Moving Day

Moving Day

A Story by abparker
"

This Story is dedicated to Jason from Ace Movers

"

Oh, the dreaded moving day. It is exciting and frustrating all in one big ball of fury. I don’t think I know anyone who likes to pack, even worse unpack, and then the course action of moving all those darn boxes. Going inside trying to carry as many boxes as possible, awkwardly hauling it out to the car, then rinse and repeat until you are blue in the face. But wait, you still have to get the boxes out of your car and inside the new place, more rinse and repeat. There is nothing more exciting in life…

 

You accomplish all of this work, clearing all the small items, which never cease to end; to try and make it easier once the movers get there, that is, if they ever come. Why anyone would ever want to be a mover is more of a mystery then the lunch meet they served in grade school.

 

Today happened to be our dreaded moving day, I was pretty excited to move into our new house, actually our very first home. Being so keyed up, I got up really early to take a load or two to the new house before the movers were to arrive. By the time I had finished my unloading it was an hour past the movers scheduled appointment. I started making phone calls to the movers. It only took 20 minutes to get the owner to finally call me back.

“Hey, this is Jason from Ace Movers.” He said.

 

I respond, “Hey, what’s going on, where are my movers?”

 

“Well, they were hung up with another job they should just be another 20 or 30 minutes.” Jason replies

 

I am thinking, great, the movers are an hour late. I had a feeling they were going to be late. Are movers ever on time? I think it would ruin their reputation if they were. Oh well, they will be here soon enough and we will be in our new house in no time. I do a bunch of waiting, and then I do a little more waiting. As two hours fly by with no movers, I start getting worried. Were they coming? Did they blow us off? I call the owner again, he, of course doesn’t answer. When he finally calls me back, 30 minutes later, he gives me some excuse about where they are. I am a nice person, so I give him the benefit of a doubt. I allow them just a couple more hours but when the clock starts rolling eerily close to 5:30 I make arrangements with other movers for first thing the next morning. Giving up on all hope I was going to be moved in, I packed what I could to make my first night in my new house comfortable, of course that was going to be difficult with out any furniture. I curse Ace Movers in my head, vowing to do everything possible to put them out of business.

 

As I am pulling away from the apartment, what do I see pulling up to the gate, a rickety old truck, with a huge hole in the top. They had finally arrived, seven hours late! Can you believe I waited that long for a stupid moving company? It was 6:30 PM and our scheduled appointment was 11:00 AM, we did not get moved into our new home until 9:30 that night. Not to mention how poorly they handled my belongings. But, I was too tired to really care by that point.

 

After the stress of waiting for the stupid movers and finally getting settled into our new house, we were determined to have a good first night in our house. We make ourselves a couple of rather large glasses of Bacardi and Coke Zero and proceed to sit in the hot tub.

 

We get in and a loud, “Ahhh” escapes my lips, this was defiantly worth the wait! I am feeling very comfortable at this point, nothing could go wrong. As I fall more and more into relaxation mode, a creature is spotted in the tree limb very close to the edge of the hot tub. I Jump to the opposite edge of the hot tub and scream, “A snake!” A snake was just sitting in the tree staring at us. Not only do I hate being stared at, I hate snakes! That quickly ended our hot tub adventure, besides my drink was almost empty so it was time to get out anyway.

 

The next morning I glance out of the window to check for our new friend. He was still sitting in the tree limb in the same position. I though that was a little strange and decided since it was daylight, I could probably take on a snake. I boldly go out there and take a little closer inspection of the snake. I couldn’t decide if it was dead or maybe it was just shedding its skin? Before I tackle this snake, I call my boyfriend over and say, “Does something look funny to you?” He does five point inspection of the snake, I can see the fire in his eyes, he was ready for a snake fight. As he gets ready to go in for the kill and have an all out wrestling match, I am heavily anticipating the fight between man and reptile, who will come out on top? He goes in for the kill, he is victorious! And there didn’t even seem to be a struggle, as he proceeds to throw the snake in my face I realize why there was no struggle.... It was a toy snake...

 

The move into my first house will always be remembered.

 

© 2008 abparker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on October 13, 2008
Last Updated on October 14, 2008

Author

abparker
abparker

San Antonio, TX



About
I think I should maybe explain my style of writing... which to even do that, I am not sure, because I just started writing 3 weeks ago...... I can say if you knew me, you might understand.... I have a.. more..

Writing
The Pond The Pond

A Story by abparker


My First Day My First Day

A Story by abparker


The Breaker The Breaker

A Story by abparker