The Catch

The Catch

A Story by Angelica

A tiny tear slowly fell from my chin onto the paper in front of me.  I sniffled trying to regain my composer but failing horribly.  Looking at the crowd in front of me, my vision instantly blurred as I thought of what I was to say next.  “Tonight is the day that we all have to say goodbye to Kyle.  Not for the rest of our lives as we can always keep on remembering the happy memories.  We just have to learn that why ever the reason that God chose to take him at such a young age.  It was meant to be…” the ceremony continued and I finished my blessing soon after.  In tears I walked down the steps to the pew where the rest of my family was.  My two younger twin sisters sat huddled against my mother, burying their heads in her sides.  They were old enough to understand the concept that Kyle was gone, but they still weren’t yet old enough to understand why.  Heck, even I wasn’t.  I still asked God why not me?  Why did it have to be Kyle that was in the car crash?

               Kyle being 17 was always out at some party, which involved the crazy things teens did these days.  All of which he chose to take part in.  Once again I couldn’t understand.  My parents told me it was the stress and pressure of trying to stay with the crowd.  I just couldn’t grasp the fact that he was willing to do things that could harm him.  When he finally did though, it was too late.  It was too late to take back all the bad things he did because this time, he went too far.  He actually made the unthinkable decision to go on a drive while under the influence.  In the end resulting in the fatal car crash.  His last words though were, “I just wanted to impress them…”  They weren’t ‘I love you’ or ‘I’m sorry’; they were him trying to explain the why.  Why he went to all the trouble of risking his own life. 

               The paramedics had said that while he was under the influence, the level of toxins in his body weren’t very high and they assumed he had been becoming sober again.  They had also explained that the road the crash was on was very curvy and it was raining outside, perfect conditions for anyone to crash.

               The catch was.  Kyle wasn’t the one driving.  His best friend was who had the same level of toxins in his body at the time of the crash as Kyle did.  The thing is he escaped with his life.  He severed a broken arm and a few bruises.  All the while, Kyle was ejected from the car when it flipped and hit his head on a rock.  No matter how many times Kyle’s friend apologized, it would still never bring my brother back.  And I had to live with the fact of wondering what if in life, what if Kyle hadn’t been in that car that night?  Or even at that party?  Would I still be able to tell him one last time in person that I loved him?  I will never know.

© 2013 Angelica


Author's Note

Angelica
I have experienced over 40 car crashes around me in these last few months, half of them ending in deaths. I've lost many people and this was written soon after the first one in September. It shows a lot of emotions that I had and saw other with. Sorry for the grammatical errors, I haven't really edited it yet. Thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was so good!! It was so sad, though:/ it's terrible losing someone no matter what the situation. Very well written and I hope you're doing alright!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Angelica

11 Years Ago

Thank you!! And yes I'm doing better but sadly there was another one last week the students are stil.. read more
❤ Maggie ❤

11 Years Ago

Aw, I am so sorry:/ I will be praying!! I hope everything starts lightening up!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
1 Review
Added on March 19, 2013
Last Updated on March 19, 2013
Tags: crash, death, brother, friend, sister, gone, love, drinking, car

Author

Angelica
Angelica

About
I am a Freshman in high school, and I have always loved to write. I hope that it has some future in my life as it is a way for me to escape. Some of my best pieces are short stories and poetry piece.. more..

Writing
I'm Bitter I'm Bitter

A Poem by Angelica