Backseat Passenger

Backseat Passenger

A Story by Michael Reisman

Laura and Mark had the same thoughts throughout the year, yet it wasn't until a recent phone chat that it came out in the open. Thoughts of how living together may or may not work out. He was a homebody who never ventured outside to do anything and she was just the opposite whom enjoyed getting out and doing things. An unlikely situation for a successful living together under the same roof. Mark thought he could change his ways and give it a try, but Laura felt that he was stuck in his daily routine. If loneliness and depression could sap the life out of a human being, then let's say that is what exactly happened to Mark as he passed away some months later. He never went to the light and became earthbound with his burning desire to still be with her. Laura glanced in her rear view mirror while out for a Sunday drive. She thought she saw a misty figure of a backseat passenger who was excitingly pointing at the simple scenery of everyday outdoor life. Laura felt his presence and became overwhelmed with emotion as she pulled over to the side of road to collect herself. Mark knew what she was about to do as his invisible hand opened the glove compartment where Laura was about to take a tissue and wipe her saddened eyes. From her perspective, things that might have and could have been. From his perspective, things that most definitely should have been. An extra tissue has been reserved for Mark on those future Sunday drives, where the front passenger seat still beckons his arrival. For now, he still remains the hitchhiker of a lost dream as a backseat passenger....

© 2017 Michael Reisman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This sounds like it could be a true story. Sometimes we fail to take advantage of a particular moment in time and let it pass. Many times, regretfully, those moments can never be recaptured, as in this case. Only sad memories remain.
This one really tugs at the old heart strings.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I found this to be a sad story of unfulfilled dreams and hopes. The main characters were unhappy that they had not found their niche in life and lost the chance to get together with the one person they saw in their lives. The poem leaves you unsettled, kind of hoping for more, and for it to see something good in their lives. It is well written, but needs a little help with grammar and correct word placement. It was interesting and the pov was good. I liked it, though I wished that there was a silver lining somewhere in the clouds

Posted 3 Years Ago


This sounds like it could be a true story. Sometimes we fail to take advantage of a particular moment in time and let it pass. Many times, regretfully, those moments can never be recaptured, as in this case. Only sad memories remain.
This one really tugs at the old heart strings.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Truly a tragic tale. It seems the things that hurt the most are the things that could have been. Touching ending.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

690 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 12, 2017
Last Updated on August 12, 2017

Author

Michael Reisman
Michael Reisman

Eastchester, NY



About
My new website is My new website is michaelsbooksofshortstories.godaddysites.com My email address is [email protected] more..

Writing