Second Opinion

Second Opinion

A Story by AK

 

Two weeks ago I knelt next to my mother-in-law’s hospital bed holding her hand after the local hospital in our small town had her medivac’d to the regional hospital in Anchorage.
We talked about all the years we’ve spent together and the experiences we’ve shared. Family stuff, church stuff (she’s been my Pastor all my adult life), funny stuff, sad stuff. We essentially were saying goodbye.
The doctor who specialized in her condition had just told us moments before that there was nothing that could be done to help. She was terminal and it was only a matter of time… possibly only days or weeks.
 
We’ve been here before though, several times. An auto accident many years ago… cancer… vascular complications… heart problems… etc. But we’ve always sought God and trusted in Him that He wouldn’t take her just yet. He wouldn’t deprive us of her wisdom and faith and strength and care for us. She was the shepherd after all. What would become of us if He took her home? Nope, He just couldn’t do that… we were convinced.  
But still we have always diligently fasted and prayed in these times of trouble. Often the church will organize into 24-hour prayer chains and round-the-clock fasting on her behalf. We want Him to know we’re serious. And He has always answered us. He has always intervened. Even to the extent that the surgeons who were attempting to remove tumors from her spine and pancreas in an effort to give her a little more time a few years ago could not find the tumors once they opened her up. They had the MRIs and radiographs showing the growths but nothing was there. Each doctor and nurse who worked at the hospital visited her as she recovered over the next few days. They had all heard about her case, the little church who loved her, and her God.
 
But this time (two weeks ago) was different. This time there was no question, no doubt, no treatment or procedure her doctor said. This time we knew what would kill her and, to a certain degree, when. This time we all felt that God had waited long enough and He wanted her home... now.
So we each began to prepare ourselves. We each started to imagine our lives without her and mentally prepared a short list of things we wanted to tell her over the next few days. Arrangements needed to be made and it would be up to us, her immediate family. We needed to be strong for her and for the church. We didn’t tell the church because Mom wanted to do that herself as soon as we could get her home.
They only knew that she needed them so they had already begun the prayer and fasting. They were doing what they knew God has always honored.
 
We met with the “Hospitalist” and the Hospice Care Coordinator and they wrote prescriptions for the local hospice folks back home. Mom wanted to die in her own bed and the doctor said that wouldn’t be a problem. She (the doctor) assured Mom that she would be “kept comfortable”.
 
We took Mom home but her conditioned worsened and she wasn’t able to go to church on Resurrection Sunday as she had hoped. Still, she wanted to tell the church herself so we didn’t share any details with all of our good friends, our faithful brothers and sisters. That was pretty tough because they were practically begging to know. But they sensed it wasn’t good news.
 
Last weekend Mom's condition deteriorated again and she was once more medivac’d to Anchorage. The same doctor was assigned to her case and her opinion had not changed. This was simply the next step toward the end the doctor said. Another test was ordered though and a different specialist reviewed the results this time. When the new specialist met with Mom and other family members he explained that the condition was manageable and that Mom would likely be fine in time. My wife questioned him about that in light of the first doctor’s grave opinion. He was aghast that we had been told Mom was dying. He explained exactly what was happening and why it was only a temporary problem. He simply could not believe that we had been told to prepare for the worst. While her condition was serious right now, he felt she would absolutely recover and be fine. We were all stunned. How could one doctor be absolutely convinced of one scenario and only a week later another doctor offer an opposite prognosis?
 
As other doctors got involved and offered opinions it became evident that the first specialist’s diagnosis was simply wrong. Mom was not dying and her condition had worsened only because she had not been provided the simple treatment that was typical for her condition. Mom was discharged that afternoon.
 
And so…
Had God used that week to correct Mom’s condition as an answer to the prayer and fasting of the faithful folks back home? Or had the first doctor just been completely off base and He had simply provided a new doctor who had a clue as to what was really going on with Mom? Either way it was an answer to prayer and fasting.
 
Perhaps it was a combination of both. Maybe it was meant to be a wakeup call for the doctor and a reminder for us to never quit, never give up, never throw in the towel.
 
I hope this will encourage you to do two things;
 
#1 Never stop praying as long as hope is alive.
 
#2 Always get a second opinion.

© 2009 AK


Author's Note

AK
Our altar is usually lined with folks seeking God in prayer. I just happened to have my camera handy late one Sunday evening after service when Mom had the altar all to herself. What an amazing photo...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
I am stunned and nearly without words. I have no doubt the first doctor was spot on. And I've no doubt that the second doctor saw nothing of what the first did because it was gone. Again. And this gives me chills from toes to scalp. This woman is, without doubt, God's miracle again and again. What is it about that little church, anyway?

Thank you for sharing this incredible, miraculous event. I am still dumbfounded and must think about this. Fine, inspired writing, as always.
j

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is full of knowledge, insight and hope
i am thankful for your sharing
hope is not giving up and sticking it through even when evidence points to despair


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, I am not what would be considered a religious man, largely due to bloodshed over differing steeples. I am a spiritual person, and know well the benefit of prayer and 2nd opinions.
Done, and done.
Thanx for posting, you seem like a really nice person and concerned citizen.
With the high price of selfishness and arrogance being evident, I hope many are infected with your attitude.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

what a great read a happy ending... i don't know what God had going there.. i think it to remind us again how important each day is and not to be spent uselessly and with no regard for others feelings.
i am SO happy your mom is better and able to go to church .. also, yes, a second opinion is a good idea!
chloe
i do believe strongly in the power of prayer!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful story of the power of prayer. It's awesome that you have such a close relationship with her.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amen to this. AMEN. You mentioned in your review on my page the term praying in the spirit or praying in tongues....yes I am familiar with this. My fam and I go to a nondenominational church (which I think you may know) that believes in the move of the Holy Spirit. Coming from a Lutheran background - it was REAL AWKWARD at first - but now - yes - very powerful. Very powerful. And Biblically sound.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Always get a second opinion. You always give such sage advice. May your time with mom be long and well-spent. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fantastic story!! I love stories like these.......seeing answers to prayer........I love the small answers and the big answers....I love em all!! Thanks for sharing your faith with us...

And your two pieces of advice are excellent!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMGS, Dale! There is so-so much in this write that touched my heart. Let me share a little of it-and it might seem sort of random...What a COMPLETE blessing to have a Mother-in-law like yours! So often, that is not the case. I didn't realize that the Pastor of your church was your mother-in-law! How neat is that?

I too, am an avid faster and I have seen God move in ways that completely blew me away as a result. Prayer changes things, but fasting just seems to give the extra umph that we need to have break through if done for the right reasons. I also know people that pray and fast for things that are OUT of God's will which are nothing more than "Soulish Prayers" or glorified witchcraft. I know you guys don't, but some do...

You are a natural born exhorter. The gift of exhortation is all over you....My favorite part: " Maybe it was meant to be a wakeup call for the doctor and a reminder for us to never quit, never give up, never throw in the towel." Dynamic encouragement!!!

You have a way my friend of expressing yourself that is impeccable. I enjoyed this piece no end. I am proud to call you my friend. I have always been drawn to people that have depth, and Dale-YOU are a person of depth. There's no pretense with you. You are who you are and people feel that! Don't ever change!

Love you Bro (Brother in the Lord!) Carole




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
I am stunned and nearly without words. I have no doubt the first doctor was spot on. And I've no doubt that the second doctor saw nothing of what the first did because it was gone. Again. And this gives me chills from toes to scalp. This woman is, without doubt, God's miracle again and again. What is it about that little church, anyway?

Thank you for sharing this incredible, miraculous event. I am still dumbfounded and must think about this. Fine, inspired writing, as always.
j

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so powerful, what a twist at the end and what a journey you must have been through. The faith in this piece is incredible. The language so direct and precise. I adore it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

675 Views
10 Reviews
Added on April 22, 2009
Last Updated on April 26, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK