Through the eyes of a child

Through the eyes of a child

A Story by Imperfection
"

I dedicate this to all the women who have silently sacrificed their happiness so that their children could have a life.

"

 

 

 

 

 

She was only six; unable to comprehend the situation. But she was trying her best to understand. She'd positioned herself behind the curtain and clinging to it tightly, she tried to overhear their conversation.

 

What were they fighting about? She had never seen her cry. Why was she so upset? And he…? What was he scolding her for…?

 

She could see her sobbing. Her lips moved to say something. But her voice was not audible. Whatever it was that she tried to express, he remained unruffled. Insensitive to her emotions, his sarcastic tongue continued to lash out at her. Finally he got up, gave her a scornful look and started putting on his shoes.

 

Was he leaving for work now?

 

From behind the curtain, she saw her father slam the door and walk out. Her mother buried her face in the wall and started wailing even louder.

 

She came out of her hiding place. Tears were beginning to swell up in her eyes too. With her plump little hands, she wiped them away and pulled at her mother’s dress.

 

The woman who turned around to face her only child had a face that was once beautiful but stress and strain had taken a toll on her health and the obvious signs were beginning to show. Her body was slender and proportionate; to those who asked her how she maintained that figure, she always replied with a smile. If they knew how hard she worked each day –attending to an ailing mother-in-law, bringing up her little daughter and living up to the expectations of her dictator-husband, they would know how she lost those calories that others were so worried about. Her husband was a selfish creature who had no sense of consideration for her. At times she felt like a machine…fulfilling the demands of everyone without having any needs of her own. He wasn’t physically abusive but the mental torture he subjected her to, everyday was as unbearable as physical wounds. Or perhaps worse. He would flare up on the slightest pretext – if his clothes were not ironed, if the food didn’t please his taste buds or even if she was late in answering the phone if he called from work.

 

She had had enough. Today was the day. She had to leave. She would go to her parent’s house and try to find a job. But she knew she wouldn’t be able to take her child, until she found a place of her own. That would take time. Months. Maybe years. Maybe never. What kind of job would help a 36 year old woman with no career or proper qualifications, to bring up a child? Yet she was trying to convince herself to walk out today. Come what may, she had to be strong. She had to break the news to her child. It was painful to get the words out of her mouth. But she did -

 

‘Mamma is leaving, sweetheart’

 

What? Has it come to this? But this happened only in movies. Daddy was strict and treated Mamma poorly. What would happen without Mamma? What would I do…?

 

The child started sobbing loudly now. She clung to her mother the way a dying man clings to life. She could feel her mother’s touch on her head. She looked up with her black eyes brimming with tears and an expression that tore her mother’s heart apart, and asked a single question…a question that changed the course of her life forever. And imprisoned her mother to a lifetime of sorrow.

 

‘What will happen to me, Mamma?’

 

The woman hugged her baby tightly and kissed her forehead. They cried together. Then she picked her up and clutching her small body close to her chest, walked back to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator.

 

‘What would you like to have for lunch, baby?’

 

 

It has been more than two decades since that day. Circumstances made sure that the little girl grew up fast. She tried to be what her mother wanted her to be. Her first priority in life is and was to make her mother happy. There was no change in the behavior of her insensitive father. But her parents hardly ever quarreled again. Perhaps her mother had reconciled to the fact that she had to stay with him for the sake of the child. There was no way out.

 

The little girl in the story often wonders how life would’ve been like had she not interrupted her mother’s thoughts that day. Sometimes, she feels guilty for being the obstacle between her Mamma and her Mamma’s happiness. Perhaps, what makes it worse is the fact that her Mamma never mentioned that incident again, never said that she sacrificed her life so that her daughter could have a proper upbringing - a comfortable life and the best education – things that she couldn’t have afforde, otherwise.

 

This is a story of selflessness.

Selflessness of a mother for her child. At the cost of everything else.

 

© 2008 Imperfection


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Simply amazing.

OMG I have tears in my eyes and a huge knot in my throat.

This story is so painful. And how true, we sacrifice so much for our children. We want them to have everything we couldn't have. We want them to have the best life in the world. And if that means sacrificing our happiness, so be it. Our children are worth any and every sacrafice. They should never feel guilty of what we do for them.

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

To see through the eyes of a child through the whole ordeal, and the sacrifice the mother had to make for her child, this is just fantastic, to walk through it in words, kept me focused and interested right to the end, sad, yet an amazing story, did well in sharing for the aid of all that go through or might perhaps go through this, not of their choice, but happens! A really great story!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Th is happens all the time in life. I know, I was the mother. But I took my kids with me. We are safe and have a good home. My parents had a bad life together. The I fell into the same kind of marriage. So many wemon need to know there is a way out of them. Well written story!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it isn't just the idea of a mother being pulled into sacrificing everything for her child that makes this story tear jerking, it is the fact that sometime, somewhere this was a true story. These things happen nearly every day, and it isn't something that can be changed, but it is worth it. The had work and strain that a parent throws at life is rewarded twice fold by the child's smile. Great write

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story can give tears to anyone.
After finishing it, I was just still for a moment, wondering now what could I write about it...
As a reader, I was just so much into it...
The way you have depicted the selfless maternal sacrifice in it is simply brilliant, also, I love your style of narration in it!
You are indeed one of the most talented writers here and this story proves that so well!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh boy. On her death bed, my mother told me "my life was never my own". She had gone from being mommies little helper in Scotland, came over to America and became a Nanny, then married and raised five children, all of whom gave her grief she didn't need. Once you become a mom, you've made a committment. All mothers sacrifice, it is the nature of the mom. Of course the little girl asked the best question possible... lest all her Dad's fury had no where to go but to the innocent left behind with him. And if mom ever did get into a place where she could come back for her daughter.... would Daddy even let her go?
It's a heartbreaking story, for sure. Is it right to stay together for the kids? Is it better to leave? I watch two families falling apart at the seems everyday. One in the midst of divorce... the other holding on. Neither scene is a good one. Life is not perfect, and certainly not fair.
I was once told I had no empathy. It's not that I don't. It's that I believe we are spirits above all else, and that this earth is our classroom. We come here to learn, grow, transcend. I believe we pick our parents, we choose our deaths, all of it. Not a common view, I'm sure, and it may not be good feedback.

The story itself was at once shattering and heartbreaking. The only part that seemed off was that a 6 year old had already seen movies where mommies and daddies broke up. At that age, I'd like to think she was still busy watching cartoons and playing with dolls... but of course.... there's that imperfect world issue again.

Excellent, moving write. Great job.

And if you happen to be that 6 y/o all grown up.... I wish you lots of hugs and healing... do forgive yourself.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i think this is such a true stroy, because i myself know how parents sacrifice do much for their children. Through the middle of the story i was beginning to get mad because i thought the mother was actually going to leave, but i'm glad you changed it, i actually makes the story much more realistic but also much more unique.
the only thing that i have to say that is negative, is that in the beginning, it is all through a child's eyes, but then it switches abruptly to the mom's thoughts. i think it you made it work really well, but it kind of lessened the value because i was expecting it to be the child's view throughout the whole thing.
Still, i actually don't think you need to worry about that very much, because the story still works and flows really well! I really liked it! Great story and good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a heartbreaking story. The love the mother has for her child is incredible and comes shining through these words brilliantly.

I'm not a mother yet, but I hope to be someday. I hope I love my babies enough to give them everything. I also hope it never comes to living in a situation like this.

This is so well written and definitely caught my attention and held it. I wonder, too, what it would have been like for the little girl if her Mamma had gone, but I'm glad she stayed because little girls needs their mommies.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how.'" - Viktor Frankl

Thank you for posting this. A gentle reminder, sorely needed.

Kristina

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a moving story of Love and emotional warfare. So many have lived this that most of us at least know someone who has lived through this type of thing and the reader can feel the emotion and confusion
the Mom must have felt. Great write.
Debby

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

789 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 22, 2008
Last Updated on May 22, 2008

Author

Imperfection
Imperfection

India



About
�Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a piece of blank paper until your forehead bleeds� - Douglas Adams. I am a woman in my 20's. I love writing...sometimes it doesn't.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain