The Road

The Road

A Story by Allison Price
"

As things fade away, we find what lasts for eternity.

"

Once there was a man, walking down a cold street. The cobble stones beneath his feet were sullen and dark, and the street lamps were sorrowful and dim. At the beginning of his walk, everything seemed so real to the man, so concrete and full of reality. Every detail screamed life and it was all undeniably tangible. Each stone, each piece of glass held such value to the man, so when something broke or became lost, he wept. He wept for what he believed was the most important parts of his delusional reality. Slowly, as his walked continued, the man had cried away all of his tear for his material things, and began to look forward in his walk, instead of at what was around him. As he looked forward, the man noticed something in the distance, in the middle of the straight road which he was walking down, a small light was shining. Upon first sight, the man turned away, for the light was too bright and it shinned above all the other things that he believed to be real and more important, yet as he walked on the light became more intriguing. The man could no longer look away, for the light filled him with a warmth that the dim street lights could never supply. Step by step, everything along the road began to fade away, and as the man got closer to the light in the center of the road, the less he cared for his bricks and cobble stones. His reality no longer seemed significant; it only slowed him in his walk. Soon everything that was behind the man faded into the darkness and became lost, yet the man never wept, never turned around to see where his once precious processions had gone, he simply focused on the light which was now filling his body with love and joy. In one last step, the man reached the small circle of light and as he looked at it a voice gently whispered, “A love never ending, never fading; a love that lasts for eternity. Put out your hands, for it is the gift I have always wanted to give.”  With a slight moment of hesitation, the man considered looking back at his street, at all the things he thought mattered, the things he thought would last, yet knowing that the one thing that would never fade, the one thing that would never leave, was standing before him. Without doubt, without fear, the man did not turn around and he reached out his hands. Suddenly another set of hands appeared and gracefully set the light into the man’s vacant hands. All the street lights, all the cobble stones, and the glass disappeared and the world was filled with light. The man, who was still looking at his once broken and empty hands, gazed up and saw the face of love, a love that is never ending, a love that lasts for eternity. 

© 2013 Allison Price


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

^^ me likes this very much it is AMAZINGLY AWESOME...I can see the journey the man is traveling. We all can relate to this, we all have things in our lives that we may think are important and will last, but in reality everything in this world shall pass away. The only thing that will last forever is the love and light you are speaking of here.

Good Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wonderful write. Love repairs everything

Posted 10 Years Ago


^^ me likes this very much it is AMAZINGLY AWESOME...I can see the journey the man is traveling. We all can relate to this, we all have things in our lives that we may think are important and will last, but in reality everything in this world shall pass away. The only thing that will last forever is the love and light you are speaking of here.

Good Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 18, 2013
Tags: love, material things, meaning, lost, light, joy