Destiny Chapter One

Destiny Chapter One

A Chapter by Allison Lyndel
"

This is a begging to the book. This is where you learn about Ricks past and his mystic backyard woods.

"

Destiny (IDK XD Hate thinking up titles before it’s done)

 

Chapter One: Birthday Wishes

                There’s a twinkling above me.  It’s so bright and I can barely see.  It calls my name in a twinkling bell like sound then blackness.

                My eyes fly open and I can’t help but look up.  The twinkling I’d seen in my dream was not above me; just a blank white ceiling.  I continue to look not being able to pull my eyes away as though at any moment it may appear, but it does not. 

After a few long minutes I sigh distraught finally letting my head drop back onto my pillow. I lift my hand reading the words written on my wrist over and over, “Keep out.”

                I have to stop dreaming about that day. 

It’d been about five years since it happened and still I can’t get it out of my mind.  I’d run after a baseball into our backyard woods.  Mother had threatened there were snakes in the woods.  Being a young boy I hardly headed her warnings.

 After I’d retrieved my ball I’d decided to go exploring.  I played back there for a few hours till the sun began to set.   After, I began to wander back to where I thought the house was not realizing how deep into the forest I’d gone.  I soon realized I was hopelessly lost.

 The moon rose and bushes rustled though no wind shook the trees.   I remember hearing or thinking I’d heard a twinkling whisper.   The bush nearest me lit with a brilliant light.  Curious and fearful I reached into the bush and felt a bite.  I’d cried out pulling my hand away.  Warm thick blood came from my wrist and only then had I remembered my mother’s warning. 

The rest of the night in my mind is a blur.  I probably imagined the light in the bushes and I diffidently had imagined what happened after.  I’d thought after I’d finally collapsed I’d seen a light and heard a much too beautiful voice calling my name.  Perhaps that was heaven calling.  That or the venom had gotten to my head.

I look at my hand at the wound it’d left.  The only thing I’d never be able to figure out.  It clearly read, “Keep out.”  I could make up excuses for everything else, but this?  What snake can write?

I stare at it harder letting my mind wander.   Keep out.  Keep out of what?  If this is a warning what am I supposed to stay away from?  The forest?  The bush?

I groan coming up with no real answer.  I slide my feet to the floor and walk to the window looking out at the now gated forest below.   After my mother had found me she’d been very upset.  The only way in or out was with a key my mother kept in her office drawer.

                I shake my head determined to stop thinking about it.  After all today I actually had something to look forward to. 

I walk downstairs and my mother smiles brightly.  “Happy Birthday Rick.”  Today I turned sixteen.  She embraces me with a warm hug then releases.  “What do you want for breakfast?”

I smile.  “Eggs.”

Mom begins to cook cracking two eggs into the pan.  “Rick we have things to talk about.”  Her voice is hesitant almost afraid.

What is she talking about?  “Like what?”

“Well for starters….” My mom thinks for a moment.  “Your dad.”

I’m stunned for a few moments.  Dad had died when I was only four months old.  I’d never known him, but always felt like I’d been close to him.  Why did she have to bring him up now?   What if she told me he hadn’t really died?  That he’d abandoned us.  I’d rather not know.   “I don’t want to talk about this.” 

My mom turns back to the eggs and I’m surprised and relieved she seems to have dropped the subject.  Then out of nowhere, “If you don’t want to know.  Don’t look under your bed.”



© 2013 Allison Lyndel


Author's Note

Allison Lyndel
Please review and enjoy

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's so good :)
I can't wait to read the rest

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Allison Lyndel

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review Madeline Rose. Look for more coming soon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
1 Review
Added on August 13, 2013
Last Updated on August 13, 2013
Tags: Dragon, Fantasy, Book, Novel, Fairy, Quest