II : Dawn of a Journey

II : Dawn of a Journey

A Chapter by IsaacR

Isaac waited for a good few seconds for the Knight to say that he was just messing with him.

After a minute or so of silence, he felt nervous.

"What do you mean?" Isaac asked.

"Exactly what I said." The Knight said. "The Lunar Empress has picked you to be the King of White Kingdom."

"Me. A handyman."

"Exactly."

"Someone who she has never met in her life."

"Yes."

"Someone who has literally no amount of royalty or nobility in his blood."

"Yes."

"Might I remind you, I'm a handyman."

"The point is," the Knight stopped him. "The Empress has chosen you and I will not question her decision."

"But why me?" Isaac asked. This was a lot to take in. Isaac wishes the Knight was pulling a prank on him, but Sovereign Knights don't do pranks. They're trained to have no sense of humor. He learned this the hard way. "I'm no one. I just helped for the sake of helping. I'm no saint myself. I've done bad things in my life."

"Again, I have no opinion on the matter. It's what the Empress wants." The Knight seemed to empathize with Isaac. Being told you're suddenly responsible for a whole nation? That could drive anyone insane. "Maybe she sees something in you that you don't."

Whatever it is that she sees, she's wrong. Isaac was not fit to run a kingdom. He was never a leader. He helped people, he does what he's told. Those are not kingship qualities.

"What of the White Witch?" Isaac asked. "If she made me King of the White Kingdom, what happens to Scarlet? She's the head of the White Kingdom, right? Surely she doesn't deserve to have her position-"

"It was the White Witch's idea." The Knight said. "The Lunar Empress and the White Witch are sisters. Well, half-sisters."

Isaac was speechless. He wasn't going to worm his way out of this.

"What if I say no?" Isaac asked.

The Knight regarded him with his steely glare. "Then I would have to bring you to the Empress." The Knight said. "You currently know way too much and are going against the Empress's order. That calls for treason. And I doubt the White Witch feels too good about that since she spoke highly of you."

Isaac gulped. "So what you're saying is either I become king, or I'll probably be executed."

"Precisely."

He felt like passing out. Normally, that wouldn't be a hard choice to make for anyone. Who doesn't want to become king? You can have wealth, power, land, and everything in between. Anyone would've picked being a king instead of a nobody.

But Isaac saw the opposite of that. The responsibilities he has to bear, the lives he has to think of, and the people he has to care for. Being called a king is one thing, being a king is entirely different.

Isaac has seen more than enough examples of terrible kings and queens in his lifetime. A terrible ruler could lead to the downfall of a kingdom. That means the ones that suffer are the people. If he became king, hundreds - even thousands - of people now put their faith in him to lead them into prosperity.

And Isaac was afraid of that responsibility. He'd have no problems if his actions were his own to bear, but when it concerns other people is when he gets afraid.

But then again, Isaac didn't want to die.

"Can I at least think about it?" Isaac asked. "Or consult anyone?"

"You're not allowed to speak of this matter to anyone." The Knight warned.

Isaac pondered about it for a moment. "How about the Empress? Or the White Witch? Can I at least talk to them first?"

The Knight rubbed his chin. "Hmm. It's impossible for you to meet the Lunar Empress, but we can probably meet the White Witch if we can catch up to them."

"Great. I'll leave first thing in the morning and-"

"No."

"What do you mean?"

"We leave now." The Knight said. "As I said, you know too much. And also, we need to catch up with the White Witch. They're on their way back to the White Kingdom and it will be difficult when they've passed Whitewash Peaks."

Isaac remembered that Scarlet told him how dangerous those mountains are nowadays, now that Icirin made it her home. Sharing the Knight's sentiment, Isaac would love to catch up to the White Witch before the mountains.

But then again, since he'll be the King of the White Kingdom, he might have to pay Whitewash Peaks a visit.

"So, we leave now?" Isaac asked.

"We leave now." The Knight confirmed.

And so, they left in the middle of the night without a word to anyone. Isaac was now sat in the carriage and was off to the Ironwood Forest, where Isaac suspected the party of the White Witch will be. He'd told Elisa that if they needed a place to stay for the night, the town near Ironwood Forest was a good choice since there's barely any Sovereign influence there.

But the trip would take them a day at most. If they're lucky, Scarlet would still be in the town. Even if they traveled through the entire night without stopping, they might not make it in time.

Also, the road is crawling with monsters and bandits. Isaac would be surprised if they didn't stop at least once to deal with either of them.

The silence was awkward for Isaac, so he decided to talk. "I didn't get your name when we met. What was it?"

The Knight gave him a good stare before answering. "Darius." He said simply.

"So, Darius," Isaac said nervously. "You have any ideas why the Lunar Empress picked me to be the King of White Kingdom?"

"It was the White Witch's plan," Darius said. "If anything, you should ask her that question."

"Then do you have any ideas why Scarlet chose me? You do know that I've not met her until this morning, right?"

"I don't question their choices," Darius said firmly. "I just have faith in them. Whatever their reasons may be, I trust in their judgment."

"Is there any evidence to support this or is this just blind faith?" Isaac asked. That must've been a sore subject as Darius sharply glared at Isaac.

"Mind your tongue, boy," Darius growled. "I've been through hell to recognize good and evil. The Lunar Empress has saved me from the Empire's clutches. I owe her my life."

Isaac gulped. "So, she's on the good side, then?"

Darius huffed. "I won't say that the Empress is all good, but she's better than the Sovereign King."

Isaac just nodded, but he still wasn't seeing it. To a degree, Isaac understood. The Sovereign King ruled with authority. No one can defy him, no one can go against him and anyone who does will be executed.

But then again, it's not like the King ruled with an iron fist. People still have freedom, they can still live peacefully under the Sovereign Empire, and they can live happily as long as they don't defy the King.

He'd heard of stories about how the King razed dozens of villages into the ground for defying him, how he cruelly executed ten people in his own palace because of possible treason, how he tortures enemy spies for information, and so on and so forth.

But the King had also helped maintain peace within the Sovereign Empire. He improved the living conditions in most of Arya and the majority of people who swore allegiance to the King are happy.

Take the Kingdom of Leadun, for example. Up until three years ago, they have a terrible ruler. A king who taxed the hell out of his people and cared only about his wealth and status. The people were definitely not happy. The Sovereign King intervened and executed the king of Leadun and replaced him with a new king.

Since then, Leadun has been a prosperous kingdom.

Again, Isaac was not taking sides. As long as he could avoid any conflict and live peacefully, he had no quarrel with any sides.

But if he was going to take on a role that would involve him going against the Sovereign King, he would like to know why. Many thoughts circled his head.

Is it because of power? Does the Lunar Empress wish to take control of the Sovereign Empire?

Is it because of the people? Does the White Witch want to expand her lands to help her people?

Or was it some other third party? Perhaps a faction from another continent?

Isaac couldn't tell and because of Darius's sudden snap just then, he was afraid to ask.

"We will be on the road throughout the night," Darius said. "Get some sleep if you have to. I doubt we will have a smooth journey."

A thought popped into his head. "Take the Red Passage through the Crimson Woods."

Darius frowned. "You want us to go the Crimson Woods at night?"

"It'll be faster than taking the normal route to Ironwood Forest," Isaac said. "And there are no bandits."

"Yes, but it's the Crimson Woods," Darius said. "If you're not aware, it's the home of the Red Serpent."

"I'm aware and don't worry. We'll be fine." Isaac said. He could see that Darius was having trouble believing him since not many people knew what he knew about the Crimson Woods. "Just trust me. We'll make for a better time."

"Are you sure?" Darius asked.

Isaac nodded. "I mean, we can just take the normal route and face bandits and monsters if you prefer. I'm not much of a fighter, so I won't be able to help you out."

Darius grunted. "Fine." He opened the window and talked with the coachman. The coachman argued and after a little back and forth, he relented and they made their way to the Crimson Woods.

The Crimson Woods is a thicket of trees spanning far and wide, just edging near the Ironwood Forest. As with its name, it's filled with trees with leaves that are dark red. If you look at it from above, the Crimson Woods would look like a sea of blood. Sunlight barely goes through its dense canopy of leaves and the thick trees and roots are impossible to navigate through.

The Red Passage is a pathway that goes straight through the forest and out on the other side. It was created as a safe way to navigate through, but it was useless with the presence of the Red Serpent.

No one knew of its origin, aside from its hellish red color that matches the forest. The serpent was said to be so large that it could swallow a carriage whole. It had made the forest its home and would constantly prey on the people who would dare enter its territory.

Many ventured into the Crimson Woods, but only a few returned and those who do are the lucky ones who have escaped the Red Serpent. Not only is the serpent hungry for blood, but it is also cunning. It uses its red color and disguises itself among the trees, stalking its prey before going for the kill.

Of course, these were all stories that Isaac has heard. But he knew the truth. He'd been into the Crimson Woods.

Less than two hours later, they arrived at the edge of the forest. Despite the dark of midnight, the red tinge of its leaves was unmistakable. In front of them was a clear passage that went straight ahead. To their left and right, thick trees stretched as far as the eyes could see. If they took the normal route, it would take them a day longer to go around the Crimson Woods.

"It's not too late to change your mind." The coachman said.

"We'll keep going," Darius said. The coachman sighed and grabbed the reins as they ventured into the forest. His anxiety was justified, of course. This was the home of a monster that could eat him whole.

The carriage went slowly through the forest as the leaves rustled in the night. Everyone was on edge.

Well, everyone except for Isaac. He poked his head out of the window and whistled in three different pitches.

"What are you doing?" Darius asked.

"A signal."

Darius kept his eye out for any reptiles that he could see. Every time he heard hissing, he perked up and his hand immediately went to the hilt of his sword.

"Calm down," Isaac said. "We're safe."

"How are you so sure?" Darius asked.

Isaac grinned. "The Red Serpent doesn't exist."

"What do you mean?"

"The people in these woods," Isaac said. "They don't take kindly to strangers."

"I thought no one lived here."

"And they like it that way," Isaac explained. "The Red Serpent was a rumor that they spread so that people would stop coming into the woods. They prefer to live in secrecy."

"So those stories?"

"All fake. The forest is perfect for it. Do you hear that?" Isaac pointed out the sound of hissing and slithering.

"Sounds like a serpent," Darius said.

"It's the leaves," Isaac said. "They're perfectly shaped and holed in a way that when the winds blow through them, they sound like hissing."

"What about the stories of being eaten?" Darius asked.

"Exaggeration," Isaac said. "They were probably ambushed after being tricked that they were followed by a serpent. These people specialize in illusion and deception. They will make you see what they want you to see."

"Hm," Darius said. "Are you friends with them?"

"Oh, not at all," Isaac said. "I saved one of them a while ago, so we're on good terms. I use this passage when I need to travel to avoid bandits."

"How will they know that you're with us?"

"The signal."

"You mean the thing you did at the edge of the forest?"

Isaac nodded. "It's a signal to alert them that an ally is passing by. We won't be disturbed in the passage, I guarantee you. Although, I can't be certain that we're not being watched."

Isaac looked outside the carriage. Even though he couldn't see anything in the dark forest except for the pathway, he knew something was watching them.

Despite Isaac's explanation, Darius was still cautious. He was on the lookout for any potential threats while Isaac relaxed, knowing that they would be safe.

After an hour or so of traveling through the Crimson Woods, they emerged on the other side. After being in the darkness of the forest for a while, the moonlight seemed blinding. When they got out, Darius seemed to relax.

Isaac poked his head out of the window again and whistled loudly, this time two pitches.

"What was that?" Darius asked.

"A way of saying thanks for granting safe passage," Isaac said. "It's not necessary, but I like to show gratitude."

On cue, a similar two-pitched whistle came back from the forest, as if to reply to Isaac's whistle.

Isaac smiled at the thought as they continued their journey.

Somewhere along the trip, he fell asleep. But he was woken up by the carriage going into a sudden halt.

Isaac woke up in a daze as he saw Darius step out of the carriage with his sword and shield at the ready. "What's going on?" Isaac asked.

"Bandits," Darius said. "Stay in the carriage." As Isaac looked outside, it was probably early in the morning. They were somewhere in the countryside with nothing for miles except for grassy hills and empty fields.

Isaac couldn't see up front, but he assumed there were bandits.

Despite Darius's warning, Isaac exited the carriage to witness the commotion. In front of them, was a band of six people. All armed and armored. They came in different shapes and sizes, literally. They have an orc, an elf, three humans, and what looked to be a beastman.

Darius stood between them and the carriage.

"Let's make this easy." The beastman said. "Give up your valuables and we'll let you live."

"Didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to rob a Sovereign carriage." Darius hefted his sword. When he charged forward, he moved with blinding speed. For a big guy, he had a spring in his step.

The elf tried casting a spell on him, but Darius was quick to take her out.

Now, Isaac had no problem seeing dead bodies. He's seen his fair share of it. But he usually sees them when they're already dead.

That's why it came as a surprise to him when Darius lobbed the elf's head clean off without hesitation.

The other bandits tried taking him on together, but it was no use. These were merely bandits. Darius is a Sovereign Knight. A highly trained killer. Bandits were of no problem to him.

Within a matter of seconds, he was done. Isaac was speechless.

He'd never seen someone take someone's life before. Granted, it was justified. They were bandits and would've taken his life, so Darius took theirs first. It's not like he didn't understand that.

It's just his first time seeing it and it felt weird. Not so much as disgusted or afraid, it just felt weird.

After Darius was finished, he put his hands together and muttered a silent prayer before heading back to the carriage. That's when he noticed Isaac was watching them.

"I told you to stay inside," Darius said.

"Thought you needed a hand," Isaac said. Darius said nothing as they both entered the carriage and continued with their journey.

Isaac stared out the window as the scene of the battle keeps playing in his head. Darius seemed to notice this.

"You've never seen death before?" The Sovereign Knight asked.

"I have. I just haven't seen it happen in front of me." Isaac said.

"So you haven't seen someone kill someone else," Darius said. "And do you have a problem with it?"

Isaac shrugged. "Not really. It's not like I like or don't like it. I just understand it."

"Hm." Darius pondered. "Have you ever taken a life?"

"No," Isaac said. "I never think there would be a situation where I would have to take someone's life."

"You might have to as a king," Darius said. "There might be a time where you have to do it."

Isaac snickered. "Makes you wonder why the White Witch chose me to be the king. Can you imagine? A king that doesn't kill? The criminals would have a laugh."

Darius straightened his posture. "I'm not saying you're unfit to be king. I'm just saying you might have to do it."

Again, Isaac snickered but he didn't say anything this time. Why in the world would Scarlet pick him as king is beyond him, but he would like to find out.

After another few hours of traveling and a few more encounters with bandits and monsters, they finally reached Ironwood Forest.

Well, the town outside of it. The Ironwood Town. A town of lumberjacks that farms the tree of Ironwood Forest. As the name suggests, the trees in Ironwood Forest look like any normal tree, except for their properties.

The wood that comes from the tree is as hard as iron, making it the hardest and sturdiest wood in all of Arya.

It's almost amazing that the Sovereign Empire doesn't have a monopoly on this town, since it has very high demand from everyone throughout the continent.

"Ironwood Town," Isaac said. "It's my second time here."

"I've been here previously," Darius said but he didn't elaborate. He spoke with the coachman for a bit before he took off with the carriage.

"Where's he going?" Isaac asked.

"To the nearest Sovereign outpost," Darius said. "He's going back to the Royal Capital, so he wants to ask for the Sovereign Empire to protect him through the journey since he can't go through the Crimson Woods again."

"Why?" Isaac asked. "I thought he'd stick around for the ride."

"I sent him back," Darius said. "He has no business with our business and I don't intend to involve him even further. From here on out, it's just going to be us two."

"That's reassuring," Isaac muttered as the two went into the town.

As expected from a lumberjack town, almost every building here was made out of wood and logs. Isaac didn't blame them. He'd worked with Ironwood before. He tried sawing an Ironwood log by hand for thirty minutes without making any progress. You need special tools and techniques to work with it.

Isaac and Darius went into the local tavern, the first place you go to when you want to find someone. Everyone was giving them the stink eye, and it probably had to do with Darius who was a Sovereign Knight.

The Sovereign Empire isn't exactly welcomed here.

"Why don't you wait outside?" Isaac said to Darius. "I'll talk with the bartender."

Darius seemed hesitant, but he noticed the negative attention he was drawing. "Fine." He said before exiting the tavern. Isaac went over to the counter.

"What'll you have?" He asked. Unlike Big Bob, the bartender was slim and looked bored as hell with droopy eyes and a slouched back.

"White Root Ale, please." Isaac tossed him a gold coin which he caught perfectly. He poured Isaac's drink and handed it to him. It's almost a custom to order a drink before asking the bartender for anything. Isaac took a sip of drink as the familiar taste of White Root slid down his throat.

He felt refreshed a let out a sigh of relief.

"What's your business here?" The bartender asked with a cautious tone. Although that's the question, Isaac knew what he was really asking.

Why is the Sovereign Knight here?

"He's just accompanying me," Isaac said. "He's here on behalf of himself and not the Empire. Our visit will be brief."

The bartender seemed to relax a bit. "You looking for something?" He asked.

"Three people," Isaac said. "Should've arrived yesterday. A knight and two girls. Any information on them?"

The bartender perked up but did well to hide it. "What's it to you?" He asked. That confirmed that he had heard of Scarlet's party.

"Personal business," Isaac said as he slid another five gold coins. "We just need to know where they are and we'll be heading out."

The bartender switched glances between him and the coins before he took the coins. "A couple of mercenaries were looking for them earlier today. Said that those three had a bounty on their heads. I told them they're heading south towards Sarca."

Isaac frowned. "They're going south?" That was the opposite of where they were supposed to go. The White Kingdom was far north.

"The mercenaries are." The bartender explained. "The trio has probably already left."

Isaac sighed in relief. "Where are they headed?"

The bartender shrugged. "Didn't say. All I know is they're heading north."

So they're still heading for Whitewash Peaks.

"What's the closest town north from here?"

"Hm. Depends on where you're going. If you're heading for port, it'll be Riverside. If you're going up the mountain, it's Tuplin."

Then that's where they're headed next. "Got it. Thanks." Isaac tossed him another gold coin as a tip before heading out.

When he was outside, Darius was waiting for him. "Well? Have you learned anything?"

"Tuplin," Isaac said. "That's where they're headed. And it appears that we're not the only ones after them." Isaac told him about the mercenaries.

Darius cursed under his breath. "Then we need to move. But before that, I need to buy something."

Isaac expected Darius to buy something for himself, so he was surprised when Darius bought him a sword.

It was a simple straight sword made of iron. Isaac had never wielded a sword properly before, so the thing felt weird in his hand.

"What's this for?" Isaac asked.

"Protection," Darius said.

"You know I can't wield a sword, right? I'm a handyman."

"I'm well aware of that," Darius said. "This is only to protect yourself. It's better to have something to defend yourself with rather than be empty-handed."

Isaac didn't argue with that logic, so he strapped the scabbard to his waist and sheathed the sword.

They bought two horses from the local farm and went on their way to Tuplin.

The scenery gradually changed from forests to plains. The two rode for a while before Isaac spoke.

"Are you not tired?" Isaac asked. "You didn't sleep in the carriage, didn't you?"

"Don't worry," Darius said. "I've gone longer without sleep."

"Yeah, but aren't you tired?"

"I'm used to it," Darius said. Isaac wondered what kind of hellish training Darius went through as a Sovereign Knight to be so strong.

They rode for a few hours before Isaac needed to stretch his legs. They stopped by a small river to let the horses drink and rest up as they rested as well.

"We can't stop for too long," Darius said. "The White Witch is in danger."

"I know," Isaac said. "If you don't care for me, at least care for the horses. They get tired too you know?"

Darius didn't argue as he stared into the distance for any potential threats. As the horses rest, Isaac decided to move around to shake off the tiredness. He drew his sword and swung it around. He had no technique or even an idea of how to wield a sword properly. Instead of looking like a graceful swordmaster, he probably looked like an idiot.

Darius seemed to notice it as well. "You're doing it wrong."

"You think?" Isaac grumbled.

Darius stepped in and corrected Isaac's grip. "This is a short sword. You'll have a shorter reach compared to other swords out there, but you'll have a more powerful swing. You've held a hammer before, yes?"

"Of course."

"Grip it the same as you would a hammer," Darius said. "You would usually hold a shield with the short sword, but we don't have that luxury. It's better to have both hands on the sword rather than have one of them flailing around with no purpose."

Isaac set both of his hands on the hilt of his sword. Darius corrected his grip again. "Put your dominant hand closer to the hand guard while the other at the pommel. This will give you more flexibility when swinging while also keeping your swings powerful."

Isaac tried it, but the sword felt awkward in his hands. "This feels funny."

"Because you've never held a sword." Darius pointed out, which was true. "Now, strike me." He took a few steps back and drew his own sword.

"What?"

"Strike me as hard as you can."

"Are you serious?" Isaac asked. Darius nodded. "Uh, you want me to do it downwards or sideways?"

"However you want. Just strike me as hard as you can."

Isaac shrugged. If he asked for it, then he's prepared for the consequences. "Here I go," Isaac said as he raised his sword above his head. He used all the strength he had and swung the sword downwards as hard as he could. It felt like he could've cleaved a boulder in half.

The key phrase here is 'felt like'.

Darius raised his sword to block Isaac's and his sword clanged against Darius's. He felt the impact all through his body, making him drop his sword and clutch his hands in pain.

"Ow!" Isaac yelped in pain. He felt like he'd just run into a wall. Even though he held the sword in his hands, his whole body was aching especially his arms. It felt like his bones were vibrating.

To his surprise, Darius found it amusing. Isaac could see a glimpse of a smirk on his face.

"Good strike," Darius said.

"I felt like I just hit a brick wall." Isaac groaned.

"You will get stronger, in time," Darius said. "Not everyone is good on their first try."

"Yep, I can see that," Isaac said as he tried shaking the pain out of his hands.

"It's not entirely your fault," Darius said. "Your sword is cheap and poorly made. If I hadn't used the flat of my blade, it would've snapped in half."

It felt somewhat relieving to know that he didn't totally suck.

Although he was just given a reality check on how terrible he was, he wanted to learn more. "I'll just have to train more."

Darius snickered. "You do, but not now. Right now, we have to move. A storm is coming behind us." Darius gestured behind him. Isaac turned around to see dark clouds snaking its way towards them.

"Yeah, let's move," Isaac said.

The two get on their horses and continued riding north. The wind started to pick up speed, meaning the storm was closing in on them.

After an hour or so, they managed to arrive at Tuplin by the time it was drizzling. They tied their horses up at the local stables and stayed there for a while, discussing a plan.

The town itself was really small. A single muddy pathway was carved straight in the middle of the town to the other side and the buildings were small and few. It looked more like an outpost than a town.

"If the bartender was right that they're heading to Whitewash Peaks, they must have stopped here," Isaac said. "There's no other town or village after this up until the mountains."

Darius seems to agree. The sky was darkening rapidly as the clouds closed in on them and the time was turning to night. "Shall we find a tavern?" Darius asked.

Isaac was hesitant. Unlike Ironwood, Isaac didn't know anything about Tuplin. He didn't know where they stand when it comes to the Sovereign Empire, he didn't know if they're friendly to outsiders, he didn't know anything.

"Sure," Isaac said. Since the rain was starting to get heavy, people were scrambling to go indoors. A few people were struggling to get their horses under roofs and some were carrying crates of goods to avoid them from getting wet.

Isaac and Darius put a leather cloak on to protect them from the rain and went towards the tavern. Their boots sloshed against the mud and Isaac had to grab on to Darius multiple times to avoid slipping.

When they entered the tavern, it was unexpectedly empty. Aside from a few people drinking and a drunk that passed out on the floor, the tavern didn't have a lot of life.

The bartender eyed them from behind the counter, but she didn't say anything. Her brownish hair was tied into a ponytail as she wore a leather vest.

"Can I get you boys anything?" The bartender asked.

As usual, Isaac ordered White Root Ale. Darius on the other hand ordered water.

"You don't drink?" Isaac asked.

"It numbs the mind," Darius said. Isaac shrugged and paid the bartender.

"You fellas looking for something?" she asked.

"A party of three. Did they come through here?" Isaac asked.

As usual, the bartender was wary of them. They usually don't give out information. At least, not for free.

Isaac slid five gold coins to her, to which she took them without asking. "They came in a few hours ago. Wooden house at the edge of town."

Isaac and Darius exchanged looks and got into a silent agreement. They thanked the bartender and went straight to where Scarlet was.

When they were outside, the rain definitely got heavier and more violent. The winds whipped around wildly as the rain splashed on their faces like needles. At the edge of Tuplin, Isaac could see a rundown house with three horses tied to its stables.

They approached the house slowly. Isaac asked Darius a silent question and he nodded, so Isaac proceeded to open the door.

Again, he was met with the tip of a blade pointing at his face, but this time with a different wielder.

"Handyman?" Elisa asked.

"It's Isaac." Isaac rolled his eyes. Elisa lowered her blade.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Uh, he brought me here." Isaac gestured at Darius.

When Elisa realized who the Sovereign Knight was, she bowed slightly. "Sir Darius. It's a pleasure."

Darius held his hand up. "No need for formalities. I'm here on behalf of the Lunar Empress. We've come to see Scarlet."

Elisa looked nervous. She looked around outside before gesturing for them to come in.

When inside, Isaac could hear the walls and the roof creaking because of the heavy storm. It felt like the winds were going to tear the roof of this place.

Isaac scanned the room. There was nothing there except for a huge empty space and a fireplace. In front of the fireplace, Isaac saw Scarlet wrapped in a leather blanket with Hillut sitting and leaning against the wall, sleeping.

When Isaac took a closer look at Scarlet, she was deathly pale. Well, she is pale in her complexion but now she looked sick. Even though asleep, her expression showed pain. She was also shivering even though wrapped in a blanket and sleeping next to a lit fireplace.

"She doesn't look too good," Isaac said.

"None of us are," Elisa muttered. "Just before Ironwood, we were ambushed by mercenaries. Hillut fought them off, but Scarlet got injured. Ever since then, we barely had time to rest before traveling again."

"Why not treat her wounds first?" Isaac asked.

"I'm low on Mana, so my healing magic won't work," Elisa said miserably. "I've tried asking for any physicians or healers in Ironwood and Tuplin, but have come up empty-handed. Our only choice now is to get back to the White Kingdom as fast as possible."

Isaac knew that it was impossible. Given how hard it is to go through Whitewash Peaks, Scarlet wouldn't survive the journey. It is hard enough to do it when you're healthy and with the added threat of Icirin the Snow Dragon, they wouldn't survive.

"You're gonna have to spend the night here," Darius said. "She needs to recover. You guys as well."

"We can't," Elisa said. "It's dangerous."

"Don't worry," Isaac said. "The bartender in Ironwood told me that he sent the mercenaries looking for you the other way, and it doesn't look like there are any Sovereign forces anywhere around here. You're safe for now."

Darius nodded. "I will keep an eye out for things. Get some rest while you can."

"Thank you, Sir Darius," Elisa said. "You too, Isaac."

Darius then stepped outside to keep a lookout while Isaac stayed inside to keep warm near the fireplace.

Isaac put a hand on Scarlet's forehead and was surprised at how hot it was.

"She's in terrible condition," Isaac said. "Can't we do anything?"

"Unless you have a Mana potion or physician lying around."

An idea clicked into his head. "Teach me."

"What?"

"You have a healing spell, right? Teach it to me."

Elisa frowned. "This is no time to play around."

"I'm not." Isaac urged. "Just tell me how to do it."

Elisa was wary, but she was also desperate. "Hold both of your hands out and create a triangle," Elisa said as she did an example. Isaac mimicked her actions. "Concentrate at the tip of your fingers. Try to imagine a flow of energy coursing through your body to your fingertips."

Isaac closed his eyes and imagined his veins being a connected network of strings around his body and having the energy flow to his fingertips. His fingers felt strangely warm.

"Now imagine it flowing out of you, as if you're - holy hell!" Elisa exclaimed.

Isaac opened his eyes to see his hands glow in a warm green light. Balls of light floated playfully from his hands and into Scarlet, covering her with the same green glow.

Whatever he was doing, it was working. He could see the color return to her face and her breathing got steadier. After a minute or so, he stopped. He didn't realize how much it drained him until he broke his concentration.

His vision went fuzzy and he felt dizzy. He would've collapsed if Elisa didn't catch him. "Easy there." Elisa sat him straight.

"Did it work?" Isaac asked.

"That was amazing," Elisa said in amazement, which Isaac takes as a yes. "I didn't know you could do healing magic."

"Me neither." Isaac groaned. "I just have a knack for doing things. This was my first time doing magic."

Elisa was in disbelief. "That was your first time? And you just did that perfectly as well."

Isaac managed a weak grin. The spell drained his energy. "Why do I feel tired?"

"That's normal," Elisa said as she handed him some water. "Using Mana tires you out. I would suggest refraining from doing any more magic for the time being."

It's not like Isaac could do magic even if he wanted to, but he nodded. At least Scarlet was feeling better. Elisa checked up on her to see how she was doing.

"Her injury is healed now, thanks to you," Elisa said.

"Don't mention it," Isaac said tiringly.

The two sat in silence for a while as Isaac catch his breath.

The rain was still pouring down heavily outside, but Isaac could barely care about it right now. He was so drained that he was ready to take a nap.

"Why did you look for us?" Elisa asked. "I mean I'm grateful, but why?"

"Did you know? She's making me king." Isaac gestured at the sleeping White Witch.

"Oh, I knew," Elisa said. "Didn't think you would come right now though."

"Yeah, well, I'm here now. And I want to ask her some questions."

"Like what?"

"Why did she pick me to be the king?" Isaac asked.

"Why wouldn't she? Actually, I have a better question. Why wouldn't you want to be a king?" Elisa asked. "Everyone wants to be a king."

"Not everyone," Isaac muttered.

"What do you mean?" Elisa asked.

Isaac explained to Elisa the reasons why he doesn't want to be the king. The doubt he has about himself, his lack of kingship qualities, and his fear of the responsibility of being a king.

"I mean, why me?" Isaac finally asked. "I'm sure there are dozens of people who are more qualified to be a king than I am. I am not able to provide and be responsible for the livelihood of thousands of people. I don't want them to suffer because of me."

Elisa pondered in silence for a while before she answered. "Maybe that's the reason."

"What?"

"You know of your responsibilities. You care for the people that are affected by your choice, which is something that most kings and queens don't have these days." Elisa said. "I've known Scarlet since before she became the White Witch. She's a great judge of character and if she sees you fit to be a king, then she truly believes it."

Isaac sighed. He wasn't sure if it was a lack of self-confidence or if he was afraid of it, but he definitely does not see himself as a great king.

"And for what it's worth," Elisa said. "I think you'd make a great king."

"You do realize that we've only known each other for barely two days."

Elisa shrugged. "I'm also a good judge of character."

Isaac managed a chuckle, but he was still doubting himself. If anything, the journey he had with Darius had taught him that he had much to learn.

"Do you know why she wanted to elect a king?" Isaac asked.

Elisa stared into the fireplace. "I don't know much, but I know it was her and her sister's plan."

"The Lunar Empress." Isaac pointed out.

Elisa nodded. "I don't know the exact details of it, but I do know one thing," Elisa said.

"And that is?"

"We are waging war against the Sovereign King."



© 2022 IsaacR


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on October 27, 2022
Last Updated on October 27, 2022


Author

IsaacR
IsaacR

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia



About
New writer! From Malaysia, so English is not my first language. Main genre would be fiction/fantasy. more..

Writing
III : Crossroads III : Crossroads

A Chapter by IsaacR