Colored Bits of Confusion

Colored Bits of Confusion

A Story by A. J. Bartlett
"

A scene in my head that stemmed from a funny thought I had... that simply kept playing.

"

Sammy was in the hotel room's bathroom when the slight tapping started and stopped. He had been filling the sink with red, blue, and yellow M&M's - a tradition, if you will, that occurred every time he visited a hotel room. The other colors in the bag were thrown into the toilet, one by one; Sammy enjoyed the sound each individual "M" plopped into the water.

 

He peeked his head out of the bathroom doorway and stared at the room's main door. After a moment of staring, the slight tapping came back, repeating a seemingly sporadic pattern of short knocks and long knocks.

 

"Who is it?" Sammy asked in a hushed tone that mixed with exclamation.

 

"It's me," whispered a voice from the other side of the door.

 

Sammy walked out of the bathroom, tossing the eleventh empty M&M's bag into the small garbage bin. Its fellow crumpled, empty brothers rejected it, sending it bouncing to find a new home under the toilet. The maid would find it in the morning, along with the colorfully delicious sink.

 

Walking to the door, his oversized socks thumping out of time with his steps, he said again: "Who is it?"

 

"It's me!" the voice shouted in a whisper.

 

Sammy hesitated for a moment, listening to the sounds outside of the door. Someone that sounded like a kid ran by the door, whooping and hollering and quoting passages from a famous book. The ice machine down the hall whirred and buzzed and, when it thought nobody was truly listening, hiccupped. And right outside the door, Sammy could hear the fluttering of a light tongue as the person behind the door inhaled and exhaled.

 

From that, alone, he knew it was Lewie. It had to be.

 

As he opened the door, Sammy looked down at the floor - then at his oversized socks - and said, sheepishly, "Sorry, Lew."

 

The freakishly tall man behind the door had to duck down about two-and-a-half feet before he could make his way through the door. His leather jacket was too tight for him, and the wrists of the sleeves ended above his elbows. The rest of his attire looked normal.

 

"Geez, Sammy," Lewie said as he made his way into the room and plopped down on one of the freakishly small beds. "Why didn'ya open the door when I knocked?"

 

Sammy closed the door with his foot, and got his oversized sock caught between the door and the doorframe. He opened the door again, moved his sock away from the door, and closed the door with his hand.

 

As he turned to walk away, he felt a sharp pain in his fingers; when he turned back around to figure out the source of the pain, he found that his fingers had been caught in between the door and the doorframe. With his free hand, he opened the door and removed his injured hand - now throbbing from the pain. To make sure no other appendages got caught in the doorway, Sammy stood back and headbutted the door closed.

 

He lifted his head up... but stopped when he felt a slgiht tug on the top of his head.

 

Staring at the floor, he called to Lewie. "Uh... Lewie? Could you help me out, real quick?"

 

Lewie rose from the bed, but not completely because the ceiling was a foot-and-three-quarters shorter than he. He lumbered over to Sammy, opened the door, and helped remove Sammy's hair from between the door and the doorframe.

 

Once everything was accounted for, and not stuck between the door and the doorframe, Sammy said, "Thanks."

 

Lewie shrugged as he lowered himself back onto the bed. "No problem. Though, that's one evil door." He leaned to the side, giving the door an evil look, then leaned back to look at Sammy. "I don't think I'll ever figure out how hair two inches thick can get caught like that."

 

"Me neither," said Sammy.

 

They stood in silence for a moment, staring at each other. One contemplated the possibility of short hair getting caught in anything; one contemplated the intelligence level of a block of sharp cheddar.

 

"So yeah," Lewie said, interrupting Sammy's cheesy thinking. "Why didn'ya open the door when I knocked?"

 

Sammy walked back into the bathroom and called out: "I had to be sure it was you!"

 

"How did you not know it was me?" Lewie exclaimed. "Who else would it have been?"

 

"Don't know!" Sammy said, then stuck his head from around the corner. "I know a lot of me's."

 

Lewie thought about his answer for a few seconds, but shrugged when he found he couldn't argue with the logic. He lowered himself onto the bed, with his head touching the headboard and his sneakered feet touching the opposite wall. "So how many bags do you have left?"

 

"Seven!"

 

"And when you get done with that?" Lewie asked, feeling his eyes getting heavier.

 

There was a plop as a green M&M - Lewie guessed it was green - went for a swim. Lewie heard the soft crinkling of another emptied bag as Sammy answered, "Oh, I think I'll work on the dresser next."

 

Lewie yawned and shut his eyes. "Sounds good," he said. "Do you have what you need?"

 

Plop. "Yup!"

 

Before yawning one last time and falling to sleep, Lewie said, "Be sure to use the foil, this time!"

© 2008 A. J. Bartlett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

is this like a chapter.... then your gona write the next one??? Cause i was a little confused like if it was gona have a point.... cause it kinda doesnt you know what i mean??? Not saying all writing needs a point i mean its a unique idea but i think it would b cool if you made it into a longer story..... nice work though

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 9, 2008
Last Updated on March 11, 2008

Author

A. J. Bartlett
A. J. Bartlett

Raleigh, NC



About
So... Charlie wants to set up a website, yet not back it up? That's fine. After the terrible business of the Cafe Purge, I decided I no longer wished to post my stuff on this site. I mean, when you t.. more..

Writing
7:26 7:26

A Story by A. J. Bartlett