Through Solaris

Through Solaris

A Story by Exa Lectric

The sky is dark with only a hint of light from the distant stars as it has always been. Perched atop the peak of the highest mountain in sight, I look over the lands. Tribes of natives dot the landscape; surrounded by their bloody fire-scorched battle fields. Animals roam free; able to wander only sharing the fear of the circles of life surrounding them. Smoke billows from the forests and villages -- landmarks of ravage disputes.

            Our races are destroying each other. Each dwindling until they disappear. Still we fight. Soon all that will be left of us is a memory; a mark in the dirt.

            We continue to turn against each other with unhelping eyes. The battles rage on in the blazing heat of fire. More and more realize each moment that our fates are all the same if we continue the way we are. Weapons lower as rain begins to fall. Drop by drop, flames go out and leave jagged scars in their place.

            We are united. We come from every place the stars know, with morbid expressions and trickling tears on our faces. The memory of those we have lost is fresh in each of our minds, but together at last, grudges drop, feuds end, hate disappears and we are left with only the gripping pain of despair. Unsure how to proceed, we simply look at each other with innocent faces and experienced eyes; waiting for the decision to be made for us.

            A new light shines over, bathing everything in its radiance. We rebuild the world, bandaging the scars and live as a single family that spreads over miles and miles. The past is finally behind us and we settle into a new future.

            However, arguments start, bringing the memories of discontent to the surface once again. Fear and anger spiral around me. Fights break out once again. With weapons drawn, quarrels grow worse, and the land soaks up more blood. The mantra “We are who we are, no matter how hard we try to be something else” seems to be written in the sky. Progress is washed out in seconds as a huge apocalyptic fire erupts covering the entire planet.

            Chaos is everywhere as it has always been. Now it is every man for himself and each of us must find a way to survive on our own as the Sun takes over; the true Supreme Ruler. Scars rip open devouring everyone who falls victim to them. Fewer and fewer remain. Silently watching from above, I see my tribes fall apart, but I am unable to close my eyes to the madness. Death is everywhere and I am the only inhabitant who remains. Everything else has been pulled into the molten center of the Sun, leaving the surface with only deep reds, violent oranges, and brilliant yellows.

            I close my eyes but I can still see it all. I pour my life out in my tears as I jump into the madness below. The flames eagerly stretch their tendrils toward me and it all fades…

 

We are still here, only as a whisper in the wind, where peace can remain.

 

             

© 2011 Exa Lectric


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on September 12, 2011
Last Updated on September 12, 2011