The Little Man

The Little Man

A Story by Allison Price
"

Through our little windows, we watch the world pass by.

"

Once upon a time, there was a little man who lived in a little hole. Every morning this little man would wake up, clean his little home, and prepare it for visitors. All the little man wanted was to have one visitor come to his home. Just one person, but day after day no one would knock on his little door. The little man thought that maybe it was because his home was not set up right, so he rearranged his little living room and his little kitchen, hoping that maybe someone would show up. No one did, so then the little man thought it was how he looked. The little man changed his whole wardrobe, hoping someone would come to visit. Still no one came. Feeling sad and defeated, the little man sat in his chair and watched all the other little people pass by his little home through his little window. As each person passed by the little man wondered why they did not ask to come in. Why did they not just knock on the door and ask to visit with him? As he watched all of his neighbors, the little man saw them going into each other’s homes. They would be standing outside of their doors and asking others to come in. Looking at his door, the little man started to think; maybe he should go out and invite people instead of sitting and waiting for them to invite themselves. With much hesitation, the little man walked to his little door and reached for the door knob, but just before he turned the handle he backed away.


“If people want to visit me, they will surely come and visit on their own accord,” the little man said to himself as he sat back down by his window.


Seasons passed and every morning the little man woke up and prepared his little home to have a guest. The sun rose and set, still no one came to visit the little man. People just walked passed his little home, not noticing that he was there. Years passed and the little man began to lose hope and got very lonely. He still prepared his home every morning, but when that was done he sat in his chair, by his little window, and watched all the people walk by.

His hair went from brown, to grey, to white, and pretty soon it was the little man’s last day. As he sat in his little hole, in his little chair, by his little window, he let out a little sigh and said, “I wished I had invited someone in” and with that, the little man took one last look at all the people passing by, closed his little eyes, and went to sleep. 

© 2013 Allison Price


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's really sad...I want to cry! Is there like a secret message here I'm not understanding... This is a great piece! Very well written. I like how you change the size for the "Little words" it gives emphasis.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Added on August 24, 2013
Last Updated on August 24, 2013
Tags: fiction, social, friends, lonely, people, life