A Song Of Meaning

A Song Of Meaning

A Stage Play by Allan
"

Northants Writers Ink were set the challenge to write a piece with the title 'Song of Meaning'

"

Song of Meaning


by Allan Shipham © 2013



Northants Writers' Ink creative writing group were set a challenge to create a piece of work with the title: 

'Song of Meaning'.



Music fades


D.J. Suzie: “Your listening to Praise Sunday, and we're now joined by Father Joe of the Wellingborough Peace Brotherhood. Welcome.”

Fr. Joe: “ Thank you; and thank you for inviting me here today.”

D.J Suzie: “A lot of people may not have heard of the Wellingborough Peace Brotherhood, what are the aspects of your ministry?”

Fr. Joe: “We work with some of the most challenging in society, helping them to find a better path, offering support and guidance in their time of need.”

D.J. Suzie: “That's very kind. We asked you if you'd share a 'Pause for Thought' today, and dedicate a song ...”

Fr. Joe: “Ah, yes. Well, I thought today, I'd share a though I had while listening to the radio yesterday. I was travelling between my sisters home in Swansea, and the radio studios here in Manchester. As I drove along the motorway, I though I'd listen to to football program, I knew Liverpool were playing and I like to follow them. Well, as the match played, the crowd almost drown out the commentator with a song the regular supporters sing: “You'll Never Walk Alone.”

D.J. Suzie: “By Gerry and The Pacemakers?”

Fr. Joe: “Yes, that's the one. Well, as I listened to the words of the song in my car, I realised that this song has different meanings to different people. If you take the lines:

'Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone.'
You get the feeling that to a football supporter, this is a motivational message to encourage the players on the field to keep positive, even if it's not a good game. To me, and to people who do the work I do, the words mean the same thing, but we have different challenges in our daily lives.”

D.J. Suzie: “What exactly do you mean?”

Fr. Joe: “Well, I might have to talk to a lady who's been recently widowed, someone who's son has just gone to prison, or someone who's just been burgled. For the football players, they know that how ever bad their day, their supporters appreciate their effort, and will stand beside them for doing the best they can. For me, I know that whatever I'm tasked to do today, and no matter who I'll meet, I will also never walk alone. For my faith in God means I believe that He, is also supporting me, and He is helping me in the moments that I face my hardest challenges.”

D.J. Suzie: “So, do you think that a particular song is like a....a... 'Song of Meaning?' to different people?”

Fr. Joe: “Indeed I do, and this song in particular has another message:

'Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Though your dreams be tossed and blown.'

This message is a warning that there may even be tougher times ahead, but we shouldn't lose sight, or faith. There'll be another game of football next week, or a different challenge for each of us tomorrow. The lyrics of this song also go on to tell us that it's all worth it in the end:

'At the end of the storm.
Is a golden sky.
And the sweet silver song of the lark.'

And I truly believe that there will be a golden sky for each of us, no matter what your back ground, and what challenges you have to face today.”

D.J. Suzie: “Well, I'd like to thank you for that insight, I'll certainly listen out for those words every time I hear this song again. And you've also chosen to dedicate this song, who'd you like to dedicate it to?”

Fr. Joe: “I'd like to dedicate it to anyone who hears it, my guess is, it's meant for you.”

D.J Suzie: “Thank you, Father Joe, and good luck with your ministry. Your Listening to Praise Sunday and here for you now is; Gerry and the Pacemakers: You'll Never Walk Alone.”


Voice Fades....


When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk

You'll never walk
You'll never walk alone.


Lyrics: 'You'll Never Walk Alone' © (R. Rogers/O. Hammerstein II)

© 2014 Allan


Author's Note

Allan
I am a Christian, but I have never written something like this before, this was my personal challenge.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on January 27, 2014
Last Updated on January 27, 2014
Tags: Priest, Disc Jockey, Walk Alone, Gerry, Pacemakers, Song Of Meaning.

Author

Allan
Allan

Wellingborough, Non-U.S./Canadian, United Kingdom



About
I am someone with a lot of life experience. I have been working on several projects: a murder mystery, a gritty biography about my job as a teacher and some poems. I joined East Midlands writing group.. more..

Writing
Way Way

A Story by Allan


Lamp-Post Lamp-Post

A Story by Allan


Vicky. Vicky.

A Screenplay by Allan