You Are Worth MORE

You Are Worth MORE

A Poem by Amber Jo
"

I struggle with anxiety and depression as do several of my closest friends. I felt like writing this for anyone who is feeling down about themselves or their current life situation.

"
YOU ARE WORTH MORE.

This is for the people who feel as though all the cruel, hurtful, disgusting words people have called them throughout their life has made marks all over their skin. This is for the people who feel as though what society thinks is all that matters. This is for the people who look at themselves in the mirror and count all the things they hate about themselves instead of all the things that make them extraordinary. This is for the people who can’t find the strength in themselves to learn to love their body and appreciate how far they have come. This is for the people who have given up hope. This is for the people that believe their voice will never have any sort of meaning. This is to you because you are worth more.

That number on the scale? That’s what’s worthless, not you. Your value is not measured in weight. That remark some person at work or school made, knowing you’d hear it, and acting like you wouldn’t? Useless. Words hurt, I know that they do. I also know it’s hard to drown them out. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. That doesn’t mean you should let someone’s b.s. dictate the way you’re supposed to feel about yourself. Society kills, but you know what’s worse than society? Your own mind. Your mind is what will kill you before society does. Don’t let it. Don’t let pointless words tell you who you are. You were put on this Earth to find out for yourself who you are. Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. 

Now, the mirror. Why do we hear ‘you’re beautiful’ and think ‘is that person blind?’ It’s probably because we don’t believe it for ourself. Beauty�" it’s a weird concept, isn’t it? What makes something beautiful? How about instead of letting some random guy on google tell you, find out for yourself. Anything can have beauty if you’re willing to open your eyes and see it. And believe it or not, one of the most people creatures is staring back at you in that mirror. Maybe your skin isn’t perfect and your hair is a mess, but why let that define you? Beauty runs deep, at least in my opinion it does. On the outside counts. It definitely does. But let’s look on the inside. Do you have a heart? Of course you do. Do you have a soul? Absolutely. Are you willing to share those pieces of you with someone else even if it frightens you? I hope you said yes. Letting others see who you truly are is the most lovely thing there is. Love comes in all forms, remember that. 

You are an extraordinary being, messy hair, ripped jeans, extrovert, introvert, and all.

Since you’re still a living human, you have come far. Whether you’re a teenager, an adult, or an elderly. You have come far. You are a story. You are the captain of your ship. You are strong and you will make it through whatever obstacle you face because you’ve gotten through the other stuff, haven’t you? 

Now don’t get me wrong, it’s sad how easy it is to hate yourself because you feel like you aren’t good enough even when you know you’re trying your hardest. It’s natural to let the voices in your head get out of control. But I promise you, one day you’ll wake up and feel hopeful. One day you’ll look back and wonder about why you ever hated yourself in the first place. One day you’ll see how brave were to of battled your mind until you found a sense of peace. One day the number on a scale won’t mean a thing. One day those random kids who don’t even know you won’t matter. One day you’ll see. One day you’ll feel so worthy it’ll make your head hurt. One day you’ll learn that your voice is a gift and it will help open your soul so other’s can see how beautiful you are. 

Go find the things in yourself that make you extraordinary that make people love you.

© 2016 Amber Jo


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beauty is an inner light. It always shines through, if you let it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have a powerful message here! I never really thought myself as beautiful, even though others have said otherwise. Reading this is a very good reminder of who we are on the inside. We are stars, inside and out, and we have to let that light shine.

Thanks for this!

Posted 8 Years Ago


"You are the captain of your ship". That's a great line. Very powerful. It also inspires other thoughts such as adventure and excitement. The adventure and excitement you create in your own life. Whether that's sitting on your couch reading a book or out dancing with friends. Everyone's excitement in life is different. Thanks for sharing this

Posted 8 Years Ago


Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! You are really inspiring.....I truly believe that anyone who reads it will find inspiration and strength and a new vision for life.....Your words reach to the core of the heart....It will really help the reader to know his own worth.....Brilliant job....Full ratings mate.....

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 17, 2016
Last Updated on January 17, 2016
Tags: stay strong, change, love, body love, self love, challenges, life, worthy, you are worth more, anxiety, depression

Author

Amber Jo
Amber Jo

NJ



About
I'm a twenty year old lady who has had a knack for writing since I was a little girl. I'm an introvert and spend most of my time reading or playing guitar. I'm really keen on decent grammar, and I dri.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..