Legacy of Arcane Blood. Secrets of the Past. Chapter 10

Legacy of Arcane Blood. Secrets of the Past. Chapter 10

A Chapter by A.G.Adair
"

Magemasters speech, and their first Arcane Arts lessons

"


Elina could barely contain her excitement, today was the day. First the Magemaster would address the school, all four years in attendance, then she'd be off, to revel in her first Arcane Clericism lesson. Katrina and Crest were just as excited, they'd have their first Arcane Druidism lesson. Elina suspected another reason Katrina seemed excited, she always found a reason to be around the boys, and today she'd have her prey separated from the herd. It was only then she realised that Alaron hadn't joined them for breakfast, Baross arrived moments after they did. "Where's Alaron" she asked Baross, disturbing him from gnawing a particularly large slice of bacon.
"Said something about going to the library, wasn't really payin attention." He replied, washing his bacon down with cappa brew. "Something about a beast or something" he added, unenthusiasticly.
"You still all gloomy about that," Crest said, disapprovingly. "If you were a Summoner primary you'd have been gifted one too."
He's gone to read about his Barbcat she realised. He tried to summon it for them last night but failed, saying it was to slippery, whatever that ment. Baross also had the Arcane Summoners ability, and was only a little bit jealous that Alaron had been gifted a beast.
"I'll save an apple for him" Katrina said, picking through the fruit looking for the juiciest she could find. "We'll have to save him a space."
"Aye... well we're gonna have to move ourselves soon enough," Crest said, looking around the room. "I don't know if the great hall will hold all this lot" She added.
A short time later they discarded the remainder of their meal, crossing the main foyer and into the great hall. Rows of benches lined the hall on each side, large groups mingled, chatting happily. Eventually they found a space near the front, if Alaron didn't hurry he be late, that'd be a really poor first impression. Her father always told her, first impressions are lasting impressions. As the last of the students filled into the hall, Katrina notice Alaron enter, she waved madly trying to grab his attention, as he wandered the room. "Oi... numb nuts, over here" Crest shouted, surprisingly Alaron turned hearing her call, waving as he filtered through the crowd towards them. "You was nearly late you blithering idiot," she added, smiling happily.
Elina had to admit, she liked Crest's and Baross ascents, she thought it gave them character. Even though they were colourful enough without it.
"Sorry... did it though," he said, wearing a ridicules grin. "Summoned Barb twice before I left the library. The trick's to remember I'm in my own mind. Just had to forget my physical limitations, or so the book said." Alaron said, showing the book to the group as he sat between Katrina and Baross.
"What's the other book" Baross asked, notionning to the books in his lap.
"Ethereal Beastieology" Alaron explained, passing him the book. "I'm going to read it tonight. You want it after I'm done?" He asked, enthusiasticly.
"Quiet down... Quiet down," someone shouted, his deep voice echoed through the hall. Master Valsteen our year head, climbed the podium's steps. "Everyone be seated for the Magemaster." He added, his words felt menacing, a clear warning not to disobey.
Magemaster Ravensfall stood before the podium a moment later, his eyes scanned the room as he spoke. "Greetings, and welcome home," he said, his voice carried over the hall, presence heavy in the air. "For a thousand year this school, and others like it have stood as beacons of light. You will stand as torches in the night, as the generation's before you have done. Once their watch ends... yours will begin. We are the light that holds back the night, we are the light that maintains the balance of this world, keeping shadows at bay."
Student spoke quietly behind her, apparently last year's speech was the same.
"First year's... cherish your time in these hallowed hall, learn well and become strong" he added, kindly. "You have four short years to learn everything you'll need, four year to blaze brightly and find your path."
Magemaster Ravensfall eventuality finished his address, and passed the podium over to each year head in turn.
Later that day, still on a high from her first Cleric's lesson, joining her friends in the library. Alaron, Katrina and Crest sat around a circular table, a withered potted plant sat at it's centre.
"This is stupid," Crest said, clearly irritated. "Why won't it work, I'm doing the same as you guys," she added, as Elina joined them.
"Maybe your over thinking it, it's ment to feel natural," Alaron replied, rubbing his forehead.
"I know when I do it, I just let it happen," Katrina adds, placing a hand on Crest shoulder, offering support.
"What you trying to do," Elina asks, now watching intensely, as curiosity builds. "Trying to make this stupid plant bloom, they've done it," waving at Katrina and Alaron, "but it don't work for me," Crest answered, stress lines appearing on her face.
After a moment's thought, "Maybe there way, isn't your way," she replied, thoughtfully. "We learnt how to make light orbs, stronger the memory, brighter the orb,"She added, thinking back to her lesson. "Fergus, you know the Coldain, said he thought if his dad's Ice iron forge while most thought of loved ones." Fergus was the only Coldain Dwarf in their year.
Crest's brow furrowed in contemplation, "So think of something natural... to me?" She said, questingly. Her hands moved back to the withered flower as her eye's closed. Nothing happened at first. Tiny tendrils of light began to sprout fourth. Within moments dozens of vain, emitting a strange earthly glow weaved through the potted plant, binding themselves within. Petals began forming, a radiant pink and the once wiltered stem, now stood tall and strong in a vibrant, healthy green.
Elina watched the flower bloom before her eye's. The magasty of the moment stuck her, followed by longing and envy. She'd been existed, wanting so much to show them her light orb, now it felt meaningless, a star next to the moons radiance.
The group cheered loudly earning a disapproving gaze from the librarian. "Gotcha" Crest said, gleefully with triumph clear in her eyes.
"I thought about reforging my dagger," she added, pulling out a small gleaming blade, "it were a lump of rust when I found it" she explained, placing it in front of her.
The craftsmanship was exquisite, Elina thought, even the hilt had been painstaking carved to resemble a bear's head


© 2018 A.G.Adair


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on November 16, 2018
Last Updated on November 16, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Adventure, magic


Author

A.G.Adair
A.G.Adair

Lincoln, United Kingdom



Writing