Silence

Silence

A Story by akarusty
"

Remembering those we once chose to forget.

"

Silence

 

I lay on my side, still - gazing out across a lake on a clear summer afternoon. The sun beats hard against my skin, digging into my legs under tight blue jeans. A torturous pleasure.

My eyes follow the edge of the lake, around to the verge on the other side. Surrounding the lake the grass glistens fluorescent, charged by the midday heat. I am surrounded purely by nature, without another soul to witness. I am alone in my thoughts. A sense of enjoyment fills me.

A breeze wanders in; it feels gentle across my skin. I think I hear a word softly spoken through the wisps of air as they pass my ears. Your voice. You.

Has it been so long? How are you? I wonder for a brief moment and then the wind carries on.

I peel my left shoulder from the grass, feeling the relief as my muscles relax. Sat upright, I listen for your words. But they do not come. The wind is faintly a whisper - then no longer. Only silence in the void.

I smile. About time, I think.

The water of the lake begins to ripple and change shape, rising from its foundation. I sink back to the ground and close my eyes, grasping the earth with both hands as the water caresses over me.

© 2014 akarusty


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on July 16, 2014
Last Updated on July 16, 2014

Author

akarusty
akarusty

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom



About
Hello to anyone who sees this. I haven't been on this site for some time. I had friends on here I've not spoken to for nearly 7 years. Time really flies, especially when you're not writing. I'm .. more..

Writing
Sunshine Sunshine

A Poem by akarusty


Circles Circles

A Poem by akarusty


Cancer Man Cancer Man

A Poem by akarusty