The curious incident of the cows and the sheep

The curious incident of the cows and the sheep

A Story by alanwgraham
"

An ordinary day becomes extraordinary.

"

The curious incident of the cows and the sheep


It seemed to be just another ordinary day but a seemingly random observation turned out to have ‘ram’ifications that would ‘steer’ my world view in a radical new direction.


Before giving you time to think that I’ve gone stark raving bonkers I’ll tell you straight out what I saw. We were driving a short distance through the countryside to visit our son and family. I happened to look at the grassy field on my right and noticed a number of cows and sheep, around twenty of each. What caught my attention was that the cows were all standing in a group facing the same way while the sheep were in another group all lying down. In the next field I was rather surprised to see more cattle and sheep but this time the sheep were all standing facing the same way with the cattle lying down.


Further along the road I recounted this apparently bizarre fact to my wife.

‘Don’t be ridiculous Alan! Is this another of your weird stories?’

‘No, no, Mary. I can prove it.’

I turned the car and in a minute we had passed the fields. Thankfully the cows and sheep were kind enough to support what I thought I’d seen.

‘An apology please darling!’ Mary just laughed.

‘I must admit that’s a bit weird but there must be some explanation.’

 

So, there it is!  You probably thought that I’d imagined it (as I had half thought myself) but the observation was checked and verified.  We continued on to our son’s and in the pleasure of playing with our toddler grandson Leo I completely forgot about it.


A few weeks later I was watching the ‘Shaun the Sheep’ movie (SUPERB!) with little Leo and the cow/sheep scenario came back to me. There must be a simple explanation I thought and I started gnawing away at the conundrum. With my scientific training I knew I would have to use the the scientific method of observation leading to a hypothesis and theory proved by experiment.


I soon realised that I would have to get out into the world of sheep and cows to find out what was actually going on. ‘Some field work!’ I laughed to myself.

So I purchased a pair of wellies (rubber boots) and sallied forth.

‘Where on earth are you off to?’ Mary spotted me skulking out of the door.

‘Don’t even ask,’ I grimaced, ‘I’ll be back by sundown.’

Luckily I didn't have time to see that - 'oh God, not again' - look on Mary's face.


Intensive conversation with my best pal google had revealed several lines of possible enquiry but the conclusions were a bit ‘woolly.’ A commonly held belief was that the animals all faced downwind. Some thought there was a lead animal that the others followed. Others held that they had some kind of magnetic sense and they faced North-South - but would Muslim cows face Mecca? The explanation that I favoured myself was that sheep/cows are prey animals and by facing downwind they can see the predator ahead and smell it coming from behind.


My field work had its ups and downs. On the first day I had to make a visit to the doc’ for a tetanus injection after a bad experience on a barbed wire fence. The embarrassing bit was that two old ladies passing by had to extricate me! The next day I encountered another damn fence with no warning signs that it was electrified - my screams scared the animals away! The following day I was mortified to be reported by some children for ‘behaving suspiciously around sheep.’ Explaining my motives and movements to a (lady) police constable I felt humiliated as she regarded me with a sceptical look - and I stank of sheep’s piss!


Then I remember the bizarre story of a man that had been researching the behaviour of alpine goats and had decided to live with them even to the extent of bounding about on all fours and eating grass. I decided to give it a try and bought an uncured sheepskin. Apart from the smell I felt I was getting into the mind-set of my woolly companions and thought I was on the brink of eureka when a ram tried to mate with me - vigorously! My attempts at baa baa’s had obviously given him the come-on.


Chastened, I decided to take a more observational approach and cycled from field to field observing the flocks and herds from afar. I made copious measurements of wind direction, the alignment of flocks with my compass, the position of the sun, the direction of the slope and finally took photographs of the cows and sheep. Of course what I really needed were fields with mixed cattle and sheep and these were few and far between.


 I slept on it. Nothing materialised but the next night I woke up with an idea - it was obvious. I would have to prove my theory by doing a controlled experiment. Call me mad but that very same day I approached a local farmer and attempted to hire two fields and around a score each of cows and sheep.

He said, ‘you must be ‘baa baa barking mad!’ and sent me packing with his guffaws ringing in my ears. The second farmer chased me with a shotgun??? Shouts of, ‘I know your kind!’ rang in my ears.

The third farmer agreed to a suitable and outrageous price.


The next day, the two fields were set up, each with a mixed cohort of cows and sheep. The full panoply of remote recording equipment was discretely positioned along with video cameras. My excitement could hardly be contained but four days later my four legged friends had shown nothing out of the ordinary. At times they either stood together or lay down together but nothing approached what I had seen. There was no discernible pattern in their behaviour.


I guess that you are beginning to wonder where this tale is going. Had I witnessed a truly unique occurrence?  

The whole thing was driving me nuts so I thought I’d take the evening off and chill out watching TV.


When the news came on, the first item was about the long running Brexit issue. Opinions had become entrenched. All rational thought seemed to have stopped as the debate dragged on. I watched footage of a ‘remain’ march to a public park. In one section I could see groups of men standing facing the stage with the women sitting on the grass drinking Bucks Fizz. Nearby the women were standing holding placards and cheering. The men there all lay on the grass asleep.


I’d seen the same sort of news items interminably over the past three years and started to doze off. Then a big light bulb flashed on in my head and I sat bolt upright. Instead of seeing men and women gathered at the park I saw my sheep and cows. I shouted to Mary, ‘I’ve got it! I’ve got it!’


The next morning Mary appeared at the door with a stranger. ‘Who’s this Mary?’ I asked.’

 ‘Just relax Alan. This is Doctor Lamb. We have been a bit worried about how you have been behaving.’

© 2019 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I feel as though I've just seen a long-lost Monty Python skit! Full of laughs, this is. My old sailor's mind was obliged to conjure all manner of lewd comparisons, like the story of the remote sheep ranch where the hands were warned not to get too friendly with a particular sheep, it being the sheriff's girlfriend. On a serious note, I've also wondered about livestock in fields and why some face this way or that, stand or lie down. A great little piece of writing, Alan!

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Samuel. What nonsense there is in my head! It's reassuring to find others on a similar wavele.. read more



Reviews

I do hope your room is comfortably equipped with that nice, bouncy wallpaper Alan, and the straps to your new wraparound jacket aren't chafing too much.
Thoroughly enjoyed your tale of walking breakfast, but did it ever occur to you that the answer may just be so simple that even mere me figuredit out? Ot was bath-time and you always wash woolens seperately 😀

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this nonsense Lorry. It is slightly worrying that my trick cyclist might see this.. read more
HEY EVERYONE! THIS IS A FUN MUST-READ STORY (not too long) . . . This is unfairly hilarious! My envy level is 100+ . . . you are so imaginative in your hilarious ways. I swear, this sounds like it's really YOU even tho you may not have engaged in this exact bit of scientific shenanigans. Nobody could depict a total science nerd getting his rocks off this overzealously, unless that science nerd was living in his heart, like I believe to be the haps in your chest cavity. The thing that makes your writing so addictive & exciting to read is becuz your main character (an essence of YOU, I'm sure) always goes from thing to outrageous thing with a sense of manic zeal which totally lights up your story by megawatts. This is one of your record best stories. This is a great length, too. A little shorter than your usual, so more low-attention-span readers could really enjoy this. You are a frickin' kick in the butt. (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

What a great and encouraging review Margie. Thanks once again. It's a pity that more on WC will not .. read more
barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I remember your manic zeal from 3 years ago (when I first came to the cafe) & it could be a little b.. read more
You are very very funny, this has cracked up my ribs

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks for your nice comment but I'm worried about your ribs! I swear I have plenty of stories to ma.. read more
Cassie

4 Years Ago

hahaha...plenty of stories, I bet my ribs will double crack
I think we should have included our bovine and bovidae friends in the referendum vote. I mean, it would have been only fair, given it will be they who have tariffs slapped on them if/when we finally depart the EU.

Meantime, having started to give up the hope that Boris, (nine lives,) Johnson will self destruct, along, I trust with Dominic Cummings, and that Jeremy Corbin will continue to resolutely refuse to sod off to his allotment, (ban the bomb marches now being somewhat passe,) I shall vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party, this time around.

A fun and witty read.

T

Posted 4 Years Ago


Not so different our species then, as we might wish or imagine.

A wonderful and witty write alan, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Very kind of you Beccy. The cows and sheep thing was something I had noticed and felt there was some.. read more
LOL I can see no fault in this characters... character, three words I hate to say... I don't know! the lengths i will go to to figure something "completely useless" out, never ceases to amaze:) It would not surprise me to find out that hidden in those seemingly, (well probably) not very intelligent fuzzy little sheep the secret of life or the theory of everything it.... could... happen? Love this story my mind did wander a bit on the bestiality exploits of the poor scientist I do hope he is okay

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Robert. Just realised I posted my thanks for your review to myself - my mind has got a bit wo.. read more

Baaah humbug, am not surprised you made me chuckle my friend, you often do.... You have such a great sense of timing and pace and I am invariably taken in hook line and sinker.... Oh' and apart from being a fan, I take my hat off to you again.... Both stay.. and go well if ya know what I mean ewe rascal....

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Ta Neville. Nothing too profound here. Just some fun but maybe the bit with the doctor is too close .. read more
Neville

4 Years Ago

Could be worse here.. I guess .. enjoy every second of what ya got left and safe journey home...
The wit and humour here are palpable...I felt that I was watching one of those wonderfully eccentric comedies the English are so fond of, as well as I, I might add.
That being said, This was so Baa-d it was Moo-ving. ;>}

More of this thinking is what the world needs...Brexit be damned...along with all the muddle headed politicians who think they make difference.

A brilliantly funny write, my friend.

P.S. that photo is downright sinister...what are they up to?


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Ted. MY observation of the sheep and cows was true but the story took a while to appear. I'.. read more
I feel as though I've just seen a long-lost Monty Python skit! Full of laughs, this is. My old sailor's mind was obliged to conjure all manner of lewd comparisons, like the story of the remote sheep ranch where the hands were warned not to get too friendly with a particular sheep, it being the sheriff's girlfriend. On a serious note, I've also wondered about livestock in fields and why some face this way or that, stand or lie down. A great little piece of writing, Alan!

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Samuel. What nonsense there is in my head! It's reassuring to find others on a similar wavele.. read more
I did observe this weird thing with the cows and sheep in the two fields and felt it was worth mentioning. Had no idea where it was going till I arrived.
Thanks for reading and your kind review.
Cheers.
Alan

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 18, 2019
Last Updated on December 30, 2019

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


DEJA VU DEJA VU

A Story by alanwgraham