What is Love?

What is Love?

A Poem by Amanda

What is love?  I always thought I knew what it was...it is a feeling that can be euphoric and beautiful, at the same time; it can be cruel and crushing.  To love someone with your heart and soul is something to be revered.  But sometimes it doesn’t work out the way you want it to.

 

To love someone and have that love returned is a wondrous thing.  The high is sometimes more than you can bear...but when it doesn’t work out the way you want, it can be equally as hard to bear.

 

To have loved and lost can be construed in a bad light. To me, that isn’t necessarily true.  For I did not really lose in that respect...I still have the love, but not in the form that I wished it to be. I consider myself luck to have the love that I have always had, for it is true and unconditional. I will have it for as long as I wish it to be. 

 

It will always be with me...in my heart and in my soul.   

 

© 2008 Amanda


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I believe this is true.I also believe the one you can trust who will always be there for us and don't let us down is God. In life we want someone to love us the way we love them a lot of the times it may not work out but I believe there is that 1 that will be everything we need or want,We have to love ourselves first before we can give true love or even except love.

Posted 15 Years Ago


i really like this poem. great job. love is a powerful thing let alone how powerful it is to write about it in an understanding view. this poem on love is quite great with the image, but i dont think it's quite a poem. it's more of a short essay on love. just my opinion. it's still very good.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Ah! Love! Who said "the only cure for Love is to love more"? And who said "Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all"? I enjoyed reading this composition. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Whilst I do not believe that this is poetry in the strictest sense, it is as flowing as beautiful as poetry can ever be. I would define this a reflection upon the question 'What is Love?' Of course, I could be wrong. I could be misinterpreting the lines. I could be reading it as a reflection much rather than poetry and thus I have this general perspective but the structure is not definitive to poetry. There are no stanzas. Instead, it is continuous prose which runs concurrent with novels, short stories and reflections. This seems an exploration of the inner web of love, the trials and tribulations, the good and the bad. This is what is needed in life; people who can explore and analyse poetically.

I'll admit that I'm not a large fan of the writing. It seems so...undeveloped. Instead of angst, I find a barrier. There is no emotion. There is no power. Instead, there is nothing but this towering wall that hinders it from being what it could be. It has such great potential. Examine that potential. You have used so much emotive language that it has negated the intented effect of it. It flows well. I've read it once. I saw it as a reflection. I read it again and I noticed the subtleties of poetry coming through but those are subtle and more to do with the lexical choices much rather than the structure. I don't know if this was intentional or not. I'm not one to judge.

I do enjoy the optimism. There is hope, that much is obvious. There is this clear desire to attain 'love' as it is described here but, beyond that, it's nothing more than a bubble of thoughts. It's a short caption, a photograph of the mind's eye pasted onto paper in elegant words. It reminds me of a present, wrapped in beautiful paper and ribbon. This is what this is; it's beautiful but, beneath the ribbons and wrapping, it's hardly spectacular.

As I suggested, it isn't all bad. Explore the thoughts. If it is meant to be a reflection, reflect and reflect well. If it is meant to be poetry, reconsider the structure. The language is beautiful, I wouldn't change a thing about that. It's elegant. I believe this could be defined as a 'work-in-progress'. You've got the beginning. You've got the end. The middle just needs consideration. That's what makes the difference between good and great. You've done well. I commend you. Take the criticism with a pinch of salt. I'm just one person.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2008

Author

Amanda
Amanda

Austin, TX



About
Use our Free Myspace Banner Maker! Click Here! hey!...to all my friends and anyone that happens to read my writings, I'm going to be off from this site for a little while. I'm having to deal with .. more..

Writing
Swept Away Swept Away

A Poem by Amanda


fading away fading away

A Poem by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..