Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by AC Sipe

Chapter 4

“What are you doing, Mommy?” Spud asked as she walked into the kitchen. Mom was busy at the stove.

“I felt bad about having to order pizza for dinner yesterday instead of making a special meal,” Mom flipped a pancake as she talked. “And since everyone will be gone to their practices this afternoon, I wanted to do something special for breakfast. We’ve got omelets, French toast, pancakes, waffles, hash browns, bacon, sausage, ham, heavy cream, bananas, oranges, and strawberries. You know how much I love cooking for my army.”

“Oh! I love French toast!” exclaimed Spud.

“I know,” grinned Mom.

“Can I do anything to help?” 

“You can set out silverware for everyone. That would be very helpful and I would appreciate the kindness,” Mom looked up from the pancakes and gestured towards the table.

Spud pulled 8 sets of knives, spoons, and forks from a drawer and with great care placed them at each spot at the breakfast table.“But what practices? Where is everyone going?” she asked as she worked.

“Well,” Mom began, “Daddy and I have to make sure that Reese gets to karate, Vanessa gets to her dance class, Miles has weightlifting followed by swim practice at his high school, and Sid and Joey both have soccer practices.”

Spud scrunched her nose, “Do I have to practice anything?”

Mom chuckled softly. “No, baby. You don’t have to practice anything except being the world’s sweetest little snuggle butt. You can bring a book or your tablet and entertain yourself while we drive everyone else around.”

“That doesn’t sound fun for me at all. That sounds boring!” Spud was annoyed. “Can’t I stay home?”

“I’m sorry, honey, but you have to ride with either your father or myself to keep us company.”

“I thought you told me to bring a book to read?” Spud reasoned, “If I’m just going to be reading, I can do that at home.

At that moment Dad walked into the kitchen, followed by the rest of the brood. “Mmm-mmm… something smells stupendous!” he declared. As the rest of the kids began finding seats around the table, Dad gave his wife a big hug. In this family, they openly shared affection.

“Daddy? Do I have to go with you to Sid and Joey’s practice later?”

“Well,” Dad began before dramatically clearing his throat with a cough. “I don’t know if your mother and I decided who is taking whom where, yet. However, I 100% agree with anything Mom decided before I got here.

Spud sat down at the table in a huff between Vanessa and Joey. Mom and Dad sat plates with mountains of breakfast food in front of their hungry children. “Dig in!” proclaimed Mom. “It’s breakfast-mania!”



© 2020 AC Sipe


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on August 13, 2020
Last Updated on November 2, 2020
Tags: Sci-fi, YA, MG, Kid Lit, Spud Black, Diverse Voices, strong female, blended family, mixed race


Author

AC Sipe
AC Sipe

Butler, PA



About
I'm just a guy in his 30s living in the woods, with a laptop, trying to create interesting stories to entertain myself and my friends. I am a huge believer in a version of string theory that says eve.. more..

Writing
Play Date Play Date

A Story by AC Sipe


Losing Control Losing Control

A Story by AC Sipe


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by AC Sipe