Dead Air

Dead Air

A Poem by Andrew John
"

Sonnet

"
The DJ shuts the fader by mistake, yet speaks his words in slick and practised tones, but doesn’t hear them coming through his ’phones, berates himself: That’s quite a gaffe to make. That’s five whole seconds, nothing but dead air. I’ve dropped a clanger. This is just not done! The programme’s live, it’s not a trial run. The punters might retune and go elsewhere. But more important is that what we give distracts, amuses, offers light, bright, trite. Dead air is not an option. Get it right! They need our pap: it tells them how to live. Although this little lapse is but a blink, it might just give the punters time to think.

© 2022 Andrew John


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I’m assuming this person is perturbed by the silence in the radio, or some other device. A dead sound, as you say. But silence is golden, they say, and that gives one time to think, ponder, dream the cosmos or whatever, the point being the quiet is good and constant chatter or music becomes chaotic to the brain which needs time to rest.
Nice write
Best
Betty

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Andrew John

1 Year Ago

Was in radio myself years ago, and, yes, I've done some dead sound now and then. Listener hears noth.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You’re welcome!



Reviews

I’m assuming this person is perturbed by the silence in the radio, or some other device. A dead sound, as you say. But silence is golden, they say, and that gives one time to think, ponder, dream the cosmos or whatever, the point being the quiet is good and constant chatter or music becomes chaotic to the brain which needs time to rest.
Nice write
Best
Betty

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Andrew John

1 Year Ago

Was in radio myself years ago, and, yes, I've done some dead sound now and then. Listener hears noth.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You’re welcome!
Hi there Andrew,
Lets see, first you mention a Sonnet here...but is it?
I thought, and please correct me if I am wrong, that a sonnet is 4 verses, the first 3 verses are 4 lines each and the 4th verse is 2 lines.... There are 10 syllables to each line and every other line rhymes..I think that is it... but I am guessing there are all sorts of sonnets that I am not aware of???
Anyway, I see you are from Wales and so there are words in your lines that I do not recognise...Is gaffe a mistake?
and what is clanger?
are punters...people..and what is pap?
Oh gosh.. but even without me knowing for sure I still did enjoy it...
Lisa, from California...now in Spain

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Andrew John

1 Year Ago

A Petrarchan sonnet has an octave and a sestet. This was not meant to be a Shakespearian one. As for.. read more
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

As I am new to sonnets I have not yet tried Petrachen yet... but I will..
Yes, I will need to.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 20, 2022
Last Updated on July 16, 2022
Tags: deejay, DJ, broadcasting, broadcast, fader, records, tones, headphones, programme, dead air

Author

Andrew John
Andrew John

Carmarthen, Wales, United Kingdom



About
Live in Carmarthen, Wales more..

Writing