To Hide Her Despair

To Hide Her Despair

A Poem by allie_arrowz

The flowers,
They danced,
In her hair,

And she whisked,
And she twirled,
Without a care,

To the music in her soul,
Beating louder than her heart,


To hide her despair,
Her despair.

© 2012 allie_arrowz


Author's Note

allie_arrowz
When i wrote this, i had this idea of a story in which the main character would mumble or hum the tune of a song after each event in the story happened, and that each stanza of this poem would follow one of the events, and then at the end it would be revealed that the character was hiding their despair throughout the story....but i haven't written anything yet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like that it reads almost like a nursery rhyme, yet deals with the topic of despair. There is a strange discordance there that gives impact to the piece. In just a few words you get your point across extremely well. So much is said by that rhythm against the topic and the first 3 stanzas seemingly so happy...then, you reveal the truth hidden by her behavior.

I do have 2 very small suggestions, to consider if you wish - to me the "they" could be removed before "danced" without sacrificing anything

and the "a" could be omitted from line 6. Then it would just be "without care".
These may not work for you....just my take.

Really good and an example in packing a punch into a brief piece.


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

thanks so much! i'll take those critiques into consideration.
allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

i do think those changes would make the poem more fluid, but to me i've read it so many times that i.. read more
Shimmerbliss/CAF

11 Years Ago

I understand...just suggestions...you'll know what you want to do. Great poem either way.



Reviews

I see a picture of a free yet trouble spirit and a hypnotizing personality nevertheless. Very nice job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I had a moment very similar to this, except instead of flowers it was shots and I was dressed as a zombie... I love the structure of the poem--how it resembles a single swollen tear. She is hiding her emotions, but they construct her, just like the poem. Beautiful job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

haha interesting. thanks!
Elegant subtle conveying so much.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

thanks rusty!
I wish my tea pot could write as well as you.....this is a great poem, the kind of poetry I like, young, fresh, honest, there are many good words I could find to describe it, great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it. Good rhymeing and imagry about depression without being cheesey haha. good work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

thanks dude!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

623 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2012
Last Updated on July 4, 2012
Tags: flowers, dancing, music, soul, heart


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..