CHAPTER 6: BUBBLEGUM CRISIS

CHAPTER 6: BUBBLEGUM CRISIS

A Chapter by ailesdelacroix

It took every bit of my persuasion skills to stop Jesse from really taking me home. We lingered by the old windmill taking in the silence around us. The police arrived minutes after Jesse unknowingly rescued me from the Shade. Thankfully, he locked the kitchen and led the police straight to the upstairs bedroom slash crime scene.

“His name was Toby Matthews.” Jesse said, breaking the stillness.

“Matthews? Isn’t that the Mayor’s last name?”

“He’s the mayor’s son.”

“Oh.”

“He was a real b*****d.” He grumbled. “The mayor I mean.” Jesse added.

I looked at him. His brows were furrowed and his mouth was set in a grim line. He had meant what he said.

 “How so?”

He shifted his weight and raised his eyes to the sky. “It’s a long story.” Jesse shook his head in dismay. “Toby is just as big a lowlife as his father and with his sudden death, the topic’s bound to resurface anytime soon.”

“What’re your parents gonna say?”

“I have no idea. My parents died when I was a month old. I never knew them. But I bet they would have had a fit.” He said calmly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay. It was a long time ago anyway. They barely have anything to do with the present anymore. I live with my two brothers now, but they’re usually out of town so basically, I can pretty much do whatever I like.” he turned to me. “Speaking of parents, yours in particular is gonna be pretty pissed if he knew you were still out this late.”

“Nah, this is still early. I stay out later than this.” I boasted.

“But it’s a school night.”

“I did my homework before I left.”

“Such a diligent student, I thought you never take orders from anyone?”

“Nobody ordered me to do anything. I simply acted on behalf of my predisposition. Besides, I don’t like leaving things unfinished.”

At that Jesse pulled me against him. “Really, so you wouldn’t mind concluding our earlier engagement which was so rudely interrupted?”

I released myself from his grip. “That on the other hand should have never happened.”

“I don’t think you actually believe that.” He crossed his arms. “But I would never force you to do something against your will. So I’m giving you time to think it over.”

I huffed. “Your cockiness is incurable.”

“I prefer the term confidence.” He smiled.

I threw my hands in the air, giving up the conversation. “I’m going home.”

“Leaving already? I thought you had a very dynamic night life?”

“I do. I just don’t find joy in talking with someone who’s so full of himself.”

Actually I wanted to stay a while longer. I could always sneak into my room before the sunrise but a second more with Jesse might lead to things I’d be sure to regret later. It was safer to keep a distance.  I strode off towards the trees.

“See you in school then, if you manage to wake up on time.” Jesse called from behind me.

I kept walking but raised a hand and waved.

Gustav was furious the next day - but not at me, thankfully. He was standing in the middle of the living room with his hands clenched at his sides. The TV was showing a news flash about Toby’s death. The reporter was in Jesse’s living room which in the daylight looked messier than it was last night.

“Tobias Matthews, the son of mayor Richard Matthews was found dead during a party last night. His girlfriend Abigail Warner stated that Matthews left her to use the upstairs bathroom but never came back. It was then that the other guests discovered him lying on the floor in one of the bedrooms already lifeless. Forensic experts say that he suffocated but there were no signs of strangling or anything lodged in his airway to cause choking.”

The screen then flashed a photo from the said bedroom where Toby �" censored of course �" was lying face down on the carpet.

“Where’s the remote?” I asked my motionless maker.

Gustav remained silent. I searched the couch but it wasn’t there. Then I spotted some mangled bits and pieces of plastic by Gustav’s feet. I shook my head and reached behind the TV and pulled the plug. I gripped Gustav’s upper arms and gently shook him until he finally looked at me. He sat on the couch and rested his elbows on his knees.

“The Shade did this. Toby is a perfect example of what their victims end up like. They somehow trap targets in a cocoon of shadows so tightly woven that it cuts off the oxygen. What I don’t understand is why was Toby chosen?”

I settled beside Gustav. “Maybe he pissed someone off and didn’t know he was a Shade or maybe it was a personal grudge?”

Gustav scratched his chin. “I’m not sure. But it’s dangerous even for us. Shades aren’t our biggest fans, cherie. When they see or even sense a vampire they strike. No thinking twice.”

“Why are you so hung up with the issue anyway?”

Gustav forced a smile and shook his head. “I’m not,” he continued. “Aren’t you gonna be late for school?”

Clearly the subject was over so I grabbed my backpack and marched out the door.

Jesse was waiting for me when I rolled my bike into the parking lot. It looks like he took our little bonding as a sign that we were past our awkward period. He waved at me cheerily and began jogging in my direction.

“Hey!” he greeted.

“Is this gonna be a regular thing now, ‘cause honestly I’m not used to it.”

“Used to what, hot guys waiting around for you to arrive so they could escort you to class?” he grinned.

“Essentially…” I looked up at him. “…though I can’t say anything about the ‘hot’ part.”

“So you’re saying that I’m not attractive, that you’re not in the least interested in me physically?”

I slung my backpack onto my shoulders and strode off. Jesse followed from behind egging me on about the subject. Obviously, I had wounded his vanity.

“C’mon Sanguine answer me.” He pressed.

I turned on my heel, surprising him that we almost bumped into each other. “Give it a rest; we’re going to be late.”

Before I could take another step he caught my elbow with startling strength �" which amazed me because he was human �" and held me in place. Jesse leaned closer and whispered in my ear.

“Aren’t you ever going to say my name?”

“Not a chance.”

Have you ever felt the feeling that you’re being watched? I do all the time, but besides the fact that I’m naturally paranoid you can’t escape really escape it especially if it’s looking you straight in the eye. Mr. Thatch has been observing me during the whole class. He never calls on me when he asks a question and his lecture was right on track but his gaze was always locked on my face. Sure he scans the room every minute but I swore he never really did look at anyone. It was just a random movement of the head.

“However, after World War II, scientists gradually began using high-energy particle accelerators to provide subatomic particles for study. Quantum field theory, a generalization of QED to other types of force fields, is essential for the analysis of high-energy physics.” Mr. Thatch droned on while scribbling on the blackboard.

His weirdness continued for a week and it was a huge relief for me to finally exit the lab after every class. I found solitude in the school corridors but then one day my temporary peace was invaded by the pungent smell of amber perfume that surrounded me as I stepped into the hallway. Melanie was glaring at me through her glittery blue eyeliner and purple contact lenses. I couldn’t tell if she was trying to copy me or what ‘cause her lenses were almost exactly the same shade as my eyes.

“Step aside Lacroix you’re blocking my way.”

“Why Melanie dear, the door’s big enough for both of us �" or maybe you need to trim off some of that fat you’ve been putting on lately.” I jeered.

Melanie blew air through her nose. “You know Sanguine, Jesse can’t protect you forever.” She said.

I shifted my weight and crossed my arms. “And what makes you think I need protecting?”

“Oh really?” she harrumphed. “We’ll see about that.”

The threat seemed shallow and it was obviously a waste of my time, because what could a human ever do to hurt me. Little did I know that I was underestimating Melanie’s capabilities. Later that day, I had totally forgot about my little hallway encounter as well as Mr. Thatch and his obsessive stare. I had bigger things to worry about like whether they were serving the all meat pizza or the Hawaiian special again. I hated pineapples. Jesse was sitting at my usual table. There wasn’t a tray in front of him. Not even a can of coke. It was new to me because the last time he sat with me he was wolfing down a mountain of food. He beckoned to me with a flick of his finger.

“You’re sitting in my table.”

“Are you that large enough to occupy four chairs?”

I set down my tray and slid into the seat. Jesse was grinning from ear to ear.

“You should wipe that stupid look off your face. You’re starting to freak me out.” I said as I took a huge bite of pizza.

Me freak you out? Hah! That sounds ridiculous coming from the girl who wears too much eyeliner and who stalks the halls like a predator waiting for its prey. I mean, no offense but people do seem afraid of you. Are you honestly trying to scare them away or does it come naturally?” He rested his chin on his cupped hand.

“I could consider both options but neither of them really works.” I took a swig of my soda.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s just that I can’t seem to scare the s**t out of this one guy. It’s getting on my nerves, really.”

“Hmm you’re right; I guess your freakiness doesn’t work on the whole student body.”

I nodded. “Yeah it doesn’t work on the whole faculty either.”

Mr. Thatch was leaning against a wall not far from where we were sitting. Jesse must’ve noticed my eye movement and bobbed his head as well.

“Yeah he’s been there for quite a while now. Is he bothering you?” he shifted in his chair becoming protective all of a sudden.

“No he just stares but he hasn’t done anything yet.”

Jesse began to stand. “Well let’s not wait until he does. I’m going over there and �"”

“No, don’t!” I grabbed his arm tightly. “You’re just wasting your time and it’s really none of your business.”

He hesitated but kept his mouth shut. I finished my pizza and stood up, taking the now empty tray with me. Jesse followed at my heels and I saw Melanie approaching from our left blowing a piece of gum into a pretty big bubble. After a few seconds Jesse spoke up.

“You know, you can never really tell when you’ll need protecting.”

“Trust me I can handle any sit---”

At that moment, Melanie tripped (?) and collided with me. We went crashing onto the floor taking Jesse  with us. It was nothing serious but unfortunately Melanie’s gum bubble popped in my hair.

“Oh I’m so sorry.” Melanie exclaimed. “Here let me help.” She pretended to pick the gum out but just made it worse on purpose.

Jesse slapped Melanie’s hand away and dragged her off me. I stood up slowly trying to control the trembling of my body. No one dared come near me. I was still clutching the plastic tray in my right hand. This was obviously Melanie’s earlier threat. She was trying to make my life a living hell but what she didn’t know was that I could send her there faster than a bullet train. She was smiling when I lifted my eyes to her, a smile I so eagerly wanted to rip off.

“What’re you gonna do now, huh? Run home to daddy?” she laughed.

That infernal laughter pissed me off like never before. I loved winning and I hated losing, especially losing to someone like Melanie. I took a step forward and tightened my hold on the tray and swung it over my head. In a heartbeat I heard the students gasp. In a blink of an eye Jesse tackled me. In a second the tray smashed on the floor flinging bits and pieces of plastic everywhere. I let out a throaty scream not caring who saw my tantrum. I didn’t hold back the stinging tears. They flowed down my cheeks freely and continuously like there was no tomorrow. Jesse was still holding me, trying to prevent me from jumping Melanie but I sagged in his arms like a broken ragdoll. If there was anything I loved as much as my second life, it was my hair but now it was ruined.

“Get the hell out of here before I change my mind and let her attack you!” Jesse shouted at Melanie.

The ice b***h didn’t look too cool after my almost assault. She pushed everyone out of her way and ran out the canteen. The other students chose wisely and exited as well. I found myself collected in Jesse’s arms being rocked back and forth. It was similar to how he handled me during last night’s party. Then I realized I had been attacked for two days straight, by a Shade and by a human. Though the Shade physically injured me more, it was Melanie’s attack that hurt most.

The canteen was nearly empty; it was just me and Jesse. Then I spotted the cafeteria lady run from the safety of her booth and out into the hallway. She would most likely call the principal if some of the other students haven’t done it yet. Then the principal would phone Gustav and I would get into a lot of trouble. But I didn’t care…yet. I just wanted to be left alone to wallow in my misery.

“Starting today, even if you don’t ask for it I will protect you, Sanguine.” Jesse whispered, while smoothing my hair. “I will protect you.”



© 2012 ailesdelacroix


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on October 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 19, 2012


Author

ailesdelacroix
ailesdelacroix

Philippines



About
Hey! the name's Sara, I'm 21, a college graduate with the degree of Bachelors of Science in Nursing. I love drawing, surfing the internet and reading books. I'm an aspiring writer who mostly focuses o.. more..

Writing