Chapter 1: Wildlife Week

Chapter 1: Wildlife Week

A Chapter by Aisha Rashid

Chapter 1: Wildlife Week

Last days of college, and as they end, an unusual sort of emotion rises within everyone around me. There is somewhere a joy of graduating but also a melancholy of leaving back all the fun memories and adventures. There is an excitement of reaching a better position in the world, but then, a fear of not being able to do so.

As I pack for home, and prepare for the last two precious weeks that remain, I too, feel the surge of emotions.

Amidst the plethora of feelings, Karen, my best friend, bursts through the door. I was startled, and wondered, how I am still not used to her sudden appearances.

"Dori, we need to leave, come with me!" she exclaimed, signaling to me and again jolting out of the door.

I picked up my bag which was ready a night before, and ran to catch up with her.

I knew where we were going. We had to head to the Nature Conservationist club, for my meeting with them. The founders, Curb and Tory Willows had made me the president of their club, and they said that they found a "gem of conservation" in me.

I am not aware of as such an emerald or a ruby attached to me, maybe it must be from the inside. And they saw it.

Today was the official inauguration of the celebrations of wildlife week of our club, and I had to be present, said Tory, because there were some special people showing up.

I had organized a couple of forest plantation drives, rescued about two dozen animals from the streets, and helped two or three birds till now, and I was already President.

The event had to be an interesting one. A couple of weeks ago, we had announced on social media about the display of wildlife photography and distribution of awards and prizes for those who had taken special and personal efforts towards wildlife conservation. The motive of the search was to find people who have actually dedicated and spent time towards creatures whose importance needs to be realized in the ecosystem.

And a week ago, I had received hundreds of emails and attached photographs taken by wildlife enthusiasts. Sometimes, I feel that somewhere humanity has understood the beauty of these species and the need to protect them.

Karen had been busy since the final exams got over, putting up posters, and sorting out the best photographs, and sending invitations for the prize distribution. She was working like an ox on the fields.

I, on the other hand, was working with the setups and events that have to be done throughout the week. Keeping a track of all activities. The entire team had designed these amazing T-shirts for the week, which we had been handing to the participants and volunteers.

As we neared the venue of the event, I could see from a distance the hustle and bustle that was going around for the setup for today's inaugural. I reached the entrance, which had been decorated like an arc of trees hugging each other. The effort looked beautiful.

Curb came towards me and greeted me, he was sweating with the work load, and that could be seen clearly.

"I thought Tory keeps only me on the tip of her fingers, but it seems everyone is enslaved with her commands here." He said, panting and wiping his sweat off.

I chuckled at that comment. Isn't that the story of every couple?

Tory had been instructing some young volunteers who had been setting up the chairs for the event, and we could hear a lot of �"put it properly's, you are not doing it right's and here, let me do it because you are so useless' s. Karen could help but let out a laugh.

She soon caught a volunteer and got into the process of the display of photos. I got the invitation speech ready with Curb and then we checked out on the participants who planned out the wildlife exhibitions.

There were many students, some my age, and others even younger, who had brought out their unique pets, and even made games and puzzles for entertainment.

I came across a seventh grader who had made an interesting model of an ecosystem. He said his name was Ben, and he got the idea during a forest trek. I was amazed at his level of understanding! It is true that somethings are better understood in the minds of children.

Some high schoolers made a puzzle of matching the places in the world where the species was found. It would be a great challenge, I thought, as I pinned a participant badge on their new shirts. Their smile gave me immense joy.

Message spread that the program shall start in an hour and people would start coming in in some time. We had planned on giving saplings to the chief guests, and it was a pretty common practice now, and it is also kept the motto of our club alive.

"Midori, I am very exhausted!" Tory said to me, grabbing a chair, and proceeding to sit on it. She sipped water, and then she said, "could you check in on the guest list, I am not sure if Curb even bothered to do that!"

I nodded, and then got a volunteer who was giving tech support to the event to print me out the guest list.

There were over hundred people who were invited all across the state, and out of those people only about fifty had confirmed their presence during the event. I wasn't sure about how many of these would actually turn up. A sea of chairs had been put up, and the college students would also be attending the program for value education purposes, the chancellor had said.

The wildlife documentaries and presentations had been all set up, and the tech team were checking and rechecking the audio systems. Everyone looked occupied.

It is good to see people working under you, you feel a sense of authority and when you too run around the place and guide the event, and are not able to stand on your own feet at the end of the day, it is the best kind of exhaustion.

"Photos all set up. I got to say, you need to have a look at them. They have been taken at such beautiful moments! The jaw drops with awe!" Karen said.

"All done, then?" I asked, turning towards Curb and Tory.

"Yes, and we are just waiting for the chief guest to arrive, students have started coming in." Curb said, giving me a high five.

"This event should be a massive success, and if it doesn't, it going to your fault!" Tory said, pointing towards Curb.

"It would be OUR fault." Curb corrected.

"I put in my bests effort, whereas you were the one who acted like such a couch potato all the time!" Tory blamed.

Me and Karen looked towards each other. We had been used to both of them showing immense love for each other at one moment, and then fighting like children in the next, but it was still a little confusion within us about how on earth can two people even have such an exotic relationship.

"Dori, you think these guys have been married to each other for over two years now?" Karen said.

"Nah, these guys fight like a fifty-year old couple, and then go back into times when they just had gotten into a relationship." I commented, crossing my arms and looking at them with a confused expression.

"Oh, it is their love for nature, you know. I love these two no matter how much they fight!" Karen said.

Me, Karen, Curb and Tory went towards the entrance of the exhibition to greet and welcome our guests. It was an overall good turnout figure, and as soon as the chancellor arrived, we all shaked hands and brought him in toward the big stage, showing him the grand setup.

"I am proud of the efforts that have been made, Ms. Quinten, and Mr. and Mrs. Willows, it is just very exciting to see you two work together." Appreciated the chancellor. Karen lifted an eyebrow when she realized that her hard work has not been acknowledged yet.

"Who designed this stunning entrance?" he asked.

"Oh, sir, it was Karen who handled all of this, she has made mammoth contributions!" I said, exaggerating my point.

Karen gave a feeble smile. The chancellor grinned back at her.

"Of course, it looks extravagant! I am surely impressed!" He said.

"yeah." Karen said under her breath.

It was time for the opening ceremony for the program. I hopped on stage with the speech in my hands and tapped the mic to check it working.

Then showed a little thumbs-up to the tech team.

"Good morning to all the dignitaries and wildlife enthusiasts present here. I, Midori Quentin, President of the Nature Conservationists Club, would like to welcome you to this festival- the festival of nature" I said, and took a deep breath, "It has been great time preparing for this event, for as you would see this entire week. My team and I have always been looking forward towards such programs to awaken knowledge of nature conservation within commoners. The wildlife week would be an amazing opportunity to bring together people and make them understand the beauty of the other species around them. This would not only call for a love towards wildlife in them, but would also make them beautiful as people."

I looked towards Curb and Tory, who were giving me hints of motivation from time to time.

Continuing I said, "I feel extremely proud of my friends Curb and Tory Willows today, the founders of this Club, and the creators of this idea. I and Karen would have seriously not have managed this program if it weren't for you two!"

A roar of applause came from the crowd.

"Let the celebrations begin!" I exclaimed, and Karen burst a party popper from behind.




© 2020 Aisha Rashid


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on March 25, 2020
Last Updated on March 25, 2020


Author

Aisha Rashid
Aisha Rashid

Pune, Maharashtra, India



About
Aspiring Writer Nature & Science Enthusiast more..

Writing