Wadaeaan Hamar!

Wadaeaan Hamar!

A Chapter by Amaranta
"

Kenda says goodbye to Mogadishu.

"

Kenda took one last look at Mogadishu. It was beautiful and sun-washed and dotted with the proud, green palm trees lining every street.

All beauty is secretly dangerous, Kenda thought bleakly.

Still, she loved Hamar greatly. Despite every thief and killer hiding in the city, there were flower gardens and good children and kind market vendors. The stray dogs that wandered through alleyways and dusty paths were friendly to her. Kenda also had a large group of friends. Her best friend, Safa Haddad, had thrown Kenda a going-away party yesterday. It was fun; Safa promised to keep in touch. Kenda promised to visit as soon as she got a chance.

Initially, Kenda was against leaving, but Safa told her that she would have a great time. She could work on English and make connections and find new friends.

“I don’t need new friends,” Kenda complained.

“You make friends everywhere you go,” Safa reminded her, which made Kenda smile. Before Kenda boarded the plane with her family, Safa said, ku qabso ― Enjoy it. Kenda blinked away tears and made a quick prayer to God to watch over Safa and her family and all of Kenda’s friends and family in Somalia. She said goodbye to Mogadishu and all of the thieves and killers and small children and stray dogs in the marketplace.

In Canada, she would be in grade ten. Kenda had never been the new kid at a school. For her whole life Kenda had gone to a private school in Mogadishu, and had grown up with all of her friends. Kenda’s younger brother Mehdi was excited to move because he heard that everyone in Canada eats pancakes with syrup every morning.



© 2016 Amaranta


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

295 Views
Added on March 17, 2016
Last Updated on March 17, 2016
Tags: rosewater, teenager, high school, angst, somalia, mogadishu, muslim


Author

Amaranta
Amaranta

Vancouver, Canada



About
determinedly abstract and elusive more..

Writing
Fruit Fruit

A Poem by Amaranta