Smile a while my friend

Smile a while my friend

A Poem by Abdul Aziz
"

This is a spontaneous poem I once wrote for a friend when she was feeling down and out. This poem is not entirely good, but I like it because it helped me cheer her up!

"
Trust a little my friend,
For what is life but trust?
You know that in the end
We will return to dust.

Think of joy my friend;
Of things that have gone right.
Let me your grief attend
To, and serve you new delights.

Fantasies my friend
Are but for children's whims.
Why should you then pretend
When you can fly without wings?

They hate you not, my friend
And I am by your side.
Grief do not append
For truth has never died.

Happiness and sorrow
Change like night and day.
I hope that each tomorrow
Puts your doubts away.

Smile a while my friend,
I want to see your lips curl.
I know that in the end
That's how your life unfurls.

© 2010 Abdul Aziz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A beautiful poem that has a tender and understanding voice, comforting and reassuring with an honest sense of wisdom. It does not come across as many poems often do in a patronizing, preaching tone, but manages to be sagacious and somehow forgiving in the way the tone is expressed. I feel a real sense of poignancy in the ethos that is projected through the words, as though the advice is truly heart-felt; as though the speaker is justifiably experienced and perhaps with a sense of resigned acceptance which makes the message seem the more real and believable. The use of the address "my friend" is I think what technically lends credence to what is being said most of all: the reader does not then necessarily think that these words are being spoken directly to him. This enables a kind of impartiality as though the reader is listening-in on a conversation and admiring the sentiment. This sense of 'distance' from the scene is what makes the message more effective and acceptable without feeling somehow coerced (which is what I find often happens).
A mature and very lovely piece of writing which has a kind of angelic feel to it, almost as though the wisdom being imparted comes from the truly enlightened: like some kind of plausible religion.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I've made similar poems for a few people I deeply care about, i find that random poetry is best suited for these type of occasions.
Thanks for sharing =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very beautiful poem, I loved the voice in it. It was kind, comforting and encouraging. I felt as if my grand father was talking to me. :)
Very well written.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


a very true poem, and well written I might add, well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i agree with flawed that it seemed like a forced break .. but since this is a spontaneous write so a minor glitch is neglected ... i have written some poems for my friends too and so can easily say that you really treasure their friendship . seems you are an emotional entity which is quite good . but a word of caution - beware cause i have been in similar a boat as you are .. when your time comes maybe your friends won't stick around as much as you would expect them too !



Posted 13 Years Ago


A beautiful poem that has a tender and understanding voice, comforting and reassuring with an honest sense of wisdom. It does not come across as many poems often do in a patronizing, preaching tone, but manages to be sagacious and somehow forgiving in the way the tone is expressed. I feel a real sense of poignancy in the ethos that is projected through the words, as though the advice is truly heart-felt; as though the speaker is justifiably experienced and perhaps with a sense of resigned acceptance which makes the message seem the more real and believable. The use of the address "my friend" is I think what technically lends credence to what is being said most of all: the reader does not then necessarily think that these words are being spoken directly to him. This enables a kind of impartiality as though the reader is listening-in on a conversation and admiring the sentiment. This sense of 'distance' from the scene is what makes the message more effective and acceptable without feeling somehow coerced (which is what I find often happens).
A mature and very lovely piece of writing which has a kind of angelic feel to it, almost as though the wisdom being imparted comes from the truly enlightened: like some kind of plausible religion.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I am just a guy with an opinion, but I wont feel bad about bringing up one critique, since you recognize that the poem is not entirely good - hehe :)

The rhyming is once again strong and I just cant get enough of quatrains, so keep it up!

The one negative I want to bring u is in the 2nd stanza,
"Let me your grief attend
To, and serve you new delights" - it feels uneasy that you've broken up the 3rd line in order to create the rhyme and uphold the 6 syllables per line. "I feel" like it breaks the flow up if I have to continue the thought on the next line. You structure is great and you adhere to it almost flawlessly apart from this instance. Every other line has a single thought expressed in it without any breaks.

Hope it makes sense :)


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is remarkable and sensational. Anyone would feel enlightened by this poem. I would have smiled if it was me, it shows how kind-hearted you are. Out of a lot of people out there you are the one to trust and to express hidden feelings to.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very uplifting and so very optimistic...it is always such lovely a feeling to know that you have such a friend around..your friends are lucky to have you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderfully uplifting! It's sweet of you to write this to cheer up a friend. It's a pleasing read, too. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sometimes the mere presence of a friend can soothe the most disconsolate. Your care was writ in your words and so was her salvation. Even if we know the truth, sometimes, we need to hear someone else say it in order for us to believe it.

Linda Marie Van Tassell

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
10 Reviews
Added on July 4, 2010
Last Updated on July 4, 2010

Author

Abdul Aziz
Abdul Aziz

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India



About
Hello there. I'm a medical doctor by profession, in search of a better career. Right now, my only pastime seems to be navigating around the vicissitudes of life. I'm passionate about computers and p.. more..

Writing