~ Chapter 1 ~

~ Chapter 1 ~

A Chapter by Alekaneka

There is something unnerving about the way the daughter stands beside her date as her parents first meet him. She acts shy and is a little scared. She's worried that he might slip up and her father will hate him, or that he's not polite enough to please her mother. She wants him to make a good impression but not appear stuck up. She fiddles with her ring, and shifts her weight from one leg to another. Her eyes dart around as if looking for a rodent scampering around. She squeezes her eyes shut and breathes in deeply, feeling the flow of cool air rush through her nose and into her body. Opening her eyes slowly, she smiles nervously and her date holds her hand.
I am no different.

 

There is something almost daring about the way a father interviews his daughter's date. Like he's staring the boy down, waiting for him to stumble or reply with the wrong phrase, so the father can jump down his throat, claiming the boy's no good for his daughter. He asks questions no off-the-street guy would do, and delves straight into the boy's personal and family life. He judges everything from the boy's haircut to the shirt he's wearing, whether it's collared and respectable or one of those loose singlets with the massive armholes, the ones the skaters wear. He even judges the boy's handshake: weak and he's no good, won't be able to protect his beloved daughter, strong and he will protect her, or would strong mean he might try something and have more of a chance of getting away with it?
My father is no different.

 

There is something embarrassing about the way a mother introduces herself to her daughter's date. Her smile is almost too big for her face, looks as though it will jump off any second like the way a suction cup pops off a dry hand on a summer day. She fiddles with her skirt making sure the pleats are even and flicks her head back and forth from her husband and the boy, hanging off every word. Then, she says something kind but it has a sarcastic ring to it to her daughter and squeezes her so tight that the date may need to resuscitate her, before grabbing onto her husband's arm and prancing away. The whole time she is questioning her precious daughter's happiness and most importantly, her safety.
My mother is no different.

 

But it doesn't seem this way when I first take Chris home to meet my parents. It seems laid back and relaxed, it doesn't feel like there is any pressure in the air whatsoever, one of us might just float away, any second. And I wouldn't even care.

 

Well, I mean; it's Chris. The class-clown with the sparkling blue eyes. A flirt with all the girls and a gentleman to all their mothers'. A jokester with their fathers' and good role model for the little bothers'. And any girl would be over the moon to be invited on a date with Chris Suttons. Any girl but me.

It wasn't always like this, a year ago, even a week ago I was a hopeless case around him, and all the guys knew about it, probably why he asked me out. But now. It's different. Today , I saw a bright light shine into my life. It seemed to sort of illuminate the figure of the boy standing opposite me in the storeroom. It told me, "that's the guy you have to be with, no matter what". And now all the rest is irrelevant.

Except, that here, standing next to me, as I daydream about another boy, stands the one guy in the whole school that any girl would like to call her's.

 

And for that reason, and that reason alone, the date must go on. And without further ado, I grab my purse, turn to face my mother and father, and bid them farewell. I am determined to have a good night, even with the wrong boy.

 

There is a dampness in the air. And as we step out onto the veranda of a humid evening, I can almost make out tiny raindrops plummeting from the heavens but evaporating before hitting the ground. Of course, I ponder the possibility of this hypothesis, rather than enjoy the pure beauty of nature. But I guess that's just who I am, ignore simplicity, instead go for the harder option.

 

Chris doesn't seem to notice the natural phenomenon, he takes my hand and leads me down the stairway before opening the passenger door to his 1984 toyota. Though the smudged windscreen I can see my parents step out onto the balcony as we did seconds before. They hesitate for a moment before phony grins are plastered on their mouths' and  my mother's hand begins to wave. I can see a melancholy sea wash over her eyes.

 

The sticky vinyl seats are uncomfortable, and squeak every time I reposition myself to regain comfort. I try to distract myself with something, but the speed we're driving at sends shiver's down my spine. I turn to face my date, maybe I can train myself to like him again, after spending a little time with him my previous feelings might come rushing back. After all, I doubt I'll ever see him again anyway, probably a one off shift.

 

Chris's left hand jerks the gear stick, his right steers the car swiftly along the suburban roads, swerving between other vehicles, one would have thought we were riding a motorbike. I wonder how on earth did Chris get past my parents "safety radar" they should have seen he was dangerous and forbade us from our date. That would have made things easier, I wouldn't be stuck next to the most beautiful boy in the class, whom I absolutely have no feelings for whilst thinking about the most beautiful boy in the world, practically asking for an early death.

 

Other than the sounds of neighbouring cars honking, our drive is relatively silent, one I would not expect from such a popular boy. Never the less, I am more than relieved to have arrived at last and to taste some fresh air once more.



© 2012 Alekaneka


Author's Note

Alekaneka
Let me know of any mistakes! And how you think the storyline is going, I love criticism and feedback! (It was only a rough draft)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

:P No criticism here ally :) Well done!!! So does chris look like anyone we know?? I keep thinking blake but thats just me (he's blond and a class clown) :P

Posted 11 Years Ago


Awww... you ended it too soon.... :(

I love this!!! :D

So many exciting things to be revealed; so much tension and suspense in the air!

For a rough draft this is great and I would love to see where you go with this. ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 23, 2012
Last Updated on December 23, 2012


Author

Alekaneka
Alekaneka

Sydney, Australia



About
Hey there, I'm Alexandra, I'm 16 years old from Australia. I am a hopeless romantic, and adore romance stories, but can never seem to find the right ending for my own. I love reading and writing, alth.. more..

Writing
Auschwitz Auschwitz

A Story by Alekaneka


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Alekaneka


Love Love

A Chapter by Alekaneka



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Round and Round Round and Round

A Poem by Anna


When She's Home When She's Home

A Story by Anna