Skipping Valentines

Skipping Valentines

A Poem by Blue
"

No to Valentine's Day!

"

If there's a day I'd like to skip

and witness it no more,

it is the fourteenth day of Feb

which gives me quite a snore.

I hate the roses everywhere

and couples wearing red.

All lovers should break up at once

and not make love in bed.

 

 

I wish to sue the TV shows

that air out kissing scenes.

And lovestruck poets should be hanged

along with crazy teens.

There shouldn't be a single song

with lame romantic rhymes.

And dating should be labeled as

the greatest of all crimes.

 

 

Whoever dared invent this crap

deserves a room in hell.

Those people who participate

should be with him as well.

See, it's not fair that they rejoice

and grief is all that's mine.

'Cause this event reminds me of

my long-lost valentine.

© 2014 Blue


Author's Note

Blue
Sorry for the vulgar word "crap". I want to use "nonsense" but it has two syllables. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nah, the word crap really isn't that vulgar (0= I am not a big fan of Valentine's Day myself. I wrote it okay year. I had a Valentine, but I feel like if you have someone you should appreciate them every day

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Good piece of advice, SH. Thank you so much!
Don't apologize for using 'crap.' It perfectly describes the day of the year I hate more than any other. As I see it February 14th was invented so those not with someone could be made to feel left out one more time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Aww... I understand how you feel, George. Thank you for dropping by.
You don't need to apologize for words! When used in an appropriate manner, vulgarities have their place. This was a wonderful opposite perspective on the lovey dovey holiday scene. Well done! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Raymond...
This is cute, but again, the "la dee da dee da" rhythm and rhyme scheme make the poem feel a little trite. Also, I can't help but argue the idea in the poem. I may be married, but we didn't actually do anything special for Valentine's. You don't have to celebrate it, but you also don't have to militantly hate it: it's like President's Day or Columbus Day or all the other random holidays we have. Every day is just a day, and the worth assigned to it by humans is completely arbitrary. If the day is so bothersome to you, just don't acknowledge it; you don't have to shout out against it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

I see, I see. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :) I like rhythm in poetry because I think it's m.. read more
OMG...such a beautiful piece of work..very well written and am in luv wid it...am glad i got to read it..and i agree wid u completely...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Fancyfati. At least I'm not the only one.
very nicely done ... reminds me of going to church on Mother's day with my young children (3, 6, 8 and 10 when their mother died) the sermons were completely devoted to Mother's and their children ..not that I have a problem with that but I have always felt those without were ignored .. a very successful and (i would say) satirical poem .. and i agree totally with TJW's comments below .. nice job Arzel!
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Einstein, for letting me glimpse in your personal life. It's good to know my WC friends b.. read more
This was truly well written Azrel.The feeling of bitterness and anger pours out of this piece.Not everyone loves Valentine.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Vidya.
NIce write. An Anti-V Day poem. The best kind of love poem ever.
Nice rhyme scheme. Good tempo. Your feelings come through nicely.
And also, as an undertone, you allude to this idea, of not wanting others to have what it is that I have lost. A powerful theme in human relationships, one rarely, if ever, mentioned.
Very talented. Nice. I too, wrote an Anti-V Day Poem... different, and similar.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Terry! Your words brightened me up today. I will read your poem.
Odysseus Wanders

10 Years Ago

Thanks... caution... there is vulgarity. Just a heads up.
Valentine day is create for the retail. Real love is shown daily. I don't celebrate the day. If dear wife need something. She buy it. I understand this poem. I guess the young in heart need a special day to celebrate love. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Coyote.
valentines day......reminds me those days which I don't wish to recall. Red roses are plucked without mercy and are wasted on feb 14th which I really hate to see.... I really enjoyed the poetry:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue

10 Years Ago

Sorry to hear that, Vani. I sympathize with you. Thank you for your kind review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1274 Views
50 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 11, 2014
Last Updated on February 11, 2014

Author

Blue
Blue

City of Love, Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
Hi, there! I don't know who I really am but let's start with my name. I am Arzel Joy, otherwise known as Blue here in WC. I have more pressing matters at hand so I have reduced my time spent on th.. more..

Writing
Please Tell Him Please Tell Him

A Poem by Blue


Sank, Saved Sank, Saved

A Poem by Blue


Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Blue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..