The Hunter and the Dragon

The Hunter and the Dragon

A Chapter by Allan Hirsch

One day, a young woman who had been out in the fields picking berries wandered across the river into the forest; her mind full of dreams and her heart filled with a secret she longed to express. She walked into a hidden glen and sat on the ground, leaning against a linden tree who's green, broad leaves spread above her like a great canopy. From her voice she spoke the words from her heart till these words spread their wings and flew into a beautiful song.

The animals stopped to listen, all except the birds in the branches of the trees who preferred to sing along in their high-pitched peeping voices. The prancing deer, the squirrels and rabbits, even the more ferocious beasts like the wild boar, the bear and lion gathered near to the lovely maiden. She silenced and tamed them with her lovely song.

Of all the strange and wonderful creatures gathered there, an animal of rare beauty stepped forward and lay at the woman's feet. It was a unicorn, white as the snow-clad mountain peaks, soft as the silky seeds that float over the winds in the meadowlands. Few hunters had ever seen one, for they are as swift as the spring winds and shy as the violet. However, it happened that a brave hunter had been passing nearby through the trees when the young woman began to sing. He walked quietly toward the glen and stood amazed at the sight of the woodland creatures gathered around the lovely maiden. When he saw her beauty, as her song traveled to the most treasured place in his heart, he could do nothing but fall to the ground and wonder. Long he had been the mighty hunter; the one to throw the spear, to let fly the arrows at the trembling prey. Suddenly an unseen arrow had pierced his own heart and now he longed to win the heart of this forest maiden.

'How is it that her words have wings and fly as if the heavens themselves were speaking and what kind of creature is it that lies at her feet?' wondered the love-stricken hunter. He thought he had seen all the forest creatures but a horned horse with white wings he had never seen.

There was a rumbling sound and the whole earth shook. Trees shook all about him as the rumbling sound rose into a roar.

The unicorn spread its wings and flew upwards as the woman rose to her feet. He flew high above the trees, watching as the woman frantically ran to the shore, to her family, and hopefully, safety.

Then a side of the great mountain burst, huge rocks and boulders tumbled and kicked off the steep cliffs into the open air. They landed and rolled through the forest trees.

Shooting out from the bowels of the mountain, lifting it's thick, leathery wings outward and whipping the dusty sky appeared a huge, grotesque dragon. It came swooping down, coasting above the forest trees searching for its prey. With a frightful sound bellowing from its enormous jaws, it stretched out its claws and captured the young woman before she could reach the open beach. From the dragon's mouth spewed tongues of flame, breathing fear into all the animals and people that ran about. Then the great beast flew off, returning to her hidden den in the rocky, desolate cliffs high up in the mountain.

All the people cowered and cried at the tragic scene. All except the hunter who had, only moments ago, been watching in silent adoration at the young woman in a swoon, singing her heavenly song. He had escaped from being crushed by falling trees, dodging the pummeling boulders as they tore violently through the woods. Now a silent rage awoke in his brave heart as he watched the dragon steal away with her prey. He ran toward the mountain hoping to rescue the beautiful woman from the clutches of the beast.

Though he was a fast runner, he was no match against the flight of the dragon. The unicorn that had been circling about in the sky swooped down to where the hunter ran. The hunter jumped upon its back, responding to the unicorns bellowing voice as the warrior would the cry to do battle.

From the earth below, the people watched the hunter and unicorn fly off in pursuit of the dragon. Few had ever seen such a beautiful creature as the unicorn and none had ever seen such a brave man as the hunter. And no one, in their wildest imaginations had ever dreamed there could be such a horrible beast as the dragon.

For long years she had slept beneath the surface of the earth. Only the rock men shared her lonely cave. These were the dwarves that chiseled away at the rock walls, writing in silver and gold the stories of gods and men. The dragon would only snort at this for already she knew everything they could write about. Had she not looked into the eyes of the gods and saw all there was to see? Had she not listened and heard from her secret chamber the sounds of animals and men? She knew it all!

Then something disturbed her sleep, a sound she had never heard before, a song that not even the gods knew of. It was coming from the voice of the woman. The dragon wanted this song for herself. She wanted to look into the woman's eyes and know her mind, look into her heart and know her song. Then finally she would eat the woman and return content to her den.

She flew to a high ridge above the cave and placed the prey onto the ground. The woman had fainted and lay still beneath the great beasts' claws.

There was a loud cry above the dragons' head. It was the swift flying unicorn and the hunter, riding on it's back, flung a spear at the dragons' neck. Before the dragon could turn and face this unexpected opponent, the unicorn crashed against its side and she plummeted over the cliff. Scraping against the jagged rocks of the mountainside, unable to spread her wings she finally landed on the ledge outside her cave.

The hunter and unicorn waited for the dragon to recover and return, but the beast had torn it's wings against the jutting rocks of the cliff wall. She crawled slowly back to her cave; injured wings aching at her side, her body crippled by broken bones and bruises. Beaten before she could fight, by an adversary she did not see, the dragon coiled up in a bitter rage, closed her eyes and slept.

The young woman was now awake and the hunter lifted her onto the back of the gallant unicorn. They flew across the vast azure sky while the people below cheered and danced in joyous celebration.

 

"Well, did you like the story?" asked the old woman.

"Yes," replied Asia. She looked along the wall of the cave at all the windows and wondered how far they went, and yawned.

"I can see it is time for you to return," said the wise old storyteller. "If we meet again, I will tell you the story of the 'Stone Baby'."

"Stone Baby!" exclaimed Asia. "That is a funny name! Babies are not made of stone!"

"Well, it is a very great story nonetheless," said the old woman. "It is a story written in gold by the dwarves that mine these caves, because it is their favorite story."

The old woman watched as Asia drifted back through a window into the bedroom and onto her bed. She watched and smiled as the girl fluffed the pillows and pulled the quilted cover over her and the rag doll.

"We will meet again my little darling," the old woman said. "Our own story is yet to unfold!"



© 2008 Allan Hirsch


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on October 4, 2008
Last Updated on October 6, 2008