Just Do It

Just Do It

A Story by AK

 "In my humdrum life, the daily battle hasn't been good versus evil. It's hardly so epic. Most days, my real battle is doing good versus doing nothing."
~ Deirdre Sullivan (in This I Believe)

 
 
In today's society it seems it's just way too easy to do nothing. Don't expend any extra effort, don't get involved, don't give them anything they didn't pay for.
 
When did that start anyway? Where did that come from? That didn't start here in America did it? I hope not. It wasn't the America I knew when I was growing up... here in Alaska anyway. Of course Alaska has always been a little bit behind the rest of the nation in terms of styles and trends and fashion, etc. But we're not that far behind.
 
I still like to do some sort of good if I can. Go the extra mile... throw in a little something above and beyond the bare minimum... leave them wanting more... somehow show I still care about others... try to make a difference.
 
I know I'm not the exception, there is nothing special about me. You folks all feel the same. The problem is that the quiet majority never gets any press. You only hear about the people who walk away from the person calling out for help or drive by the stranded elderly couple whose car has overheated in the middle of nowhere. It's those folks we hear about more and more, instantaneously, real-time with cell phone video at the speed of the internet.
 
We see and hear so much of it that we start to think it's normal. But it is not normal. Human compassion and genuine care for others is normal. The desire to help and please others is normal.
 
Some days it can indeed be a battle to do good rather than just sit and do nothing. But it is a battle worth fighting. It is the good fight for decency and morality. It's the good fight that we ultimately will win if we don't just give up.
 
Three years ago a young boy and his grand-parents froze to death on a remote section of hiway near Fairbanks, Alaska in the dead of winter. They had set out in their car to visit relatives during a brutal cold spell in temperatures near -40 F. When they didn't show up at their destination at the appointed time the State Troopers were alerted but the officer in charge decided to wait 24 hours before launching a search. He assumed they had taken a detour. As it turned out, their car had broken down and they had simply frozen to death. Had a search been launched right away they would have been rescued. The trooper's decision to do nothing cost three people their lives. He was dismissed.
 
Again, this battle is "hardly so epic" but each of us can indeed make a difference everyday. A kind word, an opened door, a smile, a friendly hello, a simple thank you. It's not that hard if we just don't give in to the temptation to do nothing.

 

© 2009 AK


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm sorry I missed this. A local news story hear recently echoes your own, police investigate a report of a missing woman. Find her 'dead' behind her apartment, wait for hours to give the coroner authorization to process the scene. He found her alive. And if she had been treated earlier might still be alive.

I stop to help whenever I can. Even though friends rebuke me that I may be putting myself in jeopardy. When that small voice speaks, I follow.

My biggest regret is walking past a man in a Las Vegas airport whose eyes still haunt me. A word or two might have meant all the difference in a world suddenly filled with darkness. But I walked past because I didn't know how to approach a stranger.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Although I wholeheartedly agree with you: life does sweep people into a vortex of rush and rush, never mind anyone else .. but, but, there are so many folk willing to help their neighbours AND, maybe more importantly, strangers. Unfortunately, as you say, the goodies don't get publicity, they don't make headline news.

Tho' we live on a beautiful planet, we live in hard times, we just have to stretch that bit further to do the best we can for our world and its people.. even a smile or wave can help .. then, there's that courage taken to step towards someone. I guess the fear of being hurt physically or, more simply but as painfully, being rebuffed always lingers.

The past was sometimes kinder than the present is .. people like you make a difference. Thanks for bringing me into your thoughts for just a couple of minutes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm sorry I missed this. A local news story hear recently echoes your own, police investigate a report of a missing woman. Find her 'dead' behind her apartment, wait for hours to give the coroner authorization to process the scene. He found her alive. And if she had been treated earlier might still be alive.

I stop to help whenever I can. Even though friends rebuke me that I may be putting myself in jeopardy. When that small voice speaks, I follow.

My biggest regret is walking past a man in a Las Vegas airport whose eyes still haunt me. A word or two might have meant all the difference in a world suddenly filled with darkness. But I walked past because I didn't know how to approach a stranger.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This a really good, humble reminder that we all need. Too often fear and more dangerous, complacency can take the place of human decency. I commend your effort at a rallying cry to return to that which makes us great, makes us human, our compassion for our fellow travelers. A hearty amen! Thanks so much for this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story of the three people who froze to death because of the inaction of the State Troopers draws such focus to your message. But you're right too, while our inactivity is never likely to have such devestating effects they can still have effects. Just saying hello and doing our best can make a difference and so it's imperative that we do try. A great piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

How true this is, Dale! The example you used about the people that were going to visit relatives that froze to death because they didn't launch a search for them right away, is classic of American society. The temptation to procrastinate is great at times.

I love this:

Again, this battle is "hardly so epic" but each of us can indeed make a difference everyday. A kind word, an opened door, a smile, a friendly hello, a simple thank you. It's not that hard if we just don't give in to the temptation to do nothing.

We get on our fast tracks and tend to forget about doing good for others. When we slow down, we have many opportunities.

Thanks for the reminder...and like you and Nike say: JUST DO IT!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this. Such a great reminder!

Unfortunately - maybe its becuz I live in the crush of southern California - I think apathy is the norm. More and more I see it. Kindness really stands out against this back drop. I think its becuz when you go the "extra mile" more often then not, nowadays, you'll be abused - people will keep pushing for more without even a thank you. "Give them an inch and they take a mile." So people have stopped doing good becuz they are weary of this attitude. "Because iniquity shall abound the love of many will grow cold."

But, you're right, being kind and thoughtful is the greatest of blessings.....and your title says it all!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

428 Views
6 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 20, 2009
Last Updated on March 2, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK