I n s a n i t y

I n s a n i t y

A Poem by alternative_be
"

Have you ever wondered about what makes the so called sane 'healthy' and the so called 'insane' mentally ill? These last few weeks I have been wondering...

"

 

S a n i t y
 
So you think you are sound of mind
And body too for you are the fool that has
Never been able to comprehend the
Inner dwellings under the skulls of those
That you will never be able to understand because
You are supposed to be so … sane

© 2008 alternative_be


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so intense and you are so right, sometimes we are quick to judge people for their actions and think right away they must be crazy... we here people say they have talked to God and some say noway you must be crazy yet they believe God exists so why not believe he talks to some. If we see someone walking down the street smiling and dancing around we would call them insane well how about they are just enjoying life... it's all these crazy standards that "Society" creates that seem to determine whether someone is crazy... to tell the truth then I'd rather be insane and enjoy life... Boy you really got me thinking today.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great acrostic with a powerful message in few words. Who is to say - what is the measurement of such things? I know many who have struggled with depression and other symptoms considered a type of mental illness but they may be some of the smartest and wise people I know. Thank you for sharing this.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lol! That's a very good point! Who's to say which of us are sane and which of us aren't? I think this idea would make a great story!

I like the way you used the word 'sanity' as the foundation of your poem. Very intriguing. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice work. It really give a strong message, now I am going to have to go off and think about it!


Great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, this is so spot on...!

I am of the opinion that I am only half-sane(the optimist's view of mental illness).
Not completely out of touch, and not all together with it. Most of my family agrees with me.

I see the mentally ill wandering the streets where I live, because there is no place else for them to go. They talk to themselves, and see things that aren't there. One particular woman loiters in front of fast food restaurants telling anyone who will listen about the micro-chips in her brain. The gov't put them there so they can read her thoughts. I asked my husband where she would get such an idea, his reply...

"How do you know there aren't chips in her brain?" Gotta love him.

I wonder sometimes if it is better to be completely out of touch. Could insanity be the same as blissful ignorance? I guess that depends on what your delusions are.

I know when I am being irrational and I can sense when my imagination is getting the better of me. Sometimes I guess I'd rather stay in my deluded dream.

Reminds me of E.A. Poe's "The System of Dr. Tarr & Professor Fether." Where the patients take over the asylum.
Alan Parsons wrote a song based on it...

"At the far end of your tether
And your thoughts won't fit together
So you sleep light or whatever
And the night goes on forever
The your mind change like the weather
Your in need of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether"

Some people are just sure they have it all together. Comforts them to feel so superior to those who struggle. I don't want to feel superior to anyone. I think I am glad to live my life with one foot in each world as long as there are people to help me keep them firmly placed. I wouldn't want to see the world in any other way.

Thanks for your poem today from... Ms. K

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I understand just as you feel, I see the stucture of this poem is very good, I love the wording and the fact is this poem makes very good since. Thank you for posting it.

~S. D. Blankenship the GOTHICCOWBOY

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I like that one a lot. Especially, I like that you show how fragile the difference between insanity and sanity is. From all accounts from people who actually worked in phsychiactric asylums it is very difficult, at first glance, to tell the innkeepers from the inmates. It's only when you get to know them that you realize that something is off. Then, I would imagine, you start to wonder about your own sanity. All of us have had moments where we snap, or use faulty judgement, or get stuck on a completely wrong thought. Does that make us insane?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well done. I love writing that makes me think (I say that all the time).

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

oh yes sanity ,much too much have been said about it ,this is what say:i think there is sick people who are insane and need treatment even that i really am not so sure,and there is people we call insane because they know a lot that we do not understand,so we call them insane but they are not,Italian Pirandello in his Henry the 6th he tells us very well that insane people,may laugh at us for they know things we do not ,they may pity us even ,so the great Pirandello says,this is nice and thoughtful as long as it gives me lots of ideas to think about ,i really liked it ,well done,M

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

495 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 29, 2008
Last Updated on August 13, 2008

Author

alternative_be
alternative_be

Somewhere in the country ..., Belgium



About
Dear all, I'm a 46 year old woman living in Europe. My passions are: reading, writing, poetry, blogging, languages, nature, walking, making friends. Curious? Who am I? You can read it all in th.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..