie, " an excellent player, very vocal and knows how to structure his team. Even the captain at that time, listened to him."
"Well in our team we have ..."
"Interesting I am going to join you guys", kindly interrupted his highly extroverted and outgoing friend. "At what time is the match?"
"Awesome I am so happy, the guys in our class love you."
"And the girls?", asked Alex with a smirk looking in Julie's direction who looked away and talked to her friend.

---

The match started brightly with every player giving their absolute best. Josh's team wore a blue outfit while the other team had a red theme.
The group of friends sat in the first row in front of the field, cheering loudly for their team. Josh usually played for his class but he was recuperating having recently participated in the Martial Arts tournament last month.
Alex joined his friends. He paid special attention to Ritchie who was the captain and ran everywhere on the pitch. According to Irfaan, their team were the favourite, having the best players in the whole campus. Moreover as they played a lot together, they understood each other well. He actually pointed out that a few players played together in their regional team, professionally.
"There are five players who", said Josh excitedly, " are nearly unplayable because they are so good. You get Christophe, Amaiki, Julian, Hamid and Kisna. I think they play together in a semi professional team. I like playing with them, they are so awesome and funny. Everytime I make a mistake, they cover me."
"Oh I see, yeah I know them", said Alex carefully analyzing the match.
"Right now we are playing with a four four three formation in order to dominate the opponent completely and suffocate them whenever they have the ball. We have a highly athletic team, we can run all match long."
"One half is 30 minutes right?"
"Yeah exactly, but even in a full length match of 90 minutes, we are fit", said Josh removing a bar of cholocate from his bag.
"You don't look that fit to me", said his friend amusingly, "I am always impressed with your bottomless bag that contain an infinite amount of food. That is why I rarely see you buying anything in the cafeteria. Let me take a peek will you?"
"No actually, it's a relatively big bag", said Josh trying to justify himself.

So far Josh's team completely dominated the game, sending the crowds into an unstoppable frenzy when they scored the opening goal out of a spectacular screamer from the team's captain, Amaiki, playing as central midfielder. For a moment, it seemed as if everyone was against the other team, namely The Outsiders. The latter played a compact defensive game letting their opponents have all of the ball and then countered when they had it. However, the leading team made sure to block any type of counter attacking maneoveur.
Josh's team continued pilling on pressure on the other team without relent. Not only their opponents did not have the ball, they were also stuck stationed in their own defensive square. Not a glimmer of hope was felt for The Outsiders. After a few minutes, even their own players, disappointed, stop fighting for every ball. In their mind, they conceived they had already lost the match. The players in Prose and Football United passed the ball around, pinging their opponents deep inside their own half. The left back then attempted a swinging cross to try to put additional pressure on the opposing defenders who managed to head back towards their captain.
Ritchie controlled the ball perfectly on this chest and confidently brought it to the ground while using his body builder's big size to repel immediate pressing, amidst a swarm of players. He then moved the ball comfortably towards facing the opposition goalkeeper and pass it to his nearest teammate who appeared confused on the right of the field but managed to pass him back. He then passed it to the striker a few yards in front, who came back to defend before rushing forward at full speed. The latter passed him back and now the captain was against the three defenders who were highly technical and defensively sound but lacking in speed.
Ritchie just kicked the ball around the central defender and lightning fast, he ran past him. The crowd went silent. He ran so fast that he left all the other players behind with the goalkeeper having to rush outside trying to stop him. In vain. He just breezed past him as if he was not there. A small group of people shouted in ecstacy and celebrated by standing and nearly dancing as the captain of The Outsiders struck into an empty goal post.

"Aha", said Alex, finally deciphering the mysterious unexplainable doubt he had when he first saw the guy at the cafeteria.
"By the way where is Jane?"
"Oh she is working on some art projects during the Student Week."
"Alright, Josh listen, remember I told you a teenager who appeared in the news winning the regional marathon."
"Huh", said Josh still dumbfounded after witnessing a law defying moment. He then zapped into the present moment. In their group, everyone laid silent apart from Julie and Cathie who were busy discussing their internal affairs.
"Yeah I remember, that was a few months before, I think last year or something."
"Indeed, he actually defeated the 12 times national champion, Bruce Aston Heiner who participated and several other long timers such the 70 year old Paul Berlino, who have been participating almost every year for 40 years according to the local press."
"Wow how do you remember all of that?"
"He was shown with his medal in the front page. What I find extremely interesting is his build. He has a relatively big body and is able to literally run endlessly without any stop for 48 kilometers."
"Yeah, that is awe inspiring no doubt."
"Moreover, even better, he has a crazy acceleration and incredible top speed with his size."
"You mean, he hmm."
"Exactly, the winner of the Marathon was Ritchie, that is why I felt I knew him. In the press snippet, Bruce even mentioned that he was like a machine and could not match him. Just imagine, one of the best runners in the country for some time now is saying that."
"He is also the Martial Art Champion here in the campus easily defeating the likes of Gaynd Taylor, you know the huge super strong giant with strong arms and Jeremy Aulardy, the regional Brazilian Jitjutsu champion."
"You should describe this to me one day."

Josh was so impressed that he started talking about the event itself right on the spot, gradually losing sight of the match which was still being dominated by his team. But with the outstanding goal scored by their captain, the players of The Outsiders were motivated back in the game. They gave everything they could and defended as if their lives were at stake. Apart from a tiny group in the estimated 2000 attendees, everyone was mostly silent. Prose and Football United were such a good team not only because of their individual stars but also because the course contained more than 3000 students, albeit divided in several smaller groups.

For a moment, the crowd grew silent as The Outsiders lead another prompt counter attack down on the wings after yet another wonderful sprint from their most inspiring captain who seemed busting around with full energy. The right winger crossed the ball but the defender easily controlled it. But as the ball dropped down, out of nowhere, with sheer speed and agility, Ritchie promptly appeared and kicked the ball a few inches besides the goalkeeper who stood still. The small crowd near Alex jumped out of exhubulation showing their loyal appreciation for their team. One guy in particular, had his screams echoing all over the place. Alex told his friend he was going to get more information from the small group of people there in a moment, especially the over joyous one.

"Okay, by the way", said Josh, "let me explain you what has happened to me earlier bro."
Alex kept an eye on the group while turning to listen to his friend.
"I got a message from someone in my class."
"Hmm now that is not an ordinary message is it?"
"No, you are right. It is.."
"Give me a minute with you will you mate?"

Alex saw some student of the group of friends cheering for the Outsiders moving towards the field as the match became more interesting. The one guy who appeared more happier than the rest sat back after having stood and jumped since the start.

"Hi", said Alex with a warm smile, "your team is really rocking my good friend."
"Hi, yeah it's incredible, I cannot believe it."
"Well who would believe it, you guys are playing so well and challenging head on one of the favourites of the whole tournament. That is more than impressive."
"Haha you are right", laughed the guy.
"My name is Alex", he said while offering his hand.
"Mine is Robert, pleasure to meet you."

The Outsiders by now clearly controlled the match by blocking the players and eventual passing lanes. Their opponents could barely launch any attack with such an organised defense. Most of the fans of Prose and Football United were silent. Some of them were not fans of football but came to accompany their friends.

"The captain, Ritchie seems to be an excellent player with endless energy. I've rarely seen anyone playing at that level in my life."
"Yeah he is an awesome player and a great individual. He is my childhood friend."
"Oh that's amazing, was he always like that, full of energy and leadership?"
"No, not really. He was always motivated and moving around but lately he has been exceptional, unmatchable especially during the martial arts tournament."

"Did you find him doing something new lately?" asked Alex casually while watching the match in order not to arouse any suspicion.
"Hmm, no, not anything in my mind right now."
"Don't worry, the match is becoming even more tactical."
"Oh, I think there is something", he paused trying to remember something. "Yes he usually drink some fruit smoothies in the morning, lately he has been consuming it more often I guess."
"That is interesting."
"Indeed, I find it somewhat novel as he rarely carried them with him but nowadays he does carry one in his bag, there you see."
"Wow, you are exceptionally observant and intelligent to have notice so much details."
"Ha, thank you, well we are pretty close friends."

Alex asked him if he could have a watch before moving away. By now, the underdog were winning by 3 goals to one and their opponents seemed completely exhausted. Their captain continued inspiring his players and bark aloud several instructions. Alex quickly analysed the bottle and had a smell of it. The aroma was piercing and strong. He returned the bottle, thanked his new friend and hurried back to his place.

"Mate, we have been eliminated", said Josh in his friend's direction.
The match was almost over. Cathie and Julie kept talking the whole time while the rest of their friends looked disappointed and preferred keeping their silence. Jamie and Irfaan did share some complaints between them not knowing who to really blame.
"What are you putting into your pocket?"
"Oh nothing to worry about. Yeah but you still have a chance with the best loser system."

"I have to visit my old good Chinese friend this evening", thought Alex, "he might know something about that."

---

© 2016 Abdallah Yashir


Author's Note

Abdallah Yashir
How can I improve? Thanks :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on March 27, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: Investigation, Mystery, Secret, Thriller

Author

Abdallah Yashir
Abdallah Yashir

Mauritius



About
My name is Abdallah Yashir and I am a big of fan of reading and writing. I like thrillers and mysterious stories as well as personal development materials. I believe one day I will influence people, i.. more..

Writing