The Thoughts of an Empathetic

The Thoughts of an Empathetic

A Poem by Amanda
"

...do you believe we exist?

"

 

The Thoughts of an Empathetic

 

 

Thoughts of an empathetic;

Someone that senses the pain

And anguish of others,

Weighs heavily on the mind…

 

Not really knowing what is to be

Just that something will happen,

To the ones that are close,

Cutting like the sharpest sword…

 

A gift or curse, not for sure,

Anxiety builds to the point

Of manic frenzy,

Uncontrolled feelings…

 

Fear of what may be

And what may become

Never knowing, just the raw feelings,

Haunting always…

 

Nothing can stop it,

No medications or denial

No matter how hard they try,

It will come…

 

 

Some may not believe

That such people may exist,

Putting it off as them being

Psychotic, demented souls…

 

 

But it does subsist,

Here in the now and always has,

It, along with all I am,

Is part of my living essence…

 

And something I live with on a regular basis…

 

 

Agt  12 June 2009

 

© 2009 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
i wrote after a particularly bad week....it was quite debilitating for me and though the outcome was not as bad as the feeling i had, it still affected me. tell me what you think. AT

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi Amanda- it was very nice to read these words. I love this subject! Human ability fascinates me as I believe that we are all connected in a very fundamental way and that we are all as capable, or as incapable, as we wish to be. In this context I think that embracing the abilities of an empath will always be draining if a balance is not found. Unfortunately, however, we live in a society that demands so much of each individual so that a privileged few can continue to benefit. I see the whole structure as a contrivance to gain two-fold: through profiteering in the present and suppressing the masses natural abilities and aptitudes to ensure that their lineage will be afforded the same ascendency over we 'lesser breed'.
A consequence of this is that the abilities fall to a few that live amongst the subjugated masses and I believe that throughout history these people have been actively hunted, harrassed, tortured and murdered by the powers that be to preserve 'the order' and prevent the 'teachings' spreading. Those that have these gifts naturally attract people that are distressed to themselves and the alleviation of life stresses become distributed disproportianatly throughout the world. Subsequently our world has become the way that it is- the majority seem happy with a mundane existence and rarely think beyond their own wants and needs while a caring minority are left to worry about the physical and spiritual pollution being visited upon our planet by the manipulation of malignant leaders- throughout history. The suppression of human evolution is a subject I write about in depth, (I'll probably post some of it on this site over the course of time actually)- maybe we are all mad, but if their path is 'sanity' then I'm happy in depression thanks very much. I really like this poem, though I am no use at commenting on form, etc- I nearly always comment from the reactionarry heart- not the measured mind, take care, spence

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ah! This is so sad and dark, I could sense sadness in each and every word of yours :'(

A gift or curse, not for sure,
Anxiety builds to the point
Of manic frenzy,
Uncontrolled feelings� - Wow! I loved these lines a lot, they are so heart wrenching and true..
A brilliant piece of writing and so beautifully sad!
I hope this phase will end from your life soon!


Posted 14 Years Ago


That was quite interesting and intense, I believe in that power that some people have, I have always had a sixth sense myself, not as strong as some... in fact I think we all do to some extent just most don't recognize it, they pass the feelings off as nervousness.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Being able to understand oneself - as often as possible that is, helps you to see other people and understand if not wholly, but, a little, of how they feel. One can sense something in the manner, un-ease, lack of eye to eye exchange, a something hanging over a head or surrounding the person's being; you see it, you feel it and it can hurt.

The weight remains inside a sensitive heart and lingers to the point of taking over. Now that is empathy.. taking on a shawl of hurt or worry, it can almost suffocate. Maybe this is what you've felt and written about so amazingly.

Animals have that extra sense of 'what is' .. they don't control their minds as human beings do, we've lost the ability to feel from inside out, to experience beyond self. Plus, when did you hear a person say
' There's going to a storm or strong winds' - anuimals do, they sense it, they have born instincts which most men have lost or no longer care about.

'But it does subsist,
Here in the now and always has, '

Yes, it does exist.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Loved it. On a lighter note, it can be quite comical when you have three empathetics in the room at once.

Like, for example; two of my friends, along with myself, are empathetics. What makes it funny is when we have one of my friends who is almost always pissed off in the room and the other friend who is usually hyper all the time in the room. Then we start feeding off of each other. I'll get really hyper and start jumping, and then feel pissed off at the same time. This usually results in all three of us being a bunch of pissed off individuals who are laughing ourselves into a breathless coma.

Smile! No day is completely horrible. (Even if you literally died, I'm sure there was still probably a moment to laugh about before death.)

-Midnight Writer

Posted 14 Years Ago


the only problem is we live in a repressed society..And the word empathic is actually correct.

I'm severely empathic. it is quite debilitating at times. It is also quite rewarding.

sometimes the only relief we have is to talk about it. If it freaks people out, this only validates what you are feeling..because it is emotions you're picking up on that others are thinking deep down. Life is a constant reflection process.the earth, the stars, the plants, the insects, the animals, the people, it's all a reflection process.

and if we really reach down and think about it, those feelings from others that we're forced to feel have a lot to teach us about what we're feeling as well.

the one and only reason I write is to touch those feelings and thoughts and embrace them. When I write heavy prose, and I've brought tears to my eyes w/ a few fortunate phrases, I know I've done something worthwhile. The right peoplle will relate to it on one level or another or many levels.

It is subjective objective and universal. And the people that have shared their feelings w/ you however accidentally and unconsciously should be honored, because it's an intimate thing. We should all be relately to one another and crying on each others' shoulders.

One day an ideal world may exist. I'm at least open to the possibility..until then I'm just gonna explore the good and like minded people as best I can.

Just keep your eyes and your heart open as best you can, and know there's support out there for you if you just ask. Sometimes it is much closer than you think.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your view point is very intriguing and leaves me very curious of your further thoughts. Nothing is better than questioning things, for how else do we find any answers? I love how you your flowing stanzas share such raw, true, honest feelings--it shows a deep part of you that I'm sure others are dying to know. There is brilliance in this poem and I commend you! Awesome writing! :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think it is hard for most to understand what the sensitive soul bears through the course of a normal week. . .

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked it and thanks for the request. To be honest poems are a bit difficult for me to review as I am a novel and short story writer. The reason I say this is that poems are so inherently subjective. Who am I to suggest critiques on the prose because those changes could very well destroy the entire flow of the piece. As a take it or leave it suggestion though I would say this: as an experiment try re-drafting this or any other piece by taking out the descriptive words. (i.e manic, haunting, uncontrolled) and replacing them with lines that inferentially describe the single word you are using. Example: "manic frenzy" replaced with; "thoughts scattered and strewn from the anxiety's shake". Again this is just something more or less to drum up different approaches to writing not to say what you have is bad. Of course single descriptive words were invented precisely to express a complex concept in a simple manner but, sometimes artistically it nice to walk through the mind of the writer as I read. Now, some would suggest the exact opposite. "Bright, tight, and brief, sailor!" and that's fine it's just a different take on writing but, many would argue that "scared" doesn't have the same feel as "clutching his lap in a vane attempt to stop his violent shake". Know what I mean?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It must be hard work being such a bearer of others' troubles...though, I hope, you also key into their happy moments, too.

p.s. you father wld be proud of your father's day poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think you meant empathetic but apart from that I rnjoyed your thoughts presented emphatically

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
12 Reviews
Added on June 21, 2009
Last Updated on June 21, 2009

Author

Amanda
Amanda

Austin, TX



About
Use our Free Myspace Banner Maker! Click Here! hey!...to all my friends and anyone that happens to read my writings, I'm going to be off from this site for a little while. I'm having to deal with .. more..

Writing
Swept Away Swept Away

A Poem by Amanda


fading away fading away

A Poem by Amanda