Chapter two

Chapter two

A Chapter by a.j.

After waiting in a few more lines to rides that lasted about 1/8 of the time of the line wait, we decided to go and eat. Bugs were flying around our greasy, not-so-cheap fast food and children were running around yelling, not the most relaxing setting.
"So how long have you two been friends?" Logan asked then took a huge bite of his cheeseburger.
"Well, we met in kindergarten when she gave me her crayons and the rest is history." What she so conveniently left out was that I did not in fact give her the crayons but she took them and never gave them back but she has turned out to be a great best friend so I look past our meeting.
"Oh and did Ari tell you what she is going to be majoring in?" Without giving them a chance to say anything, she continued. "She's going to be an English major, who knows maybe we are sitting with the next J.K. Rowling."
"I doubt I will get published and be as famous as her and I actually want to go into teaching English." I added.
"Don't be so modest, I'm sure you're a great writer." Logan said.
"Oh she is! You should read one of her short stories!" Kirsten encouraged.
"I'd love to." He smiled and I smirked and said, "maybe, we will see."
After lunch we went on the swing ride, not our best plan ever, then rode a few more rides before calling it a day.
As we walked out into the parking lot, Logan and I kept our distance behind the two love birds. There was an awkward silence for a while until Logan asked, "why didn't your boyfriend come today?"
I smiled, "I don't have one actually."
"Really? I was sure a pretty girl like you would be taken."
I saw him smile slightly so I dared myself to ask, "do you, have a girlfriend, I mean."
"Nope."
"Interesting."
Once we made it to Kirsten's car I went over to the passenger side to avoid the make out session. "Can I see your phone for a minute?" Logan asked. I handed it to him and after a lot of typing he handed it back to me. "There, now you have my number." He smiled.
"Yo, Logan, you ready to go?" Seth asked from the other side of the car.
"Yeah, I'll be waiting for that text." He said before they walked away.
Once we got in the car Kirsten grabbed my arm, "he gave you his number!" She freaked out, she was almost more excited than me, almost. The whole ride home she went on and on about how she was a genius matchmaker but I just tuned her out and stared out the window.
The next day I texted Logan a simple 'hey, it's Arielle' text after I had eaten breakfast. Now I just needed to wait for him to respond. After spending the afternoon working on a story I realized he still hadn't answered. So I helped make dinner for my parents, my sister Sadie and I and tried to keep my mind off of my phone.
After getting out of my shower, I went to my room to change when I saw my phone go off. I jumped onto my bed and grabbed my phone.
"Hey Arielle sorry for not answering sooner. My family had a reunion thing today and I wasn't really paying attention to my phone."
I answered, "it's okay! Hope it was fun at least!"
A minute later my phone buzzed, "it was! Are you busy tomorrow?"
I had a minor freak out moment then tried to calmly write, "I work tomorrow night but I am free during the afternoon :)"
"Good then we're going to hangout :) 11:30 work? Meet you at Highland park?"
I smiled, I couldn't believe it, Logan just kind of asked me out. "Sounds good! See you tomorrow then?" I quickly sent.
"Can't wait!"
Time always seems to move slower when I want it to go by fast and faster when I am trying to enjoy every minute. I was up and ready before 10:00 am and I just did little tasks to keep me busy and not thinking about how slow time was moving. Once it finally clicked to 11:20 on my alarm clock I ran out to my car. It only takes me five minutes to get to the park but I really couldn't wait any longer.
I pulled into a spot and saw him sitting on a bench a couple feet away. I got butterflies as I got out and started walking over, I wonder if this is how Kirsten feels when she sees Seth?
"Hey!" He smiled. "Come on, let's go for a walk." We walked along the stony path around the park until we came to the entrance to one of the trails. "Shall we?" He asked.
"Of course," I smiled.
As we walked along his hand was only inches from mine, he could've taken it at any moment, but he didn't. "So," I started, "are you going to tell me what you actually do? Because I'm pretty sure 'professional badass' is not a real job title."
He laughed and smiled at me. "I don't know, you might not like what I have to say."
"Why not?"
He sighed, "because many people don't like that it is what I made my career."
I stepped out in front of him and wouldn't let him pass. "Just tell me!"
He paused and let out a long breath. "Okay, I'm in the military. That's why I didn't want to tell you."
Military, I suppose I could've expected it but I don't see why he couldn't have told me earlier. "What branch?" I asked.
"Army."
"Okay."
"You're okay with it?"
"Yeah, I don't mind really. Why were you so worried?"
He smirked, "because I kind of like you."
I smiled, "well I'm okay with it."
"But I also leave at the end of August."
"Where are you going?" My heart dropped a little.
"I ship out to Korea."


© 2015 a.j.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello a.j.,

I thought I would just go ahead and read this chapter after I had finished the first one. I have to admit that this chapter is written considerably better in terms of spelling and tense. Well done. My other thoughts:

Since you are posting this story chapter by chapter (which is by all means totally fine), I have no idea what the scope and length is. The story is moving on pretty fast. If you are writing a 600page war epic, this is fine, even necessary. If you are writing a short story, it might be a bit of a problem, because eventually you will have to focus on a particular scene or event. Next to this, this chapter feels a bit unfinished. Is "...to Korea." the last thing there is to this scene? It could very well be the case, but I have the feeling that the main character might show some reaction to this line. And my comment from the first chapter still stands: the hook is missing. He turned out not to be a bad guy, so that option is gone. Now what is left for the reader to eagerly want to find out?

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Sesame

@followsesame on Twitter
www.themagiccave.com

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Added on July 14, 2015
Last Updated on July 14, 2015


Author

a.j.
a.j.

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by a.j.


Many the Miles Many the Miles

A Book by a.j.