Her Music Braved The Darkness

Her Music Braved The Darkness

A Poem by AK
"

For a remarkable young lady who survived Sarajevo.

"

 

Winter crept throughout the valley
taunting those who would not flee
Each new day a solemn funeral
another friend for whom to grieve
Little food, no heat, no windows
only the will to stay, to fight
But for those held hostage in the city
from the darkness, music, every night
  
The old piano, an ancient treasure
oh the stories it could tell
It came from a time long past away
but those years were weathered well
At keyboard’s edge, a gifted girl
from deep within the music played
As night crept upon the city
the young girl‘s hands could not be stayed
 
So she sat and played for hours
as the shells fell all around
She didn’t notice the explosions
that shook the very ground
She just played that old piano
as she awaited her time to die
She gave hope to all the people
her gift of music, every night
 
Over time the shells stopped falling
her sweet music faded away
The survivors rebuilt their city
and it thrives again today
But many still remember
the music in the night
And the girl? Oh she still plays, yes…
but to a different sort of fight.

© 2009 AK


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
One of the things that makes your work especially gratifying to read is that it is so often inspired by the heart and doings of others and expressed in the way it effects yours. This young lady's story is absolutely beyond courageous, and your sharing it in your beautiful verse is positively inspiring.

Again, I am in awe of where your heart takes you.
;-) ~j

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

amen. this one illicited tears as I read it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I absolutely adored it. What an expression! the tragics nailed.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this it has a wonderful rythm to it and the story is amazing. It is always inspiring to hear of stories of courageousness in crisis. Sometimes I think we in America take too much for granted and don't realize how much the little things can mean, how a simple song can bring normalcy to an otherwise diasterous situation. This piece is a wonderful reminder of everything we have been blessed with~ thank you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Many thanks to Emily for sending this my way -- this is exquisite. And haunting, as someone else said. It's beautifully crafted, as lyrical as I imagine the music must've been. Her story and the way you've rendered it remind me of the stories that came out of the concentration camps of WWII and how music kept so many people alive, at least in spirit.

I like not knowing what her new fight is. I don't need to know that at this point, although I can imagine various possibilities. Still, I imagine her determination to survive will carry the day and that she will, somehow, provide beauty to others yet again.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem speaks to me. I am here in Baghdad. Gun fire, mortars, and explosion are part of the everyday life. But I see people everyday persevering in their quest for normalcy; they go out to work everyday risking to be kidnapped; they go shopping for necessities despite the fact that their markets have been blown out by VBIEDs and suicide bombers; they visit friends in neighborhood garroted by a marauding divisive insurgency that enforces sectarianism. Students go to schools; musicians play music; poets are back to the famous Al-Mutanabi street. The resolve of love and beauty in the face of hate and horror is riveting. I am touched. Thanks Emily Burns for sending me here.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very touching and heartfelf piece. It is a beautifullywritten piece and I am so glad that Emily sent it my way....Truly touching!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


The piano is one of my favorite instruments so this hooked me straight away...this young girl's passions were written so eloquently and the ending stanza proves that there are still things left in the world needing more triumph and music...I am glad to have come across this :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

... this is an awesome piece with historical sagacity and a sweetly human perspective ... yet by the light therein showing the darknesses about that humankind lives in poverties of blame where survival and fighting are the same ... the limericks were set as jewels in a crown and the imagery played like music .... wondrous write, Ak

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hauntingly sad, hauntingly beautiful work. The fact the girl is an unnamed victom of the war hit me with extra force as she plays and waits to die. The poem itself is well written, but the story was one step beyond that. It really reaches out and touches your heart with bravery and innocence hand in hand. I don't know what her new fight is, but I pictured her playing for crowds and her, not as innocent, safer but with a more complex life so that existance in the ordinary world becomes her new fight, maybe a harder fight when compared. I like the way you leave it up to the reader to imagine what of endless possibilities "a different sort of fight" could be.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

845 Views
38 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on February 10, 2008
Last Updated on January 21, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Clean Soul Clean Soul

A Poem by Bubo


Fusing of Souls Fusing of Souls

A Poem by Bubo