Only Words

Only Words

A Poem by AK

 

A precious friend once told me that words are meaningless.

I knew at the time that this was only a temporary feeling so I didn't argue, but the alarm bells immediately sounded and my heart sank. I could feel the pain in those words. I could feel the hopelessness. I could feel the agony. And yet I knew from experience that the feeling would pass and tomorrow would be a better day.

Words can be meaningless, I agree. But in so many cases words are our only hope. We cling to words to give our lives meaning, to give us a reason to get up in the morning. Indeed, often words give us the strength to go on living.

I think of some of the words posted here at the Cafe.. so inspiring and revealing. I think of the words of my greatest source of inspiration, the Bible. Without those words I would have given up years ago.     
                    
Many here rely on words from other sources to inspire and strengthen them. There are so many words that we can hold precious. Words that guide our faith and give us hope of salvation and eternity. Words offered by dear ones that remind us that we are loved and that we matter. Words that can center us and help us to focus. Words that just make us feel unique and loved.
All these words are spoken or written with honesty and integrity.
These words are the ones that make our lives worth living. Without these words there is just no point. But with them, we can and do continue. We have a reason to get up each morning. We have a reason to not quit.

The difference is that these words are offered with sincerity. These words are truth and honesty. These words are from the heart. And we usually know the difference between words of truth and lies. Words of truth will stand the test of time. But we must have the patience and faith to give true words the opportunity they need to come to fruition.   

Words can be meaningless, yes. But words can also offer hope and peace. They can give us a dream and a goal. Words can heal and strengthen. Words can give us life.

The key is found in how the words are offered. Are they honest and true? If so you can count on them. You can put them in the bank. You can build your dream on them if you are patient and have just a little faith.

Only words. 

 

© 2009 AK


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ok I know its corny but I keep thinking of that song "Words." Its only words and words are all I have to take your heart away...." I've carried that line around in my head since I was very young - when I got panned for writing or having my nose in a book. But to me - words are part of my core identity.
What you've said here resonants - and gives me hope. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has read this and gotten a lift...
peace.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

oh my goodness i love this piece! it is so honest and so beautiful! and i couldnt agree more with what is written!

my favorite of yours that i have read!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well said sir.
I think the current state of affairs on this planet, at least in part, shows the power of the spoken word. Indeed, our very existence is what we say.
In the beginning, was the Word.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

...this reminds me of a story my great grandfather once told me when he was in the war...in the trenches he found a young Nazi soldier dying and he had two things clutched to his breast a gun and a postcard---obviously from someone he loved. As my great grandfather approached the far too young man dropped the gun and clutched the postcard to his chest with both hands------he found his comfort in those words.

It is true words can hold such power and yet can easily be dismissed depending on the sway of ones heart.
great write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ok I know its corny but I keep thinking of that song "Words." Its only words and words are all I have to take your heart away...." I've carried that line around in my head since I was very young - when I got panned for writing or having my nose in a book. But to me - words are part of my core identity.
What you've said here resonants - and gives me hope. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has read this and gotten a lift...
peace.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I think this was a wonderful tribute to what words can mean, and how they can make a difference in people's lives. It also made me think about some very important things that I haven't said, and that maybe it's time that I do. *smile* Thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Amazing, I agree with this completely.
For me words are sometimes my only hope.
Words are meaningless at times, but at the same time they have strength.
Fantastic write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I know some say words do mean nothing but you are write... words can have great meaning... emotional scars from verbal abuse sometimes last longer then physical, and yes simple words of encouragement and love from someone close to you can make a big difference... I have heard of cases where people wake out of comas from hearing words of a loving voice. Bravo for such a fine piece of inspiration and truth.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sometimes I tell people that I hear the voice behind the words. It's easy to tell whether someone actually means their words or not. I used to have a tagline that said "Real writers are magicians." It was part of something I wrote when I first came here. At some point, an idiot gave me a bunch of grief over it and I took it down.

Words have power. They can build. They can comfort. They can open worlds. If we let them and have a little faith. They can heal wounds. Wonderful write, Dale.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow...so many things I love in this piece.

Words can be meaningless, yes. But words can also offer hope and peace. They can give us a dream and a goal. Words can heal and strengthen. Words can give us life.

The key is found in how the words are offered. Are they honest and true? If so you can count on them. You can put them in the bank. You can build your dream on them if you are patient and have just a little faith.

Only words.

Where would we be without them? I too, feel for the one that said words were "meaningless." Maybe to that person they had heard one too many empty promises? If that were the case words MIGHT seem meaningless to them. Who knows?

Exhortation is some of the best there is, especially to the exhorter, which you obviously are!

What a joy to read your encouragements, Dale. Thank you, and no--I am the honored one! YOU are a blessing on the Cafe. :-)

Carole



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
9 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 19, 2009
Last Updated on February 20, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Note The Note

A Poem by Robert Luna